“Could use improvements”

Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Minneapolis
“Could use improvements”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This used to be a run down Best Western and as of yet has shown little improvement. The mattress was worn and you can feel the springs on your body as you try to sleep to the noise of aircraft landing.

The bathroom tub didn't drain and the soap and shampoo are something you might find at the dollar store.

The front lobby has shown improvement but still quite shabby.

I expect a much higher quality from the Wyndham name and this doesn't even come close.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Our flight was cancelled and this was the only option within 25 miles so we stayed. The minute you walk in there is a terrible smell and it is not just in the lobby. The hotel is old, dated and is more like a motel from the 70s. It appeared clean but due to the smell, it left me wondering.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This property is being converted from an old worn out Best Western to a Wyndham.
It looks like they are dumping lots of money Into the place, but in my opinion have missed some critical details.
Pros: staff is very friendly and accommodating. Lobby, atrium and hallways (where it looks like they spent most of the money) are fantastic and very inviting. But where do you spend the majority of time while at the hotel. Your room.
Now the Coms:
You can see where they tried to update the rooms, but not completely. My bathroom smelled like old urine. (I went out and purchased a scented candle) You can see around the electrical plugs the years of dirt and smoke that has accumulated. When they removed the old ceiling fan in re bathroom and places a grate over it, you can still see the ring of the old fan along with the years of crud right through the new grate. Just a little more detail to the room renovation and this could be a top notch hotel. But that's what happens when you try to save a few pennies. You lose dollars.
Ok for they money, but if you are paying over $90 to stay here, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was so disappointed in this hotel. Dirty, loud, musty. The first girl at desk not very clear or helpful about the airline parking. Great location but I would never stay there again. I saw reviews from Park, Sleep, Fly so I didn't check trip Advisor...big mistake

Room Tip: Go down the street to Fairfield or Hampton Inn
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Benton, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We needed a place to stay overnight to catch an early flight the next day. We had difficulty being picked up at the airport when we dropped the rental car. We had difficulty finding our room after the person at the desk sent us the wrong way. There was construction going on. The AC didn't work properly in the room. The worse was the cafe where we hoped to catch a burger before going to the room. People were getting up and leaving because of the service. The manager was contacted and nothing happened. We will NOT stay here again. Wyndham has a great reputation that the will lose with this property in its current condition

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. The Sheraton was great on an earlier trip.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lane P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is the worst Wyndham I have ever stayed at. It was in poor conditiom and is in dire need of renovation. The entire hotel reeks of must and mildew. The only fortunate thing (I think) is I did not pay since Delta gave me a free night due to travel issues. I almost wish I would have payed and stayed elsewhere. The hotel bar was ok. There is really nowhere else to go and overpriced for what you gett. Miller Lite is $4 a pint. I couldn't believe it since this was such a low budget hotel. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raquel Q
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was very very very impressed by this hotel. I was booked here by Delta after missing a connecting flight due to a delay. First thing I thought was great is that the shuttle runs to and from the airport 24 hrs, every 30 mins, very convenient that you dont have to call and request one. one less hassle for distressed passengers and guests in general. I was also not expecting to stay somewhere so nice. was a very nice hotel. Check in was very quick and easy with the hotel voucher, staff was VERY friendly... all had smiles on their faces, enthusiastic ready to make guests happy. This made me feel a lot better after having such a frustrating trip. Last thing you need is a hassle at check in and a grouchy guest services rep. I was starving when I arrived because I had spent hours flying and trying to make other arrangements, and I heard that their restaurant was open until 12 midnight. I found that to be very impressive and extremely convenient because most places I have stayed the restaurants close pretty early, 10 or 11. I assumed by the time I arrived (11pm) AND it being a monday the restaurant (IF they had one) would be closed and i'd be without food, but I still had time to settle in my room and order something to eat, so i was very very pleased by this. The staff (and manager "KD" especially) were all extremely accommodating. I had a situation where I felt a strange man was following me around the hotel and to my room, and the manager KD came up to my room to assure me that I was safe, and told me that he would do all he could to make sure I was safe, even if it meant coming to walk the halls ever 30 mins. He let me know there were cameras watching everywhere, and that there would be staff members around throughout the night. He let me know where they'd be if I needed something. He even came to walk me downstairs in the morning when I left to catch my flight, helped me with my luggage, too. Being a 23 year old female stuck in a big city of which I'm unfamiliar, i felt very alone, nervous and afraid and I was really just amazed at the amount of effort the manager put into making me feel like i was right at home. I don't feel I would have received that elsewhere. While I was there I noticed that they have some nice amenities too... a really nice sundry store, indoor and i think outdoor pool too, hot tub... they have complimentary breakfast (wanted to stay for but my flight was too early).. they have a laundry service... really nice bar and restaurant with great hours... Also they have wonderful rates, $60 bucks even less. I feel you get so much here for the money. I would love to stay here again. I am very happy that I ended up staying at Wyndham Garden Inn especially since i never have before... Hard to believe ppl have had bad experience here. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Completely exceeded my expectations in just about every way. I look forward to booking with them in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo