Magnuson Hotel Detroit Airport
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Bad night of storms in the Detroit are and elsewhere led to several flight delays and cancelations. This literally was the last hotel with rooms in the airport area.

Like another reviewer, I had a bad feeling when I walked in the lobby. It only got worse from there. The room was very musty (the air conditioner was not on despite it being a hot/humid day) and smelled heavily of smoke (like a Marlboro Convention had just ended). The beds, physically, were in terrible shape. The box springs were badly stained. I did a cursory check for bed bugs and felt comfortable enough to crawl in a fall asleep. The mattress was not comfortable and needs to be replaced very badly.

The bathroom? Well, if you've seen Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, you get the idea. Only I think Del Griffith's underwear was bigger than the "bath towels".

My travel companion who stayed in the room next to me woke up with several bug bites. So far, I seem to be bite-free but will update the review if anything changes.

If there are flight cancelations and you are desparate, it's up to you whether you stay here or not. But I would have been happier sleeping in the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank svenska572

Reviewed 27 July 2014

To start my stay the guy at the front desk was a real jerk. First to me and then to the person that was trying to help from the booking agency. When I got into the room it was hot and the air conditioner was not operational. The room had a very odd smell and the bathroom smells like urine. There are no blankets in the room only 2 sheets sewed together as a throw over the bed. Oh and don't forget the prostitutes walking the hall. Don't be fooled by the lobby this is not a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Delta airlines put me up here when I missed a flight out of Detroit Metro. It is a terrible place. There was a long line to check in. When I got to the room there were no towels, which meant another wait in line. They had no restaurant open, so I dined on peanuts and V-8 juice. Months later I noticed a charge I did not recognize on my credit card. It was a fraudulent charge from this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just stayed here last night as I had a long nite layover flight. After walking through the front door, u sense a creepy hotel. The smell is dingy and reeks of old-stale smoke. While checkin in, a drunk walks down the creeky stairwell. In the room, the interior safety latch is not even secured to the door frame, mirrors and pictures are crooked on the walls. Behind the bathroom facet has not been wiped down w brown slime, pieces of dentures down in the sink pipe, toilet paper holder had mis-matched ends, sink itself loose, shower head lose w exposed rusted piping. Towels felt like heavy-grit sandpaper. Clock was off an hour. On the positive side, front desk clerk was nice, shuttle to airport was on time and hotel is very close to airport.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were greeted at 3am by a very cheery friendly man by the name of Steve. When we came down in the morning he was still there and still very cheery and friendly. We stayed for a couple nights and Steve was there each day. He was such a warm friendly man, I can't say enough. We were going to A Detroit Tiger game. Being July, my husband didn't bring any warm clothes and it was a very cool day. Steve found him a warmer shirt then what my husband had and let him borrow it. Steve went beyond our expectations. I can't express enough how wonderful he made our stay. The hotel overall, all though a no frills Hotel, was very clean and pleasant. If you are in Romulus and don't want to pay a fortune for amenities that you don't even use, go to Magnuson. Being greeted and helped by Steve alone is worth it :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had a bad feeling as soon as entering the room. Room smells horribly musty, sheets had stains on them. Only reason I did not leave was because a flight had been cancelled and it was the only room I could get after midnight. I woke up the next morning with bed bug bites. Should have left and slept in airport.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I can't think of one reason to stay at this hotel (the $55 I paid was way too much!). Reasons not to stay: very poorly maintained property; no locking entrance on the side (wide open door and no key or card needed to enter the hotel); dog bowls under the ice machine (don't know what that was about . . . maybe people "live" at this property??); door jam to our room looked like the police (or someone else) had made a forced entry; holes in walls; heater didn't work (just blew out room-temperature air); towels were dingy and gray (would have been white if they'd been bleached clean); our non-smoking room smelled of stale smoke (when I told the clerk at the front desk, he didn't say a word and just handed me a can of air freshener); many rooms available the night of our stay, but they placed another party in the room right next door (and that group was up half the night with the TV blaring); no fitness facility (well, there was a room with broken-down equipment and other "junk"); no continental breakfast (only coffee provided, but I don't drink coffee . . . wouldn't have dared try it if I did); very filthy restroom in the area off the front lobby; clerk very dismissive of my dissatisfaction upon check-out (just laughed it off); overall the place had a very creepy feeling about it. No wonder the receipt I received says, "There are no refunds after 15 minutes of check-in." They must realize that it takes just about 16 minutes to decide that you don't want to stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family