“This was our last time here.”
Review of Baldo's Restaurant

Baldo's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 79 Restaurants in Romulus
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Michigan
“This was our last time here.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My family has been coming to Baldos for >25 years. For years, my husband & I came 1-2x/week (typically spending $25-30 ea time) & we often brought others with us & spent considerably more. This was our "go to" place (close to home, good hours, nice service, & consistent food). We quit dining here about a year ago because they INSIST on keeping the temperature uncomfortably cold, year round. We would ask them to adjust it & they typically agreed it was too cold yet refused to change it! When everyone in the dining room is wearing their winter coat during dinner, there's a problem! I finally got sick of it & decided that we would just quit going there. It has been about a year & my husband wanted to try them tonight... Still too cold inside & they still wouldn't fix the problem! Service has gone WAY downhill--waitress was inattentive. Husband ordered med-well steak & it arrived med-rare. He sent it back to be corrected & she quickly returned it (but didn't wait to see if it was prepared to his liking!). It was more charred on the outside but still med-rare inside (see photo). He didn't want to eat it but finally started to because she never returned. He finished the whole thing & we still hadn't seen her again! I finally had to ask another waitress if she could find her!

2 Thank Kona-ray

Flat Rock, Michigan
“Great Sauce and Peppers”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We recently met at Baldo's to plan for a Motorcycle Trip for the upcoming season. We had a table for 10. Our waitress was very fast and excellent and our food ranged from Chicken to pasta with spicy sausage and peppers. It was really good food. Everyone enjoyed their meal and exclaimed how the service added to the experience. Great Job! Will definitely eat there again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RonaldandMarianne
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently travelled to Michigan for a hockey tournament and needed to find somewhere for our group dinner on the Saturday night for the tournament. One of our hockey rinks was just down the street from Baldo's, so we stopped in on Friday to see about a reservation for Saturday. With a reservation of 51, we had already been told by Olive Garden that they had no interest in our business as they were unable to handle that many people, but the staff at Baldo's were really impressive and offered their "banquet" menu as an option. We were able to select an option for the group from a list of various banquet options which included several dishes served family style to the table. On Saturday we were seated immediately, and the staff were very efficient, getting salads and drinks out immediately. The garlic rolls came out first and wow, they were fantastic!! We also had a 2 pasta dishes (tube pasta and meat ravioli), meatballs and pizza. The portions were very generous and the food was fantastic!! And it turned out in our party we had a family that does not eat pork (I was not aware so did not plan for that) and the restaurant immediately accommodated us with an order of cheese ravioli and changed one of the pizzas to veggie without batting an eye. The staff that waited on our table were really great - polite, friendly, and efficient.
My only advice is that if you go with the banquet option, make sure you get the reservation number right. We had 51 people coming, then at the last minute 2 families decided to send their sons and they didn't want to come so our reservation changed to 45. We still had to pay for the full 51. I don't blame the restaurant for this, though I think they could have given us a break on half of the empty seats since we told them as soon as we arrived. BUT lesson learned by me (I've never encountered this type of menu option in Toronto) and in future I will underestimate my numbers by about 5 and add on when I arrive, and also know to ask if this is the case and tell the families we will have to pay anyway if they don't join us.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Ginger163
Woodhaven, Michigan
“Great reasonable food.”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Excellent Italian food. Their meat sauce is the best anywhere. My wife and I eat there often. My favorite is the baked meat ravioli. They are reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Don J
Michigan
“Bad business...”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Myself and my family have been patrons of Baldo's for many years now. I can remember eating there frequently as a young girl when they were located in the smaller building before they built their current location. I recently had a bad experience with a carry out order which was handled very poorly by the management, which is why I will not be eating at Baldo's again. I ordered gnocchi with marinara sauce and told the young lady that I was a vegetarian, and when I got home (a 20 minute drive later) I opened my food and found that they had made it with meat sauce. I called there and they offered to give me a credit for next time, which really would not be a good solution since as a vegetarian I would not be eating the one with meat sauce that I was given. I told them that I would like to pick one up made the proper way, so I drove there and back again (a 40 minute round trip) and when I was there I asked if I could get a refund because of the inconvenience it caused and the mistake was on their end. They told me they could not give me a refund because they made it over again. I should have just told them right then that I didn't want their food and I just wanted my money back, but I just left instead. When I called up there a few minutes later and asked to speak with the manager I told her what happened and she said they could give me something next time. I told her that I don't want anything next time and I am considering no longer giving them my business. I told her that I thought it was rude that they did not refund my money and stated that I had originally ordered my food at 4:31 pm and it was already 6pm and I was not even home yet because of a mistake that they had made and that I had driven a total of 80 minutes because of their mistake. Her reply was "sorry" and about 5 seconds later she hung up on me. I will absolutely not be giving Baldo's my business again, and I think it is ridiculous that they would be so rude...not only to not give a refund for something that was clearly their fault, but then to hang up on me when I calmly explained what happened and my frustration over the situation. Shame on you Baldo's!!! I hope you get better business practices in the future, but until then you will no longer be getting my business!

• Visited December 2012