“Cramped inadequate rooms with outdated decor”

Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
GreenLeadersBronze level
VT
“Cramped inadequate rooms with outdated decor”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I am a business traveler on the road 3 weeks per month. I am also a Platinum member at both Hilton and Marriott, so yes I have standards but I do not think they are over the top standards. I stayed at this hotel for a personal short vacation in the middle of October 2012. . I was placed on the concierge floor (member floor) and was shocked when I arrived at the room and was unable to get the luggage trolley into the room due to furniture overcrowding. I contacted the front desk to inquire if there were larger rooms available and was informed all rooms were this size. The rooms are the size of a closet (maybe 12’ x 12’) and are overcrowded with furniture (oversized desk, chair, ottoman, dresser and an appliance cabinet). The room was outdated and dirty especially in the bathroom. To top things off I went to the concierge lounge to grab a desert only to find fingerprints in all the brownies! With all the hotels in this immediate area I would strongly encourage hotel seekers to select any of the area Hilton hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QCcutie
Tammy P, General Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
It is very disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our property. We value your imput and we are looking at options to improve the flow of the room. We do have some rooms that are slightly smaller then others and we should have offered another option. I have also addressed your concerns with the housekeeping team and the food and beverage team. Please contact me directly if you would like to reconsider staying with us on your next trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 October 2012

A few days before arriving to this hotel we received an email from management asking if there was anything in particular we required for our stay. We have stayed at many Marriott hotels and never received an email like this. We were very impressed.

We replied requesting an upgrade (which we normally get as we are platinum) and some information about the airport shuttle. Brandon promptly responded confirming our upgrade and gave us the information we needed.

When we arrived at the airport, the shuttle was there within 30 seconds. At the hotel we were served by Sal at reception who was extremely helpful and professional. We were given breakfast and appetizer vouchers as the concierge lounge was closed. A lot of Marriotts don't offer vouchers when the concierge lounge is closed so again we were very impressed.

The suite was very nice and huge.

The only reason I haven't rated this hotel 5 star is because the only restaurant option is a pub which makes it difficult for people that don't want to be in a pub environment, of any sort.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
PeppeWrangler
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

This is a good choice if you're looking for something close to the airport. It's about five minutes from the rental car drop off. I received vouchers for free breakfast. The breakfast was good, ample selection, though they aren't readily set up for orders "to go"- you have to ask. Also at the bar for dinner two nights and it was good. Nothing to write home about, but solid pub fare.
I also overheard another guest saying that if you hang the no maid service card on your door, you receive a $5 coupon. I didn't notice the card though.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank PeppeWrangler
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed one night and it was a nice stay. We had to call for the shuttle which came in a reasonable time - we arrived after 10 pm on a Friday night. We had an easy checkin and was greeted kindly. Brandon, the front desk manager, was very nice and provided us a nice room. We are gold so we received breakfast vouchers for breakfast in the restaurant since the concierge lounge is closed on the weekend. Breakfast was nice and the service was really good. The hostess and servers were very pleasant and attentive. The buffet bar was clean and sufficient but it didn't have a large variety of items. Food was good and fruit was fresh. The room was clean and nice as is with most Marriott full service hotels. No surprises except our first room was left ajar/open when we arrived so we went back to the desk and we were provided a new room and it was just fine. I requested a room closer to the elevator this time and it was much better since the other room was a bit away from the elevators. It's nice to know that Marriott is consistent and you know what you are getting. We had a nice stay albeit just one night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This is a decent Marriott that is very convenient to the airport. Room was clean with a comfy bed. The shuttle service to/from the airport was very prompt and efficient and I didn't have to rent a car for my one night stay. There is a cozy Irish pub in the lobby that serves breakfast in addition to lunch and dinner. There is also a small shop next to the front desk with incidentals and snacks for purchase. Staff was polite and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if I have business at the Detroit Airport.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I had a good time at the hotel. I had stayed before. The last time I had trouble with the WiFi, but it looks like it was my fault. Close to the highway, and for me close to family. I got a double this time and it was rooomy. Will stay again. I would have gave the hotel a 5, if they had a breakfast buffet like the Embassy up the street.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Washington DC
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My family paid $96 plus tax to spend a night at this hotel (discounted because we belong to Marriott's membership program at the elite level) and we were not disappointed. There is nowhere to walk to near the hotel but if you're just killing time in between flights, there are worse places to do so. Our room was functional, clean and satisfying. We ate breakfast on the club floor and it was tasty. The fitness center wasn't anything to write home about. But the staff was attentive and we made the most of the free airport shuttle. Overall, a good-value hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romulus
Comfort Inn Metro Airport
Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Metro Airport
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport Romulus
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport

Been to Detroit Metro Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!