“Older Building”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, United States
“Older Building”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a full service Marriott that is showing it's age. I was on the third floor facing the front entrance, so it was pretty quiet. The bed and work area in the room are quite comfortable. Cool Irish pub in the hotel, and an excellent breakfast (for $14 plus tip mind you). The people are very friendly and helpful. There are some things typical of older hotels that need to be mentioned: Not enough plugs in the rooms, noisy air conditioner, charge for internet, etc. One big issue that I can't understand is that they have beautiful 42" flat screen TVs in the rooms, but don't provide HDTV channels? That seems like short money to improve the experience. If you are on business (and an expense account) this hotel is good. If you want to eat a little cheaper, there isn't much to choose from nearby except for a Bob Evans down the road. Not a bad experience at all, just not great.

2 Thank Michael G
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Michael G,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I especially want to thank you for your high rating and kind words of our overall service. It is certainly the service we excel at here with the limitations we face with operating an older property.

I am happy to inform you of current renovations which will take our product to a new level and will include more plugs/outlets, as well as updated and modern guest rooms. We truly appreciate the feedback you give to us, and aim to improve and provide to you a brilliant experience with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was our 4th stay at this property and I'm not sure that I will return. In order to give an accurate review, I'm going to break this out into sections.

Staff:
Amazing. So helpful and friendly. We had to switch room types last minute and it was no problem. Our friend's flight plans got messed up and they needed a last minute room which was no problem. Same friend forgot an item and Adam at the front desk helped us box it up. Every staff person we encountered was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The staff alone makes me say "maybe" on returning.

Rooms:
Tired. They do have boards up by the elevators showing remodel plans. This cannot happen soon enough! Although I did not find the décor itself offensive, our room was NOT well maintained. I took a Kleenex to the dust on the bathroom exhaust fan. Our room also had evidence of extensive water damage (I think) on the walls -- which bubbly wallpaper and flaking pieces. Not at all what you expect from a full service Marriott.

Common areas:
The pool area needs some serious TLC. I'm not talking a remodel/redecorate, I'm talking someone really looking around and cleaning it up. There's extensive chipped paint. There's dirt in the corners. . . it just looks grungy. Again, not what I'd expect from a full service Marriot at all.

We did have drinks/apps in the irish pub and were happy with our food quality and the service. We also had breakfast there as well and it was very nice on both accounts mentioned above.

I'm a Marriott fan and really really want to like this property, but unless they clean it up, I'm not sure that I'd return:(

Room Tip: They are remodeling soon so I would specify a remodeled room when reserving.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carribeancruising
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with this very valuable feedback.

I would like to thank your your wonderful comments in regards to the staff overall service of both the outlets and front office. We pride ourselves on providing an outstanding service and appreciate the positive comments regarding this.

As you too are anxious for the upcoming renovations, we cannot be more excited to share with you newly remodeled rooms, public space, restaurant, business center, concierge lounge, and even, Starbucks! The end of summer will complete the transformation process and we hope that your loyalty and trust in Marriott will be regained with us. If I can be of further assistance to you on any future plans, please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Elisabeth D.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I found the Guestrooms to be clean and Comfortable, The staff very friendly only a stones throw from the Airport, I agree the Rooms are a little dated , But I did see a few Boards placed by the elevators that are showing a good amount of Changes on the Way , And was informed the Hotel is almost ready to get a Renovation.

Room Tip: Breakfast Buffet was $13.00 Great deal
1 Thank JMB-1952
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I hope you will be back following our much anticipated renovation due to begin next week! If there is anything I can do for you on your next travel plans, please feel free to reach out to me.

Elisabeth
Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Old carpets....decent room...good location...expensive restaurant....rack rate is way too expensive for this marriot....agree that this is not the type of standard marriot we might be accustomed to....that being said, for the priceline rate I paid for the hotel, I really don't have much to complain about it....the hotel served its purpose well...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ReggieDunlop27
Scc_27,

We are excited to share that a renovation is in the plans beginning as soon as next week. We hope that you return to us following a much needed transformation which our Marriott property will be undertaking!

~Elisabeth
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Coming directly from the airport to the *airport* Marriott navigation took us to a ditch behind the airport parking lot. After making our way back to the airport we called the Marriott for directions. The person on the phone seemed clueless, even though the hotel was barely a mile from the airport. After finally finding this place at the end of a long road we finally found it. What we thought was a full service Marriott looked more like a glorified Days Inn. No valet service, poor parking lot lighting (at night) and little signage as to where to direct you to the entrance. After trekking our way to the lobby at check-in we asked for a bottle of water- something that is usually customary to all Gold and Platinum members. We were told. "You can grab one from the gift shop on the side or on the floor floor of the executive lounge". ( ???). We had reserved a room with a king bed but discovered all the rooms with king beds were on the first floor only, odd because we never saw this at any other full service Marriott's. The room - though at the back of the hotel by the back door was adequate. We were told the executive lounge was open till 10PM and being hat it was only 8:45 we figured there would be plenty of time for a drink and some snacks. The executive lounge was open however when we arrived we were greeted with a half empty plate of 'stale' cookies and one pathetic tiny sliver if dry lemon cake. Though the attendant was nice and encouraged us to help ourselves, after one bite I threw the cookie out. We asked about wine and we were offered (3) choices and settled on a glass of Cabernet with a flavor reminiscent of the stuff sold by the jug at a local Costco. After sipping the lovely wine at 9:20 the attendant begin putting the alcohol away but she did leave the plate of stale cookies and sliver of stale cake on a table while she cleaned up.
I'm sure this review sounds unfair and my comments unreasonably harsh, but after staying hundreds of hotels in my days and many of them Marriott properties, when in this area again I'll either stay at the Sheraton, Four Points, Hampton or even the Days ain't, at least I'll know what to expect at those places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar.
Green Features: I'm assuming they do because they have the placards in the rooms stating that they do.
1 Thank MarkInVero
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Mr. MarkInVero,

I want to extend my sincerest apologies for the less than desireable experience you had with us during your recent stay. I want to assure you that our Marriott property standards are much higher than what appears to be reflected through your review. We take great pride in both our service and product, and we are excited to share with you our long-awaited renovation project which will take place beginning next week. We will finish the summer with newly renovated guest bedrooms, public space, concierge lounge, and business center. In addition we will have Starbuck on property! Please allow us to regain your trust in Marriott, and our property and revisit us following this phenomenal transformation.

Hosting Brilliantly,

Elisabeth D.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The shuttle pickup came within 15-20 min. and the hotel is only about 5 min. away. Betsy, who checked us in was very nice and prompt. We used points which was nice, but I was very disappointed in the room. We were on the concierge level but the room was quite outdated, smelled like it wasn't fresh, sheets were dingy and not crisp as all. The bathroom had some mildew in the shower, and the room outlets were not very accessible. The worst part was the very old air/heat system that was loud and a big eyesore. This reminded me of much less quality hotels, and definitely not of Marriott quality! We did change to another room, since the sheets didn't seem very clean. We were quickly accommodated which was appreciated. The next room was a little better but still had the same issues. The sheets were not quite as dingy so we kept this room. If it was more than one night that we were staying, I would have moved to another Marriott property immediately. The best part of the stay was the service we received in the concierge lounge from Selina. She was very pleasant and helpful and the tacos, fruit and veggies were good. She represents the concierge lounge quite well! Overall, we would not return to this property until it is renovated but we continue to enjoy all things Marriott! This is probably the first time I have ever rated a Marriott property with a "3" so I hope serious consideration is given to upgrading this property and giving loyal Marriott guests the stay they deserve every time they stay in any Marriott property!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FayeCincinnati
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Ms. Cincinnati,

I want to thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to our property. We take great pride in the level of service we provide here at the Marriott Detroit Metro Airport. I understand your frustrations in staying in a property which may be older, and in need of renovations.

I am excited to announce to you that renovations are just a short few weeks away. We are all incredibly excited for this, and I hope that on your next travel with us, you will be able to share in this same excitement and see what phenomenal product + phenomenal service equates to. If there is anything more I can do for you, please feel free to reach out to me. Thanks for choosing Marriott and we hope to see you again in a few months!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here for a night for business and it's an average hotel. This reminds more of a Courtyard than a mainline Marriott, the rooms are small and sparse, the air conditioners are the through-the-wall type. The rate I found high for what is an average to lower-end Marriott property. I found the staff to be very nice, very helpful and the amenities outside of the room (restaurant, bar, lobby) to be nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bradley A
Elisabeth D, Front Office Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your valued feedback Bradley,

I do apologize that your experience fell short of an outstanding stay with us. I'd like to share with you the building excitement we are gaining at the property's for the long-awaited stages of renovations which are to proceed in just a short several weeks. Following this summer, we will be presenting a fully remodeled public space, restaurant, guest rooms, concierge lounge, business center, and gift shop.

No one is more excited than we are, and I would like to encourage a return trip following this. I want to thank you for your warm comments on our service as I am proud to stand behind the high level of service we get praised so often time and time again. If your travel leads you back here, please feel free to reach out to me!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romulus
Comfort Inn Metro Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Metro Airport
Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport

Been to Detroit Metro Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!