“HAILSTORM IN DETROIT”

Howard Johnson Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Due to hailstorm last Sunday, flights canceled/delayed. Airline gave pink voucher for $50 discounted stay at either HoJo or Knights Inn. Chose HoJo. Long time for shuttle to pick us up as there were so many stranded passengers. Did not expect much, but lobby was actually nice, surprisingly so. Breakfast not the greatest, but was included, and the gentlemen servicing the breakfast were constantly refilling. The room itself was okay, literally. It was somewhere to sleep. Definitely in need of some TLC. Room service to me though should not knock on door until AFTER c/o time. Was checked out by an amazing young man, Revan. Though 14 or so, he was very impressive. I have spoken about his professionalism several times to others. It is his professionalism that prompted me to write this review, even though 2 weeks later.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Romulus Detroit Metro Airport

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have stayed here many times in the past but this will be my last visit. They advertise and I confirmed with the front desk that they use Airlines Parking (as they have with the past) for their park and fly packages. I also emailed Wyndham and they confirmed (via email) that indeed AIrlines Parking was used for the parking portion of park and fly. I have emailed Wyndham for compensation as there was certainly no chance of it at the property. I will update once I receive a response from Wyndham.

When I arrived at the hotel they told me that they no longer use Airlines Parking and had me stay in the hotel parking lot for the park portion of the package and use their shuttle. The problem with this is that the parking lot is not secured and the shuttle is far less efficient then the on call Airlines Parking. I told the front desk clerk about confirmation phone call and email from Wyndham but she would not honour what was reserved. As for the shuttle - it meant we had to leave the hotel at 4:00 for our 6:20 flight as it only runs every 1/2 hour instead of our original planned time and we had to wait over 30 minutes with three phone calls to the hotel before we were picked up at the airport. On the second phone call to the hotel for the shuttle after waiting over 20 minutes she informed me that it had not been dispatched after our first phone call. On the second phone call I requested confirmation from the driver that he was on the way and she rudely told me that he will be there in '1 second' despite the fact he was over 10 minutes away from the pick up. In this 30 minute time a minimum of 10 Airlines Parking vans came and went at my pickup location - which is what I booked.

If I knew what I was getting I would not be writing the negative review - hence the name of my review "Switch and Bait on Airlines Parking"

Room Tip: Stay at the Comfort Inn or Clarion Inn that still use Airlines Parking for their Park and Fly. Airli...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Very good in greeting gust and quick in "check-In" so clean and comfortable king size bed. I have got a room that has a new TV also it is so quiet room due to the concrete wall. Great breakfast with different varieties, fantastic location which close to the airport

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I picked this hotel because it was between Detroit and Ann Arbor and we used it as our home base so we could do day trips to each city. I got a REALLY good rate so it was a no brainer. Friday we were able to check in early, 2 instead of 3, which was great. Revan, the 13 year old behind the desk who checked us in was AMAZING! What a friendly and knowledgeable young man he was! Our room was dated but VERY clean. The shower head was amazing and the bed was really comfortable. The grounds at the hotel are kept very clean. Breakfast was good. Bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, make your own waffles, juice, coffee, milk. Not a lot of tables so one day we had to wait but we weren't in a hurry. We didn't use the pool but it was really clean as well. Parking was a challenge the second day as they are really busy with people park and flying so limited parking but we still managed to find a spot. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and was told this was the top floor but there must've still been r...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple