“Great value, the breakfast did not go well but I hope it was a one off”

Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Pleasanton, California
“Great value, the breakfast did not go well but I hope it was a one off”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Yes, this hotel is a bit dated, but doesn't feel neglected by any means. The room was fine, clean and quite, everything was working, including fairly quite heater. The staff was friendly, the lobby and breakfast area were cozy and comfortable. Fresh smell, a lot of natural light in common areas, I liked fast Internet as well. It's also perfectly located - just far enough from the highway to be quite.

I didn't give 5 stars due to a couple issues:

1. I found this hotel on Priceline but the lady at the lobby couldn't give me that price, so I had to spend a few minutes to pay for the room online. It's not a big deal, but since I presented the online price, would be nice if they could just match the price at the lobby - a lot of hotels do that and it saves time. However, she was very polite, let me check out the room and patiently waited for my payment.
2. The breakfast time ends at 10 am and when we came down around 9:30 am, they were out of coffee and donuts and their advertise "make your own waffle" thing didn't go well because the waffle batter was clogged and going "really really slow". There was some other food still left and we didn't go out hungry, but that was just not professional.

So yes, a bit not perfect, but we had great rest and liked the place.

Overall, this hotel is a great value, I would stay there again, no problem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank heckfy
Cynthia H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Clarion Hotel. We would like to apologize that, at check in we did not match the price, but had to go through booking it online again. We are glad to hear that the front desk staff were patient and that overall the staff were friendly! I do however would like to apologize on behalf of the entire team here at the Clarion that at 9:30 there was no coffee nor donuts, we do not give that kind of service to our guests and again I would like to apologize for that. We hope to see you in the near future to ensure that you will receive the friendly service once again as well as having breakfast here with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
starchild101
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have to say I was surprised with this place after all the mixed reviews. The hotel is a little dated but overall this place isn't too bad, especially for the price.

We stayed one night prior to a trip out of Detroit. My one and only big complaint was check in. The counter was backed up, and this short, blond haired lady, who I think was the manager came to help out and she turned out to be far from friendly. She seemed irritated she had to help out, and just my luck she checked me in. She just handed me my room key and said there you go. I'm like "where's my room, how do I get there, what time is breakfast, ect, ect." The other lady at the counter appeared to be much more friendly with her guests.

Room was comfortable, very quiet, bed was above average, had a large flat screen tv. Bathroom was kind of weird, sink area and toilet sat lower than normal, and the shower curtain needed adjusting, it wouldn't close all the way, and thus water gets all over the floor.

Hotel also had a nice little bar, the bartender was super nice, and service here was great. So my service overall rating for the hotel is 3 stars: 5 stars for the bartender and 1 star for the lady who us in.

I would stay here again preflight. Like I said, it's cheap and it wasn't that bad at all, just a little dated.

1 Thank starchild101
Cynthia H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey and providing us with your feedback on your stay here at the Clarion Hotel. We just want to sincerely apologize for the service that your received at check-in. We have taken the necessary measures to ensure that the kind of service you received at check-in will not happen again! Our front desk staff will continue to give great customer service.

We hope to see you in the near future to provide you with customer service that you deserve.
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We tried to reserve a room for the park, sleep, fly option. The Choice Hotel's reservation website booked us for check-in on the current day in September, not the day that we were looking to stay in November. This was clearly evident by our specified request to park from November 1-8. After being billed a month too early, we noticed the mistake and called to fix the problem. Not only did the manager not allow us to switch our room date for the stay, but he would not allow us to park on the specified dates, either- which we had already paid for! He then suggested that we re-book the room with his hotel at a discounted rate- trying to pass it off as a great deal.

Unlike other reviews, I have no complaints about the cleanliness or sanitation of the rooms, but the customer service and courtesy is severely lacking. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MrBirky
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I would like to apologize for the customer service you recieved here at the Clarion Hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
Merida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We like the clarion because it is easy to get transportation to and from the airport. This time it was even easier than ever. We always travel from Windsor Holiday inn Express by robert q airbus. They have an arrangement with the hotel that we can Leave our car in Windsor for an extended vacation free of charge. This time the ROBERT Q driver kindly dropped us off at the clarion so there was no need to wait at the airport for pickup.

Room was comfortable as usual. Only one problem. We had reserved our room on booking.com and somehow our request for a ground floor room got lost so we had to carry our heavy bags up the stairs.

We have been told an elevator is in the works which will be great when it happens.

Otherwise we were pleased with everything else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cynthia H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey! We are please to know that your stay here was comfortable! All the departements join me in apologizing that your request for a ground floor room was not relayed! Yes an elevator is in the works and we hope to see you in the near future.
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed overnight to catch an early flight. Staff was friendly. Wi-Fi was good. Bed was comfy. Room was quiet. Decent free breakfast bar and for $6 extra a self serve hot foods. Nice touch to have the options. Shuttle to airport terminal. No elevator for 2nd floor.
Not a fancy place and a little worn but gives a good sleep for a good price.

1 Thank Bill H
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete our survey. We are pleased in knowing that your stay here at the Clarion Hotel was quiet, comfortable and that the hot breakfast exceeded your expectations.
We are currently in the process of putting together plans to install an elevator. We hope to be at your service in the near future!
San Diego
Reviewed 23 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This hotel is easy to get to. There is a gas station next door making filling the gas tank of a rental car before return simple. Shuttle to the airport is provided. Food in the restaurant is better than you might expect.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane H
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to complete our survey. We are delighted to know that your stay here at the Clarion was comfortable! We are please to know that the gas station on the same lot as the hotel was convenient for you!!

We look forward to being at your service in the near future!
New Castle, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were headed to Michigan to watch a football game at the big house (on 10-19-13) and needed a room for one night so I booked this through Expedia for 65$. I was kinda leary at first cause it was so cheap and I didn't know the area at all but it turned out to be a great stay. Erica at check-in was so friendly and helpful. She has GREAT customer service skills and putting her at the front desk is an asset! We had an appetizer platter and drinks at the lounge with Janie (jeanie) (so sorry, i hope i have that right) who also did a great job! We wanted to go out for a bit so we asked the girls at the front desk where they would recommend and Jodi (thank you so much for all your help) suggested the Wheat and Rye which was a great choice. She arranged their driver to take us and when I asked him about a cab service he would recommend so we could get back, he said "just call the hotel and I'll pick you up". WOW.. That was great! Our whole experience was awesome and we will definitly stay again on our next trip. I did see some bad reviews today about employees taking money and it's weird cause I was leary of that myself but it was all good. Sad that a dishonest employee can ruin it for them cause they do go above to be helpful and attentive. Thanks clarion, we will be seeing you again..

Room Tip: We had a king non-smoking. It was very clean and roomy. The only con is they don't have an ele...