Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
US$132
Great 4.5/5
US$120
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsroom was cleanpark and flyfront desk stafffree continental breakfastthe young ladycatch an early flightnight stayfree shuttlegas stationhotel restaurantfitness centershuttle driverdetroit metroyogurtbrandychloebrady
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Was put up at this hotel June 24, 2014 by Delta due to a mechanical issue that affected my travel plans. It was late, I was more worried about changing business meetings the next day and wanted to get a good night's rest. Room 205 seemed adequate for my purposes and after the day I had, I wasn't going to complain since it was covered by Delta.

Woke up the next morning and found a spider crawling towards me in my bed (picture attached). This spider made me look more closely at my bedding and in horror I found bed bugs on the ruffle in the double bed closest to the window (pictures attached - sorry for the poor quality I wasn't exactly in a good state of mind). I immediately called housekeeping and gave her the 4 live bugs in the bottom of the styrofoam cup and was hoping it wasn't what I feared it was. After she found a small blood spot on my bed she told me to bag all my belongings or throw them away. I was just beginning a multi-day business trip over 1,000 miles from my home and had no way of replacing my clothes and she said they were unable to clean my clothes for me. I did speak to manager Cynthia Hannosh and she said they'd have to get a bug exterminator to come and confirm if it was bed bugs and would send me a report. She said for my troubles, she'd send me a $30 Outback Gift Card (which was a small pittance for the anxiety and stress I went through after my stay there and to which she never actually did send me). I also got a report that said they sprayed the area for spiders but the terminator report didn't mention treating for bed bugs. I called Cynthia back a number of times and the last time asked her to confirm if it was bed bugs or not. However, I never did hear back from her and after all the hours of research I've done since my stay there, I have a fairly good knowledge of these critters.

Ultimately bed bugs are becoming more widespread and hotels near busy airports that have an above-average level of travelers staying for short-term periods are going to be at a higher risk of getting bed bugs. The people were fairly nice and I can't fully blame them for the issue. However, I do think travelers should be aware that room 205 in late June had pest issues and I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank FloridaNeil
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel, because we were leaving out of Detroit Metro airport. It is very close to the airport, and the parking is right across the street. But, it is old, dingy, very dark, and out dated. The tub faucet leaked/dripped, and the heater rattled all night. It does have a microwave and fridge. The tv was a nice size also. The bed was old and not comfortable at all. The breakfast was a continental one. The hotel needs a major renovation. The staff was really nice also.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cynthia H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time. We appreciate your feed back and will be doing updates soon. We hope to see you in the near future. Take care and have a great week.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We did a stay and park deal with the Clarion and stayed there before flying out of DTW. The room was worn, the carpet was damp, and the neighbors were really noisy. I called about switching rooms, but the from desk said nothing was available. The breakfast was very limited. I will not stay in this location again.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,
We are sorry that you experienced an unpleasant stay. I will be taking these issues to the maintenance staff immediately so that we may correct these issues. We hope that you will stay with us again. Thank you and have a great week.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stay here whenever we have to catch an early flight. The parking package pays for itself after 6 days. Good food in the relaxing restaurant, and it's a short drive to Metro. Not fancy, but it's our preference even though we only live 30 miles North.

Room Tip: Pick the park and fly package
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the nice comments. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went. We look forward to you visiting us again. Have a great week.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

For an about $20 we spent the night, didn't have to get up super early, had a decent breakfast, and had our car in a parking facility for the week. Over the cost of parking for 8 days it only cost us $20 for all this. Well worth it. You do have to drive your own car over to Airport Parking and the shuttle meets you right away. It was easy on to the shuttle when we got back to DTW. The hotel needs a little updating, but everything worked, bed was comfortable and we were only there for about 6 hours. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here as well as finding our park n fly package to be a great deal for you. We hope to see you in the near future. Have a wonderful week.