Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I don't understand the bad reviews. We've been to the ranch over a dozen times throughout the years and I have to say it is still a great experience. The family cabin was clean and the hot tub in the master bedroom worked great. The fall activities kept us busy all day and the wicked ranch (especially the bunkhouse) was scary. Every employee we came across was so helpful and kind. They are great with kids and adults. I do miss the all-inclusive packages but the resort offers so many packages to fit every budget. This resort, in my opinion is the best for families in Michigan. I can't wait to go back in the spring!

Room Tip: If your traveling with kids the family cabin is a great choice because it's within walking dista...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mjkandik
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Mjkandik-
We're glad to hear that you once again enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again in the Spring!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was the 2nd visit to jjs for me & the husband. We stayed in the lofts last October for Wicked Ranch and had a blast. This time we took the kids, met up with some out-of-town friends and booked a family cabin for 2 nights. I requested the cabin since my only complaint during our previous visit was the loft's paper-thin walls. The cabin was cute, cozy and relatively clean. I do have some suggestions however:
-clean under the sides of the bed. I dropped my daughter's pacifier down there. Yuck.
-put outlets in convenient places. We had to move the coffee pot and the couch to get things working. The alarm clock wasn't working either. I couldn't tell if it was plugged in our not, and I wasn't about to reach anywhere near the back of the bed.
-get new ac/heat/fan units. Ours was banging out an annoying drum solo all night.
-if your staff checks-in guests and forgets to give them their cabin key, get one of said staff to bring the key to them. I felt bad that the first jjs experience our friends had was having to drive back to the frontier from the back forty AGAIN (not a quick trip).

Despite these issues, I would stay in the cabins again. The beds were comfy, kitchen supplies were adequate and my 4-year-old loved her loft room. But there was one immense failure: the whirlpool tub. This is usually my favorite part about vacations and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately there was not enough hot water supplied to this cabin to make this a pleasant experience. I suffered through a 5-minute bath before heading to the shower (which was oddly warm). I tried again the following night and ONLY used the hot water tap. To my disappointment, the tub managed to fill up with about 5 inches of warm water before the tap turned ice cold. Boo! I cannot imagine staying in a jj cabin this winter as planned.

Also, although we loved the Sundance Saloon experience during our past October visit (especially the breakfast), this time the hummus tasted like fish. The Spaghetti Western had great pizza though.

I was slightly embarrassed to have requested this vacation for our friends. They drove over 4 hours and although they probably won't complain, I was evidently holding this place to a higher standard.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't get a room in the Lofts.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 6 September 2011

To say we were displeased with our stay at the Double JJ is an understatement. We stayed in the suites and while the rooms were very nice and clean the paper thin walls were highly annoying. Being able to hear an entire conversation in the room above you, not to mention everytime they flushed thier toilet or took a shower became tiresome. While our children did enjoy the waterpark we found it to be dingy and highly in need of an upgrade. Not sure how many times I stepped on simething questionable on the pool bottoms. It is very dark and could use somemore outside windows to let natural light in. The highschool aged staff in the water park were more interested in their own socializing than the safety of their customers. My three year old and I were half way up the stiars to a slide when the life guard was coming down. I asked if he was closing hte slide and was told "yay, but go ahead, just send him down and then wait 10 seconds before you go"
We planned on cooking dinner in our suite but the 2 not even quart sized pots wouldnt accomdate anything. Wish I could have figured out how to cook in the 9 wine glasses they did supply though.
We headed to the main building to eat dinner at the Spaghetti Western. While walking by tables with our customers eating steaks that looked wonderful we were excited about dinner. After waiting with menus and 3 very hungry kids for over 20 minutes with only one other table in the dining room that was already eating. OUr menus were taken away and we were told they were not serving that menu this evening and we were given a menu with 3 items on it. A Cheeseburger, wet burrito and pizza. When we asked if we could still order the kids menu food, the high school staff said well I guess we can make an exception . 40 minutes later we received cold spaghetti and luke warm chicken tenders and kids pizza. The adults were happy with their piza but the kitchen did not time the makeing of the meal well. The large buffet that was being set up in the lobby that one waitress told us was for the wedding receiton going on was acutally a pig roast offered to all quests as we head it being offered to customers that came after we ordered. We knew their was a pig raost at the rodeo but not in the main buidling. Had we been given this option we would have choosen it as the food looked and smelled delicious. We had some issues and called the front desk a couple times. Each time being told they would get back with us and they never did. At check in were we asked to pay an additional $90 as they said we didnt book the correct number of people. NOT THE CASE!!! Upon check out were we not at all asked how our stay was. The staff were so wrapped up in their own conversations that they couldnt be bothered with paying customers. I DO NOT RECOMMEND staying at this over priced resort. Save the money and go toZhenders in Frankemuth or spend a tiny bit extra an dhead to Avalanche Bay, where you definatly get more for your money!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Ourfamilyoffive
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while staying at our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our Resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past two years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Went to Double JJ for the riding and the golf. We stayed in a Thoroughbred suite 306 which was much bigger then we needed. It was very nice. We like having a kitchen when we travel. Enjoyed both our activities while the weather was nice but unfortunately one day was a total rain out. so we couldn't ride or golf. Sure wish they had a fitness center so that we could have gotten a workout in. Some ellipticals or treadmills and free weights would be great! For an expensive resort, you'd think that having this on their property would be a no brainer. Hope next time we look into possibly returning they have upgraded to include fitness room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HorseLvr1
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Visited for a company picnic and enjoyed the back forty with lunch and horseback riding. had booked a room so we could stay longer as a family. When we checked into our room we found that the beds were not made. No problem, called the front desk and they indicated they would take care of it. Went back out to enjoy the day. Come back to the room 2 hours later and no change. Blankets still piled on one bed and on the desk for the other. Call the front desk again, and " oh that didnt get done?" had to wait on hold and then they decided we needed to change to the room next door and someone would bring a key over. No apology, just that they ran out of sheets. For the price of their rooms they are very average, absolutely nothing special.
The water park was fun and the family really enjoyed. Water and air temp was great. Only concern was the number of band aids around the pool area. (Yuck)
Had dinner at the steakhouse on the resort Sundance Steakhouse. We were really impressed with the service, quality and amount of food. Fortunately the fun at the back forty and water park over shadowed the room issues.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Recently stayed at the Double JJ with 10 adults and 3 grandkids. We stayed at the Throughbred Suites, room 313. The accommodations were adequate, but I agree with other reviews about the paper thin walls. We dealt with it, but it did cause some problems. The grounds are unique, and it was a little different than what we are used to, but I have to tell you that as a whole we had a great time. I think the highlight of our stay was the rodeo. Purchased the combo ticket for 20 dollars, which included the pig roast at the Back Forty, (food was really good, and all you can eat), plus the hayride to the rodeo grounds, and then a really entertaining rodeo show, which the audience could participate in. Try going into a muddy arena and trying to tear a ribbon off of a not too cooperative calves tail!! Really was alot of fun!! The Back Forty area itself was okay...basically an area to relax and take it easy. Don't expect too much, but a good place to entertain yourself and gravitates towards younger families with kids. The outdoor water park looked pretty inviting, but our group didn't make use of it. The petting zoo for the grandkids was a big hit though. It ain't Disneyworld, but what is? Back at the indoor waterpark, we ate at the Spaghetti Western place. Contrary to the reviews, the service for us was great and the food surprisingly good. The pizzas were really good! Silver Lake was about a 20 minute drive away, where we rented dune buggies at Wild Bills. Can't begin to tell you what a blast that was!! Gotta try it. Ask for Kathy at the front desk and be prepared for some abuse. Loved it!! All in all, I'd recommend the Double JJ for families to reconnect, and if you play golf, it looked like a pretty good course to play on.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kkstein
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed at Double JJ for three nights, Thursday-Sunday. We were in "the lofts". These are adequate, but kind of "grungy".....that is the best way to describe it. Poor lighting in the rooms and dark carpeting just made the room seem dark and old. We had two queen beds which was nice...better than two doubles. We had an old fashioned air conditioner that leaked water onto our carpeting and a couple times we stepped in that area....is was saturated! I would not stay in "the lofts" again. TV"s are older, not flat screens. Chair is room was saggy.

The Thoroughbred rooms were much better, newer, brighter, modern. Of couse, they are at least double the cost. Others in our group stayed there and liked them.

I agree the pool area was grimey. Did not get in pool. It was at least 85 degrees too!

It seems parts of the resort are very nice......Thoroughbred rooms and the Golf Course and the restaurant with huge windows that is attached to the Thoroughbred rooms. The golfers in our group loved the course. The other parts of the resort......pool area, tennis courts not maintained, the mechanical bull broke while we were there, etc.......need work. Seems like the whole place is in transition. Some things updated, many other not.

Rodeo was fun! Pig roast was enjoyable. Only port-a-johns for those events....need to upgrade that! The pig roast stated at six and the rodeo was right after that till around nine. We noticed only two port-a-johns........not nearly enough. How bout some modern facilities!!! The rodeo had a lot of audience participation. The young kids really enjoyed it and so did the adults.

The horse back riding was a little unorganized. We kept starting and stopping and the horses got restless. Our leader only works there once a month and she was forgetful about where to turn, etc. Not a great experience. The horses were already restless and the leader was making things much worse with her lack of knowledge!!! Also, they load you on your horse one at a time. There were about 15 people in our group. The first horses to be loaded were getting restless and started getting rowdy. The workers told us to "give the horses some space"......not so easy to do in the small fenced in area they put us in. It wasn't only the riders and horses.....there was a "fenced off area within the fenced off area" that contained other horses. The horses with riders seemed to like to be near the fenced in horses and it was just too many animals/people in a small area.

Think of a spread out resort, some old, some new, most of the interesting amenties cost extra, etc. I would like to see the general areas updated, but somehow the golf course seemed to be the best maintained part of the resort. Of course, some people prefer that, but since the majority of the people want to use other amenities also, those areas need to be improved.....and quickly.

I would not go back.

Room Tip: Stay in Thoroughbred area if you can afford it
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank drpc12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Weathervane Inn
Comfort Inn Whitehall
#1 of 5 in Whitehall
9 mi away
Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!