Double JJ Resort
White Lake Motel(Whitehall)
Rodeway Inn(Whitehall)
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
All reviewshorseback ridinggolf coursefull kitchenice creama lot of funmaster bedroomwhirlpool tubsome tlckids rangingincluded breakfastthoroughbred suitesoff seasonindoor waterparkqueen bedpig roastfamily vacationlabor day weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was my second time at the ranch. Two people from our group were taken to the ER due to exposure to mold found in the cabins. Extremely dangerous, and very poorly handled by the Double JJ staff. I would not recommend staying overnight.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank travel_p_04
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I went to Double JJ ranch with my daughter in July of 2010. We got the trail ride package. On the 3rd day of the trip , I informed the trail guide that my horse was not acting right. She told me that it was just Piper and that he sometimes tripped. I informed her that he was not cantering correctly. She said he was fine. Halfway through the trip we were goning up a hill and he started bucking. He wouldn't stop until I jumped off. When we returned to the barn , I was told he had a huge cinch sore and that was why he wanted me off. I had a contusion of my arm and 2 dislocated ribs. The muscle pulled away from my rib cage. It didn't heal properly, so after over a year of dicomfort I had reconstructive surgery to reattach my muscle and remove the hemmatoma that didn't disolve. It cost me $8000.00 out of pocket. They were very nice and informed me I signed a waiver while they were filing out the incident report. The whole thing could have been avoided if they would have just given me another horse.

Room Tip: Cabins are great
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank caw1226
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I don't understand the bad reviews. We've been to the ranch over a dozen times throughout the years and I have to say it is still a great experience. The family cabin was clean and the hot tub in the master bedroom worked great. The fall activities kept us busy all day and the wicked ranch (especially the bunkhouse) was scary. Every employee we came across was so helpful and kind. They are great with kids and adults. I do miss the all-inclusive packages but the resort offers so many packages to fit every budget. This resort, in my opinion is the best for families in Michigan. I can't wait to go back in the spring!

Room Tip: If your traveling with kids the family cabin is a great choice because it's within walking distance to many of the activities and the horses.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mjkandik
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Mjkandik-
We're glad to hear that you once again enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again in the Spring!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was the 2nd visit to jjs for me & the husband. We stayed in the lofts last October for Wicked Ranch and had a blast. This time we took the kids, met up with some out-of-town friends and booked a family cabin for 2 nights. I requested the cabin since my only complaint during our previous visit was the loft's paper-thin walls. The cabin was cute, cozy and relatively clean. I do have some suggestions however:
-clean under the sides of the bed. I dropped my daughter's pacifier down there. Yuck.
-put outlets in convenient places. We had to move the coffee pot and the couch to get things working. The alarm clock wasn't working either. I couldn't tell if it was plugged in our not, and I wasn't about to reach anywhere near the back of the bed.
-get new ac/heat/fan units. Ours was banging out an annoying drum solo all night.
-if your staff checks-in guests and forgets to give them their cabin key, get one of said staff to bring the key to them. I felt bad that the first jjs experience our friends had was having to drive back to the frontier from the back forty AGAIN (not a quick trip).

Despite these issues, I would stay in the cabins again. The beds were comfy, kitchen supplies were adequate and my 4-year-old loved her loft room. But there was one immense failure: the whirlpool tub. This is usually my favorite part about vacations and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately there was not enough hot water supplied to this cabin to make this a pleasant experience. I suffered through a 5-minute bath before heading to the shower (which was oddly warm). I tried again the following night and ONLY used the hot water tap. To my disappointment, the tub managed to fill up with about 5 inches of warm water before the tap turned ice cold. Boo! I cannot imagine staying in a jj cabin this winter as planned.

Also, although we loved the Sundance Saloon experience during our past October visit (especially the breakfast), this time the hummus tasted like fish. The Spaghetti Western had great pizza though.

I was slightly embarrassed to have requested this vacation for our friends. They drove over 4 hours and although they probably won't complain, I was evidently holding this place to a higher standard.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't get a room in the Lofts.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 6 September 2011

To say we were displeased with our stay at the Double JJ is an understatement. We stayed in the suites and while the rooms were very nice and clean the paper thin walls were highly annoying. Being able to hear an entire conversation in the room above you, not to mention everytime they flushed thier toilet or took a shower became tiresome. While our children did enjoy the waterpark we found it to be dingy and highly in need of an upgrade. Not sure how many times I stepped on simething questionable on the pool bottoms. It is very dark and could use somemore outside windows to let natural light in. The highschool aged staff in the water park were more interested in their own socializing than the safety of their customers. My three year old and I were half way up the stiars to a slide when the life guard was coming down. I asked if he was closing hte slide and was told "yay, but go ahead, just send him down and then wait 10 seconds before you go"
We planned on cooking dinner in our suite but the 2 not even quart sized pots wouldnt accomdate anything. Wish I could have figured out how to cook in the 9 wine glasses they did supply though.
We headed to the main building to eat dinner at the Spaghetti Western. While walking by tables with our customers eating steaks that looked wonderful we were excited about dinner. After waiting with menus and 3 very hungry kids for over 20 minutes with only one other table in the dining room that was already eating. OUr menus were taken away and we were told they were not serving that menu this evening and we were given a menu with 3 items on it. A Cheeseburger, wet burrito and pizza. When we asked if we could still order the kids menu food, the high school staff said well I guess we can make an exception . 40 minutes later we received cold spaghetti and luke warm chicken tenders and kids pizza. The adults were happy with their piza but the kitchen did not time the makeing of the meal well. The large buffet that was being set up in the lobby that one waitress told us was for the wedding receiton going on was acutally a pig roast offered to all quests as we head it being offered to customers that came after we ordered. We knew their was a pig raost at the rodeo but not in the main buidling. Had we been given this option we would have choosen it as the food looked and smelled delicious. We had some issues and called the front desk a couple times. Each time being told they would get back with us and they never did. At check in were we asked to pay an additional $90 as they said we didnt book the correct number of people. NOT THE CASE!!! Upon check out were we not at all asked how our stay was. The staff were so wrapped up in their own conversations that they couldnt be bothered with paying customers. I DO NOT RECOMMEND staying at this over priced resort. Save the money and go toZhenders in Frankemuth or spend a tiny bit extra an dhead to Avalanche Bay, where you definatly get more for your money!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Ourfamilyoffive
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while staying at our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our Resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past two years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.