Double JJ Resort
US$125
Travelocity
Rodeway Inn(Whitehall)
US$56
Comfort Inn Whitehall(Whitehall)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$93
Priceline
US$80
US$75
Dunes Express Inn & Suites(Hart)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$140
Sierra Sands Family Lodge(Mears)(Great Value!)
US$100
Dunes Waterfront Resort(Mears)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$116
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshorseback ridinggolf coursefull kitchenice creama lot of funmaster bedroomwhirlpool tubsome tlckids rangingincluded breakfastthoroughbred suitesoff seasonindoor waterparkqueen bedpig roastfamily vacationlabor day weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 December 2011

It depended who was at the front desk when you checked in as to the service and help. Some of the party was treated very well and some were not. If you happened to have Wendy check you in, you were treated well. I believe all complaints at check in involved male employees. The suites in the hotel were ok and clean for the most part. We felt safe and secure except when the building started shaking which we think was when the washer would spin out. The first time it occurred was disconcerting wondering if it were an earthquake. There is a parking garage below the building which seems great at first but it was VERY tight getting out when others were parked there.
Some had ordered a package when they made their reservations. The package was to include the water park, tubing hill ($18 each), sleigh rides ($15 each) and money for the arcade. Since there was no snow, tubing and sleigh rides were out of the question. They were given their breakfasts free in place of the sleigh rides and tubing. They never did receive arcade money. The breakfast was not close to the $33 paid for snow activities. The indoor water park was advertised on the daily activity sheet to have a pool party from 9 pm to 11 pm. All water rides were shut down at 9 and people who had daily passes to the water park were not allowed to the pool party. It appeared it was just for the lifeguards. There was excessive chlorine in the pools and burned eyes upon entry in the morning and all complained that it bothered their skin.
Suites are quite nice with fairly well stocked kitchens. The table for meals only accommodates a maximum of six.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the floor plans for available rooms before booking. There is an enclosed passway connecting the second floor with a building with a dining room and bar. There might be other things in this building, but during the winter that was all that was open.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Connie T
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was my second time at the ranch. Two people from our group were taken to the ER due to exposure to mold found in the cabins. Extremely dangerous, and very poorly handled by the Double JJ staff. I would not recommend staying overnight.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank travel_p_04
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I went to Double JJ ranch with my daughter in July of 2010. We got the trail ride package. On the 3rd day of the trip , I informed the trail guide that my horse was not acting right. She told me that it was just Piper and that he sometimes tripped. I informed her that he was not cantering correctly. She said he was fine. Halfway through the trip we were goning up a hill and he started bucking. He wouldn't stop until I jumped off. When we returned to the barn , I was told he had a huge cinch sore and that was why he wanted me off. I had a contusion of my arm and 2 dislocated ribs. The muscle pulled away from my rib cage. It didn't heal properly, so after over a year of dicomfort I had reconstructive surgery to reattach my muscle and remove the hemmatoma that didn't disolve. It cost me $8000.00 out of pocket. They were very nice and informed me I signed a waiver while they were filing out the incident report. The whole thing could have been avoided if they would have just given me another horse.

Room Tip: Cabins are great
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank caw1226
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I don't understand the bad reviews. We've been to the ranch over a dozen times throughout the years and I have to say it is still a great experience. The family cabin was clean and the hot tub in the master bedroom worked great. The fall activities kept us busy all day and the wicked ranch (especially the bunkhouse) was scary. Every employee we came across was so helpful and kind. They are great with kids and adults. I do miss the all-inclusive packages but the resort offers so many packages to fit every budget. This resort, in my opinion is the best for families in Michigan. I can't wait to go back in the spring!

Room Tip: If your traveling with kids the family cabin is a great choice because it's within walking distance to many of the activities and the horses.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mjkandik
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Mjkandik-
We're glad to hear that you once again enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again in the Spring!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was the 2nd visit to jjs for me & the husband. We stayed in the lofts last October for Wicked Ranch and had a blast. This time we took the kids, met up with some out-of-town friends and booked a family cabin for 2 nights. I requested the cabin since my only complaint during our previous visit was the loft's paper-thin walls. The cabin was cute, cozy and relatively clean. I do have some suggestions however:
-clean under the sides of the bed. I dropped my daughter's pacifier down there. Yuck.
-put outlets in convenient places. We had to move the coffee pot and the couch to get things working. The alarm clock wasn't working either. I couldn't tell if it was plugged in our not, and I wasn't about to reach anywhere near the back of the bed.
-get new ac/heat/fan units. Ours was banging out an annoying drum solo all night.
-if your staff checks-in guests and forgets to give them their cabin key, get one of said staff to bring the key to them. I felt bad that the first jjs experience our friends had was having to drive back to the frontier from the back forty AGAIN (not a quick trip).

Despite these issues, I would stay in the cabins again. The beds were comfy, kitchen supplies were adequate and my 4-year-old loved her loft room. But there was one immense failure: the whirlpool tub. This is usually my favorite part about vacations and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately there was not enough hot water supplied to this cabin to make this a pleasant experience. I suffered through a 5-minute bath before heading to the shower (which was oddly warm). I tried again the following night and ONLY used the hot water tap. To my disappointment, the tub managed to fill up with about 5 inches of warm water before the tap turned ice cold. Boo! I cannot imagine staying in a jj cabin this winter as planned.

Also, although we loved the Sundance Saloon experience during our past October visit (especially the breakfast), this time the hummus tasted like fish. The Spaghetti Western had great pizza though.

I was slightly embarrassed to have requested this vacation for our friends. They drove over 4 hours and although they probably won't complain, I was evidently holding this place to a higher standard.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't get a room in the Lofts.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family