“Waterpark OK, Accomodations Gross”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I had been told to not go here because of the bad accommodations but I had found a coupon and decided to try it out ourselves. We were supposed to go with many other family members and I am so glad that no one else came with us or I would have been embarrassed to have made the suggestion. The place is just plain rundown...chipped paint everywhere, including paint from the floor of the waterpark sticking to my feet everywhere...gross! Motel walls so thin that my kids were exposed to numerous swearing rants from the people next door to us, received numerous bug bites on my back both nights while we were sleeping, The eggs at breakfast had so many shells in them that I actually had to leave the table to go upchuck them in the bathroom. My kids had fun as we hid all of the bad problems from them so they could have a good time, but I will definitely never go again, nor will I second guess anyone who tries to steer me away from a place again. I am soooo disappointed since this was our only chance at a family "vacation" this year.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank KristinW456
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our Resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past three years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Nothing like depicted on web. We were refused for shuttle service every time we called. Our kids awakened at6am every morning by kids running halls screaming. Rooms nothing like depicted on web. Water park bath/changing rooms absolutely disgusting. Advertised as resort more like tenant farm.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Nursemommy327

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We spent the weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel room was clean and huge! The waterpark was well run and fun. The sleigh ride was excellent. We found the staff to be helpful and professional,We will be going again. We enjoyed the breakfast buffett.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HyattsvilleFolks
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Howdy HyattsvilleFolks!
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again!

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We took our 14 year old son ,and his friend, for a weekend package deal we had seen in the paper . It was very busy when we arrived at the desk, and I overheard two other guests complaining of problems with their rooms . This raised some concerns . We were checked in with no problems , and went to our room . I could hear the heater fan for our room from some distance away as I unloaded our luggage . It was unbelievibly loud in the room . We notified the desk, and a maintainence man was at the door in a very few minutes. He aggreed that there was a problem ,and stepped outside to make a call . He stepped back in ,and said ," I tried to get you an upgrade , but we're full " . He told us he would get right to work on the heater , and we went to dinner. We returned to the room ,about 90 minutes later , to find a totally disassembled heater unit , no maintainence man , or note . We waited for a bit to see if he would return to finish . My wife stepped into the bathroom , and immediately came back out . She asked if anyone had used the bathroom ? I had stepped in when we arrived ,but that was it . Neither of the boys had been in there . She then asked me to look at the wall above the toilet paper roll . The brown streaks were quite obvious . We packed ,and went to the desk . They desk staff were expecting us . We were told that they had " Good news and Bad news " The bad being that the heater was unfixable . The good news being that they were going to upgrade us to a suite ? Wait , I thought they were " Full " ? Sorry , too little too late . We told the young lady at the desk that because of what we had found in the bathroom that we were not interested in staying there at all , and we asked for our money back .Had they been able to "upgrade" us in the begining ,we might have stayed . We drove the 100 miles back home , a total waste of our time , and gas .

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tim517

Reviewed 28 December 2011

It depended who was at the front desk when you checked in as to the service and help. Some of the party was treated very well and some were not. If you happened to have Wendy check you in, you were treated well. I believe all complaints at check in involved male employees. The suites in the hotel were ok and clean for the most part. We felt safe and secure except when the building started shaking which we think was when the washer would spin out. The first time it occurred was disconcerting wondering if it were an earthquake. There is a parking garage below the building which seems great at first but it was VERY tight getting out when others were parked there.
Some had ordered a package when they made their reservations. The package was to include the water park, tubing hill ($18 each), sleigh rides ($15 each) and money for the arcade. Since there was no snow, tubing and sleigh rides were out of the question. They were given their breakfasts free in place of the sleigh rides and tubing. They never did receive arcade money. The breakfast was not close to the $33 paid for snow activities. The indoor water park was advertised on the daily activity sheet to have a pool party from 9 pm to 11 pm. All water rides were shut down at 9 and people who had daily passes to the water park were not allowed to the pool party. It appeared it was just for the lifeguards. There was excessive chlorine in the pools and burned eyes upon entry in the morning and all complained that it bothered their skin.
Suites are quite nice with fairly well stocked kitchens. The table for meals only accommodates a maximum of six.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the floor plans for available rooms before booking. There is an enclosed passwa...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Connie T
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was my second time at the ranch. Two people from our group were taken to the ER due to exposure to mold found in the cabins. Extremely dangerous, and very poorly handled by the Double JJ staff. I would not recommend staying overnight.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank travel_p_04
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I went to Double JJ ranch with my daughter in July of 2010. We got the trail ride package. On the 3rd day of the trip , I informed the trail guide that my horse was not acting right. She told me that it was just Piper and that he sometimes tripped. I informed her that he was not cantering correctly. She said he was fine. Halfway through the trip we were goning up a hill and he started bucking. He wouldn't stop until I jumped off. When we returned to the barn , I was told he had a huge cinch sore and that was why he wanted me off. I had a contusion of my arm and 2 dislocated ribs. The muscle pulled away from my rib cage. It didn't heal properly, so after over a year of dicomfort I had reconstructive surgery to reattach my muscle and remove the hemmatoma that didn't disolve. It cost me $8000.00 out of pocket. They were very nice and informed me I signed a waiver while they were filing out the incident report. The whole thing could have been avoided if they would have just given me another horse.

Room Tip: Cabins are great
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank caw1226
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Dunes Waterfront Resort
#4 of 12 in Muskegon
Weathervane Inn
Weathervane Inn
#1 of 2 in Montague

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!