Our son and daughter-in-law got married here last weekend. We arrived on Friday. We had a hard time finding the place because the address is in Rothbury but for a GPS you have to put in New Era. They might want to mention that on the webpage or when people make their reservations. When we did arrive we felt like we were checking into an amusement park. The check in area is not welcoming at all. The check in process was another disappointment. I felt like I had to sign my life away and each adult in our three bedroom suite had to go to the lobby when they arrived to sign waivers just to stay in the room.
The place looked a bit run down but the suite we had in the Thoroughbred building was really nice with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplaces (not for heat) and 3 TV's. I had also rented a 4 bedroom suite for the groomsmen which looked nice too. The location was perfect because the building connected to the Sundance Restaurant, banquet rooms and Maverick lawn where all of the wedding weekend festivities were.
Many of our guest stayed in the Loft rooms in another building. We would visit them at night and had to walk along the road in the dark to get to their rooms. Unless I missed another walkway, I thought it was very dangerous and inconvenient for those guests to get to any of the main buildings/activities at the resort.
We had both the rehearsal dinner and the reception catered by the Double JJ. Again, I had mixed reactions. Most importantly, the food was excellent. Banquet food is notoriously bland, but all of the food - pork loin with cherry chutney, salmon with maple glaze and chicken alfredo was good. People raved about the salmon. We also had green beans and red skinned potatoes that were good. Dinner at the reception was chicken cordon bleu and english cut prime rib. They did have trouble keeping the food hot however. That is always a challenge when serving a large group of people. The service people I worked with were very friendly, accommodating and helpful. Kudos to Patrick, Leann, and Leah and the others that helped both days. Unfortunately, I did have a problem with service both days. We had paid for water/tea/coffee etc. with the meals but nothing was every offered besides the water on the table. When I mentioned this to the staff, they brought a pitcher to our table, but just set it down. They didn't offer to serve refills or take pitchers to other tables. Neither day was I asked if I wanted anything other than water and most people didn't know it was offered. I even had to ask for coffee with dessert but they hadn't made it yet, so many people were done before the coffee was ready.
Another problem with the resort is the way they nickel and dime you. Everything was extra! Very frustrating when you are planning a wedding. If you changed to round tables ($500 charge), colored linens (base price for rental, but another $20 service charge), etc. Fortunately, they were great about allowing us to store things in an empty banquet room and the staff came down several times and asked if there was anything they could help with.
The wedding ceremony location was beautiful and the Sundance Restaurant was a very pretty setting for the reception, too. So there were a lot of positives and a lot of negatives to our weekend at the Double JJ.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Double JJ Resort is one of Michigan's best kept secrets! Come explore miles of scenic trails on horseback, perfect for riders of any skill level and age. Experience the thrill of our Gold Rush Indoor Waterpark, housing Michigan's tallest indoor waterslide, a wave pool, and plenty of play areas. Camping is no longer a thing of the past here at the Double JJ! You can gather around a campfire with your family and friends and tell stories of the past or tales to please everyone. Don't forget to bring your golf clubs and play on our world championship Thoroughbred Golf Club course, where the lush greens meet the fresh water. Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest, the Thoroughbred's stunning, wooded layout offers enough challenge to keep you coming back time & time again. The Double JJ has the perfect mix of activities to entertain anyone who visits. Escape from your everyday life into the laid-back lifestyle of the Double JJ Resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Double JJ Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Double Jj Ranch And Golf Resort
- Double Jj Ranch & Golf Hotel Rothbury
- Double Jj Hotel
- Double Jj Rothbury
- Double JJ Resort Rothbury, Michigan