“Pick the cabins in the back 40!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Double JJ Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rothbury
Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Green Oak, Michigan, United States
“Pick the cabins in the back 40!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed is a family cabin in the back 40. It had the atmosphere of a campground, but with a nice roof over our heads and comfortable bed.

If you have a group and rent a few cabins, request they all be in the same block. I loved how they were set up in 5-6 cabin clusters with a common fire pit to share and large central yard. You can all be together, yet still have privacy in your cabin. Bring a grate if you plan to cook over the fire pit or go to the barbeque area as individual grills are not provided for each cabin.

We had a great time and look forward to returning with a larger group.

Room Tip: The hotel and condos are near the waterpark. The cabins and campground is a couple mile drive away...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Barbara C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We decided to take a family camping trip to Double JJ for 5 days at the end of July. Upon first look, you can tell this place was very worn down and needs a "make over" in a major way. I would like to say that "Rick" ( i think that was his name) the campground host was great, he made all the wrong right, and was so friendly and helpfull. I found the prices to be high and some major renovations needed, however everyone that is employeed here made the trip great!!!
* place is hard to find, and not well marked, don't count on a gps!!!!
** must do the cattle drive, its worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Okemos, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Well...I was skeptical to try this out cos of the other reviews I read so I went without any expectations.first thing I realized was we had made the right decision in choosing a log cabin over the loft hotel .the loft hotels even from a distance looked scary and rundown and away from the attractions.however the log cabin was awesome and well worth the extra 20 bucks we paid for it over the loft hotel.it was very clean and had all basic amenities.yes like another reviewer stated the kids cabins blankets were not washed.i guess I shouldn't have read that review maybe if I hadn't I wouldn't have checked the blankets !but the rest of the cabin was clean .we went to Hee haw for fall activities.had a fun time there shooting marshmallows and watching pig races.my little son enjoyed it.then we got onto the wagon ride .that was boring to tell u the truth .actually the wagon ride in Lewis farm market seemed much better than this one.this one stopped for donuts and scalding hot cider .then after the trip was done we went to the waterpark.it was clean enough though the hot tubs were closed and dirty.we had a fun time In the waterpark.then we bought pizza and went back to our pretty log cabin to retire for the night.next day morning we had a good buffet at sundance steak house .it was a good buffet with lots if items properly cooked.we couldn't go to wicked ranch because it rained at the time we planned to go.altogether an amazing trip and awesome stay.we made a lot of memories at double jj .by the way jj stands for jack and Jill just a piece of info for all u r going there..have a wonderful time it's worth it.

• Stayed October 2013
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed in the 4-bedroom Thoroughbred suite and it was perfect for our 5 adults, 4-year old and nine-month old. There are two big bedrooms downstairs, each with their own bathroom, and two smaller bedrooms upstairs with bunk beds and a jack&jill bath. The living-dining room area had plenty of seating and room for the kids to spread out with their toys. We went to the Back Forty and spent the day enjoying the pig races, pony rides, stunt show, corn maze and all the other fun activities. The 4-year old had a great time but I could see that teenagers might find the activies kind of lame. We also spent time at the indoor waterpark and it has something for everybody: tame activities for the little kids and more exciting stuff for everybody else. The four-year old went on all the tube rides with his dad and loved them. To the previous reviewer who had trouble with directions to the resort, the GPS directions are posted on the website if you just look for them.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Thoroughbred suites building are connected by an elevated enclosed walkway to the m...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 0144
cincinnati, ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Our son and daughter-in-law got married here last weekend. We arrived on Friday. We had a hard time finding the place because the address is in Rothbury but for a GPS you have to put in New Era. They might want to mention that on the webpage or when people make their reservations. When we did arrive we felt like we were checking into an amusement park. The check in area is not welcoming at all. The check in process was another disappointment. I felt like I had to sign my life away and each adult in our three bedroom suite had to go to the lobby when they arrived to sign waivers just to stay in the room.

The place looked a bit run down but the suite we had in the Thoroughbred building was really nice with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplaces (not for heat) and 3 TV's. I had also rented a 4 bedroom suite for the groomsmen which looked nice too. The location was perfect because the building connected to the Sundance Restaurant, banquet rooms and Maverick lawn where all of the wedding weekend festivities were.

Many of our guest stayed in the Loft rooms in another building. We would visit them at night and had to walk along the road in the dark to get to their rooms. Unless I missed another walkway, I thought it was very dangerous and inconvenient for those guests to get to any of the main buildings/activities at the resort.

We had both the rehearsal dinner and the reception catered by the Double JJ. Again, I had mixed reactions. Most importantly, the food was excellent. Banquet food is notoriously bland, but all of the food - pork loin with cherry chutney, salmon with maple glaze and chicken alfredo was good. People raved about the salmon. We also had green beans and red skinned potatoes that were good. Dinner at the reception was chicken cordon bleu and english cut prime rib. They did have trouble keeping the food hot however. That is always a challenge when serving a large group of people. The service people I worked with were very friendly, accommodating and helpful. Kudos to Patrick, Leann, and Leah and the others that helped both days. Unfortunately, I did have a problem with service both days. We had paid for water/tea/coffee etc. with the meals but nothing was every offered besides the water on the table. When I mentioned this to the staff, they brought a pitcher to our table, but just set it down. They didn't offer to serve refills or take pitchers to other tables. Neither day was I asked if I wanted anything other than water and most people didn't know it was offered. I even had to ask for coffee with dessert but they hadn't made it yet, so many people were done before the coffee was ready.

Another problem with the resort is the way they nickel and dime you. Everything was extra! Very frustrating when you are planning a wedding. If you changed to round tables ($500 charge), colored linens (base price for rental, but another $20 service charge), etc. Fortunately, they were great about allowing us to store things in an empty banquet room and the staff came down several times and asked if there was anything they could help with.

The wedding ceremony location was beautiful and the Sundance Restaurant was a very pretty setting for the reception, too. So there were a lot of positives and a lot of negatives to our weekend at the Double JJ.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bcball
Holland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I took my son and mother to the waterpark on 09/2013 (after school had begun) thinking the resort would have less trafic and be more enjoyable. I decided NOT to stay overnight at the resort because of the cost and I'm soooo glad I didn't stay. I initially wanted to stay because of the waterpark package and the other 2 places ( JJ Ranch and Back Forty). The website advertised lots of Daily Activities especially at Back Forty. I was really excited for my son.
-Well. . . . waterpark is not worth the $25 adult and $20 child.
-Back Forty was a complete GHOST TOWN. We went in afternoon when schedule said there would be activities. Stores were closed and info center had no one to assist us. My poor son (7 yrs) was so disappointed/he said it was a ghost town and we should leave.
- I had asked at waterpark front desk and previously thru phone call about activities and other locations that Double J offered, SOMEONE should have been kind enough to tell me they were closed and had no activities

*Overall my son enjoyed 1 warm pool at the waterpark(other parts too cold) and that was it.
Maybe during high season in summer months this place is different.
Will not be returning :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Alma P

Travellers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Caro, Michigan, Usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Had to fill this out to contact them. rating is not accurate at this time. I do know they need make an area separate for questions and reviews. I do know sounds like a very nice place. And heard good comments people who have been here before.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Weathervane Inn
#3 of 5 in Whitehall
The Harrington Inn
The Harrington Inn
#1 of 1 in Fremont

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!