“Fun Trip”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful stay but the cabin we stayed in had a smell of propane or something not quite right. Also we wished that pool was heated and what happened to all the little kids slide? Poor smaller children would like something to play with too. Wonderful place very enjoyable. BREAKFEST IS WONDERFUL!!!

Room Tip: Need more towels and Blankets in the cabins. Love that there are bowls and silverwear
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Double JJ Resort

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We only went for the day to snow tube, originally was going to stay but due to poor reviews on water park and rooms being run down and dirty chose to stay at hotel in Grand Rapids and just go for the day. Snow tubing was fun but very expensive, have 1 price that goes from 10am - 10pm so for those only going for an hour or two (which is more than enough, it became boring to my 11 year old) it is a bit overpriced to ride a tube down a hill ($18). Also you can not go down with little ones, they have to be in a tube by themselves, so after two trips down the hill my 3 year old was done. The room in which you can sit and watch and/or warm up with hot chocolate ($3 a cup) needs some serious repair as to the ceiling tiles. One was so bulging, looked like it was going to explode any minute. Other tiles were discolored where their were previous leaks.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I took my 10 year old son for a weekend getaway Feb 7-9.

Pros - the room was nice, the water park was fun and the sledding hill was fun

Cons - Completely unorganized! We wanted to do a couple of the activities but it was a maddening trying to do anything. We asked about the smores/hot cocoa and was told where we should go. When we went at the assigned time we were met by an employee who was shocked to discover they offered smores and hot cocoa around a bon fire. She asked the other employees in the area and they also had no clue what I was talking about. They asked me where I heard that and when I showed it to her on the Double JJ Journal they give you when you check in she said she had never heard of it before. She left to find a manger and it took her 15 minutes to come back and tell me that it was something I needed to sign up for beforehand. When I mentioned that I had inquired at the front desk upon arrival and was told that all I had to do was show up she just shrugged her shoulders.

The next day we were supposed to go on a sleigh ride and was told to show up 20 minutes prior to it leaving. We arrived a half hour early and there wasn't anyone in site. The place looked like a ghost town. We went to the petting farm (what a joke! 3 donkeys, 2 goats and a pig) hoping to find someone and again there didn't seem to be anyone around. I called the front desk at the main building and they told me he was taking people out and would be back. Fair enough. So we waited in the freezing cold barn for almost an hour! Finally, when the driver came back (the driver was very nice) he informed us that he had gotten a call from the main building and we had to wait for more people. We sat in the cold in the wagon for another half hour. By the time the sleigh left (an hour after our scheduled time) we were freezing and didn't enjoy the sleigh ride much as we had been standing out in the cold for an hour and a half and really just wanted to warm up. Again, the staff did nothing when I complained.

My son wanted to ride the mechanical bull so we signed up and paid ahead of time. The ride was supposed to start at 11a and we arrived about 10 to. Nothing was set up and again, no one was in sight. A little past 11a we went to inquire about it and someone went to get the general manager. He never said anything to me so I introduced myself and told him of our problems and his response was, "It's (the ride)getting set up know, isn't it?" And then walked away. My son finally got an opportunity to ride about a half hour after we were scheduled.

Then at one of the restaurants we ordered dinner and when the waitress brought it out to us the toppings on the bun slid off onto the tray she was carrying it on. She just looked at it so I asked if she could bring out some more toppings and she said, "we wash the trays you know," before walking away. On top of that my order was wrong and when I asked for them to fix it I was told that they were getting ready to close and there wasn't anything they could do.

The experience with the staff and management was absolutely horrible. It's obvious that no one there cares about their jobs or customer satisfaction. Not once did anyone apologize to me or offer to make anything about my experiences better. Instead everyone acted as if I was a burden and that I was bothering them. The staff is not trained properly and nobody really seems to know what the rules/procedures are. It's obvious there is a huge lack of communication.

The only personable, friendly employee I met was the girl working in the arcade who really went above and beyond to make sure my son and I had a good experience while we were there. A machine broke while we were playing and she apologized and replaced our coins. She told my son the best games to play to win the most tickets and she was friendly.

The water park's rules are not enforced and most of the time there's not an attendant at any of the slides. They have a 42" tall rule for the slides but I saw parents taking their infants down them. They do have lifeguards, but they just pace back and forth and do not enforce any rules either so basically anything goes.

I won't ever stay there again. I picked Double JJ over Great Wolf Lodge due to the fact that Double JJ seemed to offer a lot more choices and activities for the buck, but next time I want to go to a water park "resort" I'll got to Great Wolf.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom condo and loved it. It was just a short walking distance from everything...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank fabdoraj
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked with group of other families for some NYE fun and from the description, it looked like it was going to be great. My husband and I had been there before in the summer for horseback riding and had a wonderful time, so we were somewhat familiar with the layout of the grounds. It is very spread out, so be prepared to walk or drive to get where you want to go. Some of the buildings could use a facelift, but the others are very nice.
There are a few different options when it comes to booking a room, suite, condo or cabin, so make sure to look a map of the grounds before you book. With the 6 families that went, we were split between the Thoroughbred Suites and the Lofts Hotel (not ideal to be so far away from each other). The Thoroughbred Suites (the nicer of the two) were very clean and had plenty of room for 8-10 to sleep. It is much nicer in person than it is in the photos online. The walls were terribly thin, so you could hear EVERYTHING on your floor and below it. There were many families there to enjoy the activities, so it was kind of loud. The Thoroughbred suites are attached to the Sundance Steakhouse, which in a few of our friends opinion, had THE BEST STEAK they have ever had.
The water park is not attached to any of the hotels, so in the winter, you will have to walk or drive to it. There was a small bus that shuttled people, but we didn't want to wait for it. The water park was actually quite fun! The kids had a blast!! The slides are awesome! Be warned...if you are not in the water, you will think it is too hot in there if you have anything other than a swimsuit or shorts on.
The activities that were included were fun for the kids. i.e. Sledding, pie eating contest, balloon drop at 10pm and the fireworks at midnight. The pizza & salad bar that was included was terrible though. However, breakfast was pretty good.
I found the staff to be nice. They seemed to be new and were not very organized, but we didn't go in expecting too much from the other reviews. Our focus was on the kids this year and they had a good time. Would we go back for the NYE celebration? Probably not for the amount of money that was charged. But we would go back in the summer to camp and enjoy the things they have to offer. The grounds are beautiful, there is a lot to do and the steaks are great.There is great potential here to be a wonderful place to go/stay.

Room Tip: Be on the top floor of the Thoroughbred Suites.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank deride
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I'll start of by saying that the area is scenic. We had booked a cabin for NYE 2013 in order to get access to the party. The party was not so much a party as a banquet hall with party favors. The music and games that we were supposed to get never happened. The DJ left midway. One of the guests took over the equipment to ensure we had music to ring in the New Year. To make matters worse, the heater wasn't working in our cabin. I called the front desk and notified them before leaving for our party. When we got back, we got one small personal heater (1000W) and a blanket. We were 3 people sleeping in individual beds, and in different rooms. When I told the staff the next morning, they were unapologetic and didn't care. No apology, no discounts, no meeting from the manager. They gave us our bill and went on to the next customer. For $300 for no party and no heater, this is quite unacceptable.

Room Tip: Go in summer where the freezing cold won't damp your night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Arun D
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked this Christmas vacation keeping my expectations low due to the past reviews here on TripAdvisor. I guess I should've had even lower expectations. I have never been to such a dirty so called resort in my life! The indoor waterpark was just plain gross, our cabin was 'spot cleaned' hair in the shower and stains on the sheets, the pull out bed was horrible with springs practically coming through the matress. The water smelled like rotting eggs. When I spoke to a manager regarding our dis satisfaction, I was treated as though my complaints we not valid. The food at the waterpark restaurant seemed to be frozen and just thrown in the microwave, yet we paid a fortune to eat there. This was not what I had planned for my family's vacation. This place could be amazing. Staff was not educated on anything, it was difficult to find someone who could answer anything, when i did get an answer it was incorrect! Maybe we were there at the wrong time but for what we paid I had expected a little more. Lesson learned, trust the previous TripAdvisor reviews.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Brian-Lill
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2014

waterpark was great!
our room (décor) was great!
most employees were very friendly:)
OVER PRICED, arcade games out of order.
extra activities to much $ for what you got. take lots of money unless you are going to sit in your room all day! BE CAREFUL, we were told we got one thing w/our package and when we got there, that was not the case. They more or less called me a liar! I wrote it all down and repeated it on the phone but they still said "our notes say something else" so basically, to bad!! We charged your cc and that is what you will pay!!! I gave it an average instead of poor only because of the nice waterpark and clean room and most employees. At midnight, something happened w/the tub above our room and it flooded down thru the light in the ceiling into our room!! It was like a waterfall. was sooo thankful the ceiling didn't cave in!! I think I have said enough!

Room Tip: we stayed in doc holiday suite...very nice! just not enough dishes or pans.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Dunes Waterfront Resort
#1 of 2 in Montague
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!