“Nice concept, poor management”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I am so frustrated. We are staying for two nights. The room was quite pricey for the stay. Then there is a 10% resort fee that is added to the price of your room. In our case, approximately $50. We have to pay to use the resort at $300 per night they? They told me they could accommodate gluten free menus, not the case. We needed ice however, there was no ice machine, we called room service 2 times, no ice. But we could buy it from the store. Really, we paid 300 for a night, now I need to buy ice? Breakfast buffet is included. Nice buffet but service was terrible. We saw our waitress for our first drinks and the bill. We asked for orange juice only to have her run past us a dozen times, no refills. We finally had to ask another waitress to help us. We stayed for two nights and we're given two washcloths, when we asked for more, housekeeping was still washing them. We asked a out 6 times. We never got them. How long does it take to wash them? $300 a night and only allowed two washcloths? We enjoyed our trip here but I don't think we'll return due to the incompetence of the management here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Geevle
There are newer reviews for Double JJ Resort

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I love the concept of JJ but a lot of buildings were closed and you have to travel to many of the amenities. It's great for young kids and just ok for pre-teens/teens. We stayed 2 nights in a cabin during the week. The cabin smelled musty and I doubt the carpets have ever been cleaned. It was well stocked with (dirty) dishes, a microwave, mini fridge and stove. Bring your own dish detergent. The master bedroom had a tub with jets which was a nice surprise. Horseback riding was awesome, the indoor water park was great, the outdoor pool was nice, we had fun racing pedal cars and we participated in the tie dye craft which was cool but we were left to our own devices to do it. Thankfully, I've tie dyed before. Bring your own food! There was only one restaurant open when we were there ( for dinner) and the food choices were very limited and only so-so. We opted for dinner in Shelby MI the second night and ate at a Trip Advisor fail. See my review of the Brown Bear. All in all, we had a good time.

• Stayed: June 2014
DJJRanch, Guest Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hello Kelly,

I am happy to hear your family enjoyed your trip to the Double JJ Resort. We are always looking for new activity ideas for teens, but I am glad you enjoyed the many activities we are currently offering. Our cabins are currently undergoing renovations to update them including replacing the carpet. We look forward to hosting your family again soon. May I suggest a weekend in July or August? The Saturday night rodeo is great fun and the pig roast is delicious!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently made a reservation online for my daughter. When she arrived she was told that was not suppose to happen, because their was another event scheduled there for the next day and they could not honor the reservation. The front desk person tried to help her but the manager said no.Her exact words were " it was not their problem"So can not really give any other feedback on accommodations, food, fun…just not very interested in ever going back to Double jj to find out.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank S J
DJJRanch, Guest Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We apologize for any confusion regarding reservations during the weekend of June 25th – June 29th. Unfortunately during these dates our entire property was rented out to the promoters of the Electric Forest Festival. As such our reservations system is unable to process reservations requests during these dates. All reservations and tickets for the festival are handled through the Electric Forest Festival itself which is outside the control of the Double JJ Resort. While our staff attempted to help your daughter to the best of our ability we were unable to locate any information of a reservation for her in our system.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I were driving up from Georgia and discovered the "JJ Ranch" purely out of desire for something different. We were on our way to Charlevoix, MI and herd about the "JJ" and said what the heck, let's check it out. It wasn't what I expected, it was more. We had a great time. We had to go horse riding everyday which did cut into my golf time seriously, but got to keep the wife happy and besides I found the trail ride to be quite relaxing. Still I really enjoyed the golf course. I could see where a family with children could have a blast here. Having a cabin in the back 40 looked like a kids dream. I would love it late season or Fall but as a child I'd love it anytime. We had splendid weather but the 70 degrees felt much warmer than the 70 degrees back home. I felt the prices were dirt cheap compared to where I stay in Florida and Florida's Hotel tax is much larger also. The staff was friendly and courteous and made sure our needs were met and they did it with a smile which was a pleasant surprise compared to an earlier stop in Chicago. A smile goes a long way. Our accommodations were comfortable and I have no complaints. Besides, I'm not one to sit in my room like so many that go to Florida, get an ocean front room and sit there all day and watch TV. Then they go home and say there was nothing to do or complain about the room because there wasn't enough cable channels or pillows. As a seasoned traveler, I've learned to carry my own pillow because I'm never happy with pillows anywhere. We originally planned to stay one night which turned into 3 nights that turned into a week. I really wish we had a place like this near Atlanta as it would be a quick getaway for a few days that doesn't cost a small fortune. I felt for the money it was a great value. Everything I needed to enjoy myself was there. I didn't have to get in my car and drive here for this and there for that, it was all right there. We had dinner one night with a couple staying next door who said they knew the new owner and he was working very hard to make things better and better. I said I was happy the way everything was. Sure I could find fault, but than why would I. I learned long ago that an idiot can find fault and be miserable. I'd rather be happy and enjoy myself which is exactly what I did. I stayed, I loved it, and my wife even kissed me for the first time in months. That probably had something to do with my opinion, guess the horses worked some magic.

Room Tip: Stayed in a suite that was great, but gotta come back in fall to stay at a cabin.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tbog6x6
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Overall a fun experience! What a great trip to take as a reminder of the simple life!
We were never bored-so much to experince and for us, we did a lot of things we never have before-horseback riding, archery, riflery.

Rooms-Loft Hotel 1 night, room certainly doesn't portray the resort well
Spent the other 2 nights in a Back 40 Cabin-those are nice, very noisy air conditioner units, can't control the ceiling fan, upstairs loft for the kids was hot and stuffy. A larger fridge and better water pressue would definitly help.

Kids are already asking when we can go back though. Someone said they just changed owners and are trying to get back up and running so hopefully next time they will have it a little more together.

Room Tip: take a fan with, stuff to start a fire if staying in the cabins
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Nice and remote location outside busy town schedule which is nice. Good for one day stay nothing more to do than that. Staff was too mechanical - when I informed them I will be checking out a day before the planned date, they just completed the formalities w/o even asking for the reason. Not much food options either - expensive in house restaurant.

2  Thank Sathish P
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Double JJ Ranch over the mothers day weekend (2014) and had a blast! We took our daughter for her first ever horseback ride, and the staff was extremely helpful with getting her onto the perfect horse for her first time. The water park was very clean and very fun, the planned activities (most of which where included in the price) where fun for all of us, and the staff from the front desk to the ranch hands to housekeeping where all helpful, polite, and very friendly about any questions we had. We stayed in one of the smaller cabins which was very well stocked (as far as cabins go), with only the minor problem of the well water smell. They are even very pet friendly, and didn't bat an eyelash when we brought in our 95lb dog, other than to want to meet him and love on him. We look forward to going to the resort again when the facilities are in full swing, and recommend this destination to anyone looking for a unique and fun get-away.

Room Tip: If you go early season (like we did), the water table has built up a decent amount of minerals while...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank flagman21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Dunes Waterfront Resort
#1 of 2 in Montague
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!