“Nice!”

Detroit Zoo
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Royal Oak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for 2,400 animals from aardvarks to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Zoo's newest attraction is the spectacular Polk Penguin Conservation Center, the largest facility for penguins in the world.
Fenton, Michigan
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have always visited the zoo. Clean and never over crowded. The new carousel is nice and the cost to ride is perfect. Parking can be a real nightmare if you cannot get into the structure. Need more volunteers in the reptile house - too many kids in there hitting the glass and squealing even when signs say "Do Not Tap"!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Shelby1284

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Killen, Alabama
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Trying but way too expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I give the zoo credit, they are trying to improve the zoo, you can tell. However, if you have read any of our revues you know we travel to a lot of zoos around this country. This is by far the most expensive zoo we have been to-$26.00 for adults, $22.00 for children 2-13. Many of the animals are far away and close ups are rare. The highlights: The wolverine exhibit is cool, the polar bear exhibit is very good if the bears are around and the people were friendly. What you can see and experience is nowhere near worth the price. Visit the Toledo Zoo instead.

1 Thank brian c
Walbridge, Ohio
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have lived in Toledo my entire life. We always visited the Toledo Zoo and I have to be honest, I didn't even know Detroit had a zoo! pleasantly surprised with the area it was located in, just north of the city. The amount of zoo there was to explore was pretty awesome. They had plenty of animals and many animals I had never even heard of! The openness of the enclosures and they way it was laid out was really cool, we were shocked at the way everything was. I've been to many zoos and this was the first one that wowed me! Do I even need to mention the Polar Bear exhibit?? I've seen exhibits similar to that but it was always for fish, not a polar bear! I will definitely be going back as often as I can! I highly recommend it!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jessica T
“Detroit zoo scam 2014”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Well I took my son today after visiting the website last night just to find out they had rented the whole zoo out for a private party and would be closing at 2:00 so needless to say I paid $47.00 for my wife my son and I to walk around for a portion of the time intended and every corner you turned there were people seting up tents and barricades more than half the exibits were unavaliable for access this was a real s@#t day.

Thank you detroit zoo!!

Michigan
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Can't Believe I've Never Gone Here Before!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I have lived in Michigan for 25 years and I cannot believe I have never been to the Detroit Zoo. What have I been missing! Lovely grounds, almost like a stroll through an old European park, and lots of walking if that's your thing. The polar bear exhibit caught me by surprise, as I was not really paying attention when I was down in the "tunnel" and suddenly saw a polar bear swimming! On the whole I was very impressed, and I really had no impressions or expectations going in so I am all the more happy for what a positive experience it was. We will definitely be back!

4 Thank EandMMichigan