“Cafeteria Blast From The Past”

Sign of The Beefcarver
Ranked #62 of 202 Restaurants in Royal Oak
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Cafeteria Blast From The Past”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My grandfather loved cafeterias. Apparently everybody's grandparents do. The Beefcarver has a lot of old fans, for several reasons: Mostly, that giant leg of roast beef where they'll carve you a few slices, and maybe even find some meat with a little pink left in it, if you ask. They'll refill your milk or whatever beverage as often as you ask. Help yourself to the free beet slices and the really powerful horseradish. For just a few bucks the shrimp cocktail is probably the best bargain in town, and I ladle on all the cocktail sauce and horseradish I like. Sadly, the veggies are all rather untasty: the broccoli florets or brussel sprouts boiled to death til they're army green then left to a soggy demise in a tray of hot water. Probably OK if you have trouble chewing. The wholesome young help will politely seat you in the barn-like dining room filled with early Americana. I keep going back every now and then, as I have for decades, when I get a craving for it. I hope it's still here in a few more decades when I really need it.

1 Thank Harry C

Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Enjoyable meal in an old "style" English Restaurant”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was one of my grandmothers FAVORITE restaurants!
Our family has visited this location on several locations. Its always clean and the food is good.
This is a cafeteria style restaurant. They do have several choices of food to try. I have always found something I like.
The prices are reasonable. Will definitely keep visiting

• Visited November 2013
Warren, MI
“Still Great!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Been coming to Beefcarver (formerly Sign of the Beefeater) since I was a kid. The food is slow cooked and lovingly prepared daily. The food and atmosphere hearken back to a time when restaurant quality meant more. Definitely worth a trip for a nice meal.

• Visited September 2013
DETROIT
“Love the Roast Beef!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I go out of my way to eat here...I just love the set up. Grab a tray and pick out whatever you want along the food line. I always get the Roast Beef with Mashed potatoes with lots and lots of gravy. The staff are very friendly and seem to know most of the customers. That's always a good sign. And I love the fact they have the horseradish and beets for anyone to help themselves too.

• Visited September 2013
Rio Verde, Arizona
“Fifty years of great roast beef.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I'm predjudiced. I worked in this restaurant in the 1960s when it was called Sign of the Beefeater. It is still owned by the same family and serves sliced roast beef from 30-pound rounds of slow-cooked beef. The menu contains other choices of fish and meats served cafeteria style. The quality is always good and the prices are reasonable. The atmosphere is colonial. A place I return to over and over again.

Visited September 2012