“Something Different ”

Sign of The Beefcarver
Ranked #44 of 215 Restaurants in Royal Oak
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

It'a cafetiria style restaurant. Nice, warm environment. Kind of reminds me how things use to be in good old days when I was in my 20's.(I am in my 40's now). The food is pretty good. I like the roast beef or the fish. I wouldn't want to eat cafetiria style every day, but once in a while it really hits the spot.

1  Thank 135catherineg

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My grandfather loved cafeterias. Apparently everybody's grandparents do. The Beefcarver has a lot of old fans, for several reasons: Mostly, that giant leg of roast beef where they'll carve you a few slices, and maybe even find some meat with a little pink left in it, if you ask. They'll refill your milk or whatever beverage as often as you ask. Help yourself to the free beet slices and the really powerful horseradish. For just a few bucks the shrimp cocktail is probably the best bargain in town, and I ladle on all the cocktail sauce and horseradish I like. Sadly, the veggies are all rather untasty: the broccoli florets or brussel sprouts boiled to death til they're army green then left to a soggy demise in a tray of hot water. Probably OK if you have trouble chewing. The wholesome young help will politely seat you in the barn-like dining room filled with early Americana. I keep going back every now and then, as I have for decades, when I get a craving for it. I hope it's still here in a few more decades when I really need it.

1  Thank Harry C
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was one of my grandmothers FAVORITE restaurants!
Our family has visited this location on several locations. Its always clean and the food is good.
This is a cafeteria style restaurant. They do have several choices of food to try. I have always found something I like.
The prices are reasonable. Will definitely keep visiting

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Been coming to Beefcarver (formerly Sign of the Beefeater) since I was a kid. The food is slow cooked and lovingly prepared daily. The food and atmosphere hearken back to a time when restaurant quality meant more. Definitely worth a trip for a nice meal.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I go out of my way to eat here...I just love the set up. Grab a tray and pick out whatever you want along the food line. I always get the Roast Beef with Mashed potatoes with lots and lots of gravy. The staff are very friendly and seem to know most of the customers. That's always a good sign. And I love the fact they have the horseradish and beets for anyone to help themselves too.