“Wedding”

Elm Farm Country House
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went to a outdoor wedding even though we have had amazing weather heeled shoes like most ladies like to wear on the soft ground is a bit of a issue. As soon as we arrived we were asked to wait to be let in the ceremony garden we wanted to take pictures of everyone coming in together their is lots of bread plastic boxes in stacks, we wanted to take some pictures near to gate but the host from the venue was very abrupt and rude, this happened again during our meal, giving a member of our table the wrong dish the card clearly stated the choice on the menu and argued saying it was wrong. Until he finally read the card and said we had one extra on the table well we were in our family group the table was set with all our names on so clearly not. WE really didn't like his attitude. I did have a hair in my lettuce prawn and cocktail and a fly in the bottled water, Its difficult at a wedding as you cannot make a fuss as you do feel grateful of the bride and groom to go to such expense on this celebration. However if we were out for dinner I would of complained. Toilets shabby and need cleaning and repainting, couldn't hear the service due to the farm animals, in the evening asked about hog roast and they did serve it but it was dry with no flavour. The disco was good but it was so hot they closed the door to outside off as private function / however windows was also closed it was a furnace so many people just had to be outside to keep cool. I didn't stay in the hotel I was a wedding guest so cannot comment on that. I am only rating the venue to help others when choosing their venue for one of the most important days of their lives, our family get together and to see our loved ones get married was lovely.

3  Thank A W

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here because we spotted a really good deal close to a couple of national trust houses we wanted to visit. To list all the things wrong with this tired and dated hotel would take forever. (The hotel inspector would have a field day) so I will concentrate on the positives. You can forgive a lot if the staff are good, and the girls here are friendly and helpful. The food is good and the breakfast fantastic. I am happy I got what I paid for, but sorry wouldn't recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: No wifi in rooms only in bar.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laderas434
Reviewed 25 July 2014

i stayed here for my nieces wedding with my wife and 18year old son who stayed in his own room the wedding went perfectly without a hitch.
But the condition of our rooms were shabby to say the least i appriciate that you only get what you pay for but it would have been nice for my son's shower to be working, he had to shower in our room and get ready in there with us.
My wife could not do her hair as the hairdryer was bolted to the wall in the bedroom but no mirror in sight.
the shower screen in our room was not worth being there as it did not stay shut so the bathroom became a wet room water every where.
whilst i was in the shower i notice the extractor fan that was directly above the shower head and i dont think it has ever seen a cloth.
the bath panel was broken/cracked and for the sake of £15.00 from B&Q it looked horrible.
when i approached someone about the shower in my sons room they told me that "he was busy setting up chairs" they did come over to rectify the problem but my son was getting changed for the wedding.
when we arrived me and my son sat in the garden for a pint and i noticed the ash trays were emptied but not wiped out and they stunk my wife smokes so i know they dont have to smell like this.
This place could be so much better the staff were hot and cold with there attitude towards me but they seem to be so busy that i would let that go.
I paid £130 pound for all of us to stay there could have had my son in with us and saved £55 (he showered in our room and dressed in there).
last but not least i had to settle my bill before i left the evening do which i found a bit strange most places let you settle the bill on check out.

3  Thank barry k
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised with our Groupon stay. It was value for money and the food was excellent. OK the rooms were basic but we were not expecting 5 star luxury at the money.
Having read some of the recent reviews I feel obligated to try and redress the balance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edwin S
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Needed an overnight stay as son was moving house and did not need a distance before helping, found this Elm Farm on late rooms.com and pleased I did. Slightly dated in room and bathroom but very clean and tidy. All you could need tea/coffe facilities, trouser press, hair dryer and well stocked bathroom toiletries. Polite staff very helpful and a fab breakfast one to set you up for the day. One slight downful a very strong perfume from the air spray in the bathroom. But will stay there again.

Room Tip: Away from the Main Country House
2  Thank 217Elaine
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Needed some where to stay for a visit to the Lotus factory tour & it was ideal. Close enough to Norwich & close enough for the factory. Choice of beers & quality food on their menu, breakfast was was plenty full. I'd choose it again.

Room Tip: Beer choice & food
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I enjoyed staying at Elm Farm. It was a 'feel good' place. The rooms were spacious with TV, hospitatlity tray, good range of toiletries in the shower room, hairdryer etc but I have to say that I did find the bed uncomfortable! I could feel the springs and think that perhaps the beds should be replaced, or at least the one in my room which was room 10 I think.
The breakfast was excellent, although as unfortunately it didn't start until 7.30 and I had to be at Petans at 8.00, I couldn't really make the most of it. I know that Petans do send quite a lot of people there so it would good if breakfast times could be brought forward to say 7.00 or 7.15.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
The Black Swan Inn
The Black Swan Inn
#2 of 2 in Horsham St Faith

Been to Elm Farm Country House? Share your experiences!