“A nice weekend Away”

Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
Toledo, Ohio
“A nice weekend Away”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I were recently married and had little time for a "honeymoon" of the traditional sense. We had a free weekend pop up but with little time to plan ahead, we found that most places in upper Michigan were booked up. That's when we came across the Montague Inn in Saginaw. We knew very little of the area, and I had read other reviews of the place telling me we were rolling the dice. We were pleasantly surprised, though. We stayed in the montague suite which was wonderful! We really felt like we were living in royalty. The beds are hard...very hard, but we slept fine. And the staff was quite nice and accommodating. Other guests that we shared breakfast with seemed satisfied as well. We used Saginaw as our "home base" and took several day trips to Bay City and Birch Run. We relaxed and really had a great time. The city of Saginaw, however, is quite depressed. There were very few decent restaurants or places of entertainment. Don't plan to stay there in the city, but Montague inn is a welcome change from a typical hotel and really reasonably priced. They've done a beautiful job of keeping it up, from our perspective.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I were driving through Saginaw on the way to northern Michigan, so we weren't coming to stay for a weekend or a romantic night. We were there to have a place to stay. We were in the midst of a 12 day driving trip, so I tried to book us at some interesting inns to add to our experience. The Montague Inn was like a step back in time. The innkeeper was very helpful when we arrived; he was nice and helped us into our room (no elevator, so pack lightly). The house is lovely. I had booked the room so knew we had the suite, but it was even more spacious than expected - way more space than we would ever need for a quick night at a hotel. For a romantic weekend, it would be very accommodating. It had a musty old person smell - that was more in the room than it was in the whole house. And it was hot (we were there in the midst of a heat wave, so it wasn't the inn's fault). They did have a fan, but I never really cooled down. And the bed was quite uncomfortable - I could feel every spring pushing into my body. The bathroom area is very old; I wasn't able to get much water to come out of the shower and there wasn't a hair dryer (although I'm sure if I had asked, they would have had one).

It just was odd - and too old for us thirtysomethings. But again - since we were just passing through, it was hard for us to appreciate the room. I had read that the breakfasts were lovely, but it was very very limited - a few breads and cereals and they eventually brought out some watermelon. It seems that the innkeeper that morning was maybe shortstaffed as she seemed rushed and a little frustrated. She was kind to give us a discount when we checked out as she indicated that most everyone had some sort of discount.

I really hate writing negative things on this website unless they are constructive criticism. So I am sorry for writing these things. It wasn't terrible; but I would definitely stay somewhere else if we found ourselves in Saginaw again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dew0705
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in the Montague Inn for 2 nights. What a disappointment this turned out to be! We were the only two people staying at the time (which perhaps says it all) so there was no excuse for the service we received. The house is indeed beautiful as others have mentioned, with each room decorated very tastefully, but the decor is tired in places and on closer inspection, could do with some attention. We, like others were greeted by James and had an opportunity to see around the house - an unofficial tour, so can attest to the state of the rooms - we stayed in "Mary Sage," right at the top of the staircase. The property is advertised as a Bed and Breakfast establishment, which, I suppose it is, but what a breakfast! Like others have commented, it was a DIY effort - no one on hand to greet you, no table set, coffee flask set out, no hot water or breakfast tea, only herbal or flavoured teas. We had to ask for bread, milk and hot water for tea. The second morning we had hoped they might have learned from the previous morning, and yes, the hot water was sitting out, and had been for some time - it was barely luke-warm when we came down - do Americans not know that tea is made with boiling water, not hot water? We have stayed in many B&Bs in UK and Ireland and have never experienced service or a breakfast like this - and frankly do not want to experience it again. On our return from a long day out on our second day, we came back to the Inn exhausted only to find that the bed had not even been made up. If this is American hospitality, I will stay in hotels in future. I would certainly NOT recommend this place for accommodation and can't understand how others have such low expectations. I recommend that you don't go there unless you wish to be disappointed too.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jetlagged54

Travellers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

Three Oaks, Michigan
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We booked a room at the Montague for our 5th wedding anniversary weekend. The price was a bit much, but being a bed and breakfast, we expected nothing short of red-carpet treatment. The front desk staff was very pleasant, but only dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Our room was on the third floor in the main building. It was very spacious, with a comfortable bed and period accents and furniture. We had a gas fireplace, which was very convenient for the cooler evenings in early May. The bed seemed very clean and well dressed, but the rest of the room needed work. For example, I don't think the walls or ceiling in the bathroom have been cleaned since the Inn opened in 1989. There was all sorts of spots and drips on the walls, probably from years of hairspray and who knows what else. The floors didn't look like they had been swept in a while. The rug under the bed was all crooked and folded over against the wall. Considering the price, I had expected the rooms to be spotless. Breakfast the following morning was serve-yourself, from a choice of mini boxed cereals, mini cans of juice, mini yogurts, fresh fruit, and cold (refrigerated) bagels and pastries. There wasn't even any milk set out for the cereals. There were no dishes or utensils in an obvious location, other than the ones on the china cabinet, therefore that was what we used. After spending two nights, upon checking out, we were given no receipt, no confirmation, nothing more than a "Thanks, and Have a Good Day". When I asked about a receipt, the woman at the desk said she couldn't give me one. I only hoped the charge to my card would be correct. The amount she quoted me sounded about right, but considering she gave us a 10% discount for our troubles, the final price still seemed to high.

Room Tip: Robert's room is very beautiful, if you can look past the stains on the walls.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank msuHerbie
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We loved our stay at the Montague Inn. It was everything we expect from a high quality, boutique B&B or even hotel. When we arrived, we were greeted by James, who showed us all the available rooms in detail, providing an informative and interesting tour of the wonderful house and grounds. We were allowed time and space in the house while we chose our room. The room itself was very well catered for and finished to a high quality. There were many lovely touches to personalise our stay, from the room guest book to the individual house tour, to the breakfast for our own needs. I would recommend the Montague to anybody passing through the area, I know we'd definitely try to stay there again should we ever be in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My husband and I were looking for a nice bed and breakfast around the Frankenmuth area and stumbled upon this one. The pictures looked nice and the reviews were pretty good, so we decided to go for it. When I called to reserve a room, we were informed that Saginaw's Christmas celebration would be going on that weekend, but that visitors would be kept on the main floor and not allowed upstairs (where our room was). This was fine with us, as we wanted to check out the celebration as well and didn't mind some people and noise as long as it was kept downstairs.

When we arrived, the host was very pleasant and informative. I took the time to look around the other rooms and James showed me the hidden room in the study and we chatted about the history of the family. The inn is truly gorgeous and it was a neat experience to stay at it. The Christmas decorations added to the charm.

We left around 5:30 to walk around Saginaw and enjoy the festivities. It was very nice being able to walk across the river to old town Saginaw and enjoy the lights and carriage rides around town. It was a bit chilly, so we made our way back around 7:30 to relax and heat up around the fireplace in our room. We had to wait in a line for about 10 minutes to get back inside, which was a little frustrating but understandable since so many people were trying to get in. Once we got inside, we quickly realized that everyone was allowed to wander upstairs despite promises from multiple people that they would be kept downstairs. When we finally got to our room, it was anything but relaxing for the next few hours. We had people talking loudly and trying to get into our room. When you're trying to enjoy a relaxing, romantic evening, multiple people trying to walk into your room almost ruins the evening.

The next morning, we came downstairs for breakfast. Perhaps we are naive, but every other time we've stayed at a bed and breakfast, it included a hot breakfast. This breakfast was worse than the one we got the night before at a chain hotel. There were no dishes set out, so we took some mugs off of a china cabinet to use. The meal consisted of small boxes of cereal, stale bagels, store bought yogurt, and three apples.

Also, around 9am when we came down for breakfast, there were still leaves and bits of cookies strewn about everywhere still from the night before. It was quite a mess.

We complained to the hostess when we left, and she did give us a 10% discount off of our room after explaining that she knew someone would complain. Apparently they were short staffed the night before. She told us that next time we should simply not stay there the night of the Christmas festivities if this bothered us and that the maid wouldn't be in until later to clean up the mess.

To us, a bed and breakfast is as much an experience of staying at the inn as it is enjoying good customer service. The inn was beautiful and we greatly enjoyed that part of it. The service was not so special. Although the hostess did apologize, we also felt we were being reprimanded for complaining since we knew the Christmas celebration was going on. We were very disappointed by the lack of a quiet, romantic evening, no breakfast, and how dirty the place was the next morning. Surely if they knew hundreds of people were coming by, they could have found employees to help out for 3 hours.

My recommendation would be to stop by to look at the inn and ask to see the rooms, but don't bother staying here. It's not worth the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors get less noise filtered from the lower level.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank justme339
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Where do I began. We had made reservations to take my 79 year old mother to dinner at the Montague. We had a party of 12 and we were all looking forward to a special evening. the waitress could not have been mire rude and unprofessional. She seemed to be mad or upset as she was slamming drinks in front of people, yelling 'listen up here' and then announcing what the were out of. One of our guests never got his dinner even after she cane out and said she missed someone and reconfirmed the entire order. We had to ask for bread and when we asked for more she said 'it's a no go on the bread'. This person gas absolutely no business whatsoever serving anyone.

Now the food. Gross! My tenderloin tasted Like liver! Not one dish passed as half way decent. We all agreed the only edible item was the bread. Bottom line. Stay away from this place. Do not waste your time and money.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Sluggolito
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
Ramada Saginaw Hotel & Suites
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn & Suites Saginaw
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saginaw

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!