“This was what we wanted our weekend to be”
Review of Montague Inn

Montague Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
travelgirrl2
“This was what we wanted our weekend to be”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I had read some review of the Montague Inn before arriving but after booking and was a bit nervous about what the accommodations would be. Well, there was no need to be nervous!!! The Inn was exactly what I wanted it to be. I felt like we had stepped back in time. The staff was great and the surroundings were nothing short of MAGICAL. The location is not the greatest, but that doesn't even matter because the grounds are so beautiful. We were all the way up on the 3rd floor in a lovely little room that suited us perfectly. I would strongly suggest this reasonably bed and breakfast to anyone who is considering a weekend at Frankenmuth:)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed 2 January 2010

The Montague Inn is simply amazing. My wife and I love it and have been treated with the utmost respect and friendliness and have always felt like we were special. Our dinner this past trip (New Years Eve) was spent in the gorgeous and wonderfully romantic Robert's Room. The fireplace and Christmas tree in the room were both really a nice surprise. As for our meal, I had the Beef Medallions which were cooked perfectly and my wife had the Lamb Shankwhich was so tender it was falling off of the bone. Our server was bright and bubbly and let us take our time through all the courses of a wonderful dining experience in the very crowded dining room. We expected the crowd as it was a holiday so there is no use complaining about a restaurant that is busy. I believe some people find things to complain about and it's too bad. I 110% recommend the Montague Inn

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2009

This was the worst experience of my entire life! We had dinner reservations for 8 people at 6:30 to celebrate my Mothers 85th birthday. Four of us traveled from Tampa Fl and the rest were local. I guess I should have been worried from the start when on a Friday evening there were only two cars in the entire parking lot.
We were greeted eventually by a younger man that was poorly dressed. Our waiter was very nice and I believe his name was Justin. Believe me he was the only bright spot in the entire evening.
We placed our drink order and every beer that was ordered they advised us they were out of.
We all ordered our meals from a very very limited and somewhat expensive menu. Only one person ordered an appetizer which was a shrimp cocktail which took about 45 minutes to come out to the table. It would have been better if it didn't come out as it tasted like rubber and was just horrible.
We kept asking the waiter for the status of our food and he kept telling us it would be out soon as the cooks were busy. I looked around in the different rooms and at this point there were two tables occupied. One table had 4 people that had just arrived and had not even ordered and the other table I believe had 3 people. After aother 45 minutes our food started to come out however only 5 of the 8 meals ever arrived. The chicken breast I ordered (they served one small breast) along with the veggies was ice cold. My sister ordered the veggie ravioli, which was "warm" but edible. My husband ordered the Beef Medallions which were not tenderloin as advertised but a cheap over done chewy piece of cold beef. I could go on about the food and lack of food but will stop here. After 20 minutes of wating for the additional meals we got up to leave. Our waiter had no idea what to do and the other female waitress said she kept trying to call management to see how to handle but couldn't get anyone on the phone. Long story short we ended up paying $62.00 for drinks.
This is how we spent over 2 hours for my Mothers 85th birthday. This should have been a very memorable experience and was a total nightmare! We walked away sad, frustrated and very hungry.
I just pray this never happens to anyone else. The owner Naomi has my phone number as she called to verify the reservation but could not pick up the phone to apologize.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank ShelbySue06
salesmanagerM, Manager at Montague Inn, responded to this review, 10 November 2009
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking time to write review. We strive to provide the proper service to our guests. We always welcome comments from our guests. That helps us to improve our service. I have few comments about your review; first able, you never mentioned that you are booking a birthday party and you all are paying separately. You reserved for regular dining for 8 people. Server took order on individual ticket. Chef cooks food as ticket comes – first come first serve. Two people got dinner late. This is a fine dining restaurant, we expect our guest have at least two hours for their dining. Our lead server came to your table and apologized for the delay. You said to her that you did not eat at all and you did not pay the entire food bill. Now I see that you ate and everybody has to say something about our food. We use best food supplier, we serve 8 oz tenderloin beef and 6oz chicken breast. I apologize that we could not still meet your expectation after all we provided you free food and services on that evening.

Travellers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

Canton, OH
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I was mortified when we arrived in town to the Montague Inn. The downtown area of Saginaw where the Inn is located is completely run down, very poor, and seems completely unsafe. Not a nice historic place at all. I will be honest and say that the inn is located a short distance away from what looks like the project housing, but as far as I'm concerned, still way to close to a very junky area of town. The website makes it look like it's located in a beautiful, quiet quaint area. Ojibway Island is practically in our backyard, and they hold many outdoor concerts there. That does not make for a peaceful stay. I had booked my husband and I for The Dressler Room. It was located in the carriage house (which is just the old garage turned into 3 different rooms) There was no other couples on the premise that I was aware of, not even in the main house. It was to be honest very creepy and eerie feeling, the entire place was. There was a beer bottle sitting on the garden stones, and cigarette butts thrown around. I will say the room itself I found to be clean. And trust me, I check everything when I go into a hotel room. When we walked into main house to check in, there was 2 maids, and they looked scared to death we were there. I felt very uncomfortable. The front guy was okay, he was not rude or unattentive, we just felt very strange at the Inn. My husband and I went to dinner and were honest with one another about how disappointed we were. We went back and there was an eaten up pear core thrown outside the door to get into the rooms that wasn't there previously. We loaded up everything as quickly as possible, and informed the desk we were unhappy, and did not wish to stay. We felt they really misrepresented this Inn. They still made us pay $105.00 (one nights stay) when we were only there for 3 hours. I would never recommend this place to anyone. It was frightening, and just really not worth the money you will pay. I am not going to pay $100.00 a night to stay in such a nasty part of town.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MACgirl312
salesmanagerM, General Manager at Montague Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2009
Dear Guest: I am very disappointed that you posted this review and you felt that way about our property. We are in a historic grove district on Lake Linton in Saginaw, surrounding the children zoo, Japanese tea garden, Ojibway Island and the Veteran memorial park, not far from the Temple Theatre, Dow event center and the Castle Museum. Our guests like our place because of its location and that it is calm and quiet not busy like a regular hotel. Ojibway Island is on the other side of Lake Linton, not all the time are there events. This summer there were only two music events. We have pear trees on our property everywhere. We clean up daily eaten up pears by the squirrels. You arrived on Sunday, which is really the slowest day in hospitality business around here. That night we had guests in the Jackson Church room next to the Dresser room, where you were staying, also there were guests in the main building. You used our room for a few hours and used the bathroom and bed. Your husband was glad to pay for one night and he appreciated the two nights refund. If you were unhappy with our location or property, you could have refused to check in, and we would have not charged you for the room at all.
Grand Blanc MI
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband and I had a coupon from this inn so we arrived to find the parking lot with two big trucks blocking all spaces and others who parked however they felt. We found a place and walked thorugh the front door. There was no one at the desk! We waited a bit before someone came and acted as if they did not know why we were there. We explained we had reservations and she quickly took our money. Then a man, I think John showed us to our room. Outside the window were many men walking outside in the backyard. There was to be a wedding on saturday and this was a rental company preparing for the wedding two days away. Mind you there was no air conditioning and forget opening up the windows with people who literally could look in! Forget privacy!!! No one informed us that we would have to share our room with so many people. There were no shades on the windows and when we walked out of the room to inquire about privacy we were told to "pull the drapes closed." Ok, so now we are to have a bleak dark room and still share with others, I don't think so! We quickly informed John that we would not stay.

If you are planning a wedding this place is nice. the guest who are not part of the event will suffer! If you decide to stay here, ask if there is a wedding that will impose on your stay. Good luck!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gwkelley
salesmanagerM, Manager at Montague Inn, responded to this review, 29 September 2009
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking time to comment. We strive to provide the proper accommodations for our guests. We always welcome comments from our guests. That helps us to serve you better. But I have few comments about your review; we have eight acres of land with plenty of parking spots surrounding the circular drive way and the main building. Our tent company was setting up the tent for the upcoming wedding for the weekend. They parked their trucks close to the courtyard that is close to the backyard of the Inn. Still there were plenty of parking spots near the front entrance. Beside that we have many parking spots on the other side of the main building. You arrived before check in time. The Tent Company was still setting up the tent. Acker Suite has one window towards the courtyard. Even though this is a Georgian style house, each room has ample of windows for daylight and the beautiful view. After you checked in, you came to the front desk and complained about your privacy. Our front desk person politely explained to you that you could close the curtains to make it more private and he offered assistance. He also offered to show you other rooms not facing the courtyard. You refused to stay and we refunded you a full payment. You mentioned in the review that we don’t have air condition; we do have air condition and that is on 24 hrs.
Chicago
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Montague Inn on several occasions over the past year, most recently on March 6th and 7th, 2009. We have always enjoyed our stay at the Inn, and found the staff to be helpful. Naomi and John are dedicated to providing the guests with first rate service. The rooms are lovely and well appointed. A real Find!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThomasWaters
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We did not stay at property, although we have done so many times in the past years. It was always a special, anticipated trip. We came for dinner before a concert at Dow Event Center.
As we came up the walkway of this stately home, we were both saddened by the general feeling that it was being let go. Shutters askew etc. When we entered 3 workers turned and gave us a dear-in-the-headlight look. We were settled in. and dinner service started. We ordered Champagne, was brought out a split, which was fine.
Tasted it and realized it was cheap sparkling wine. We mentioned that it was not what we ordered and it was taken off bill. Dinner plodded along, even though we had mentioned quite a few times that we had an event to attend. Finally after one hour our mains were brought out, they were fine, but had to be bolted since we had 15 mins to get to our show. Our waiter tried, I think, but was woefully untrained. I had read it was under new management and I hope they have bags of money to restore this gem to its former glory. It will be a while until we return, if ever.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Melanieann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
Ramada Saginaw Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Saginaw
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Saginaw
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Four Points by Sheraton Saginaw

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!