“Terrible, not what it use to be”

Northgate Inn Saginaw
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Toledo, Ohio
“Terrible, not what it use to be”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Whenever I use to come to Saginaw I stayed at northgate( best value inn) as it was know back then. It was a nice little motel back then and they kept it clean and updated. But when I went there this time it was not what I remember it to be. The rooms had a bad smell, stains, and outdated. The beds were caved in and dirty. It looks like somebody else runs the motel now, and is not taking care of it. They tried charging me $80 which is over priced.

You are better off staying at some other motel. Try avoiding this motel, I rather sleep in my car next time.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Nathanbender

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Alpena, Michigan
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I booked 2 rooms online, showed up to get in the rooms. The Middle Eastern man behind the desk told us we had no rooms, even though I produced the confirmation number. He was nasty about it. We hats to insist we have rooms. Finally as he was going through his reservations, we found oue rooms. Upon finally getting in the rooms we felt the room: They were old, unclean the phone and internet service didn't work. Not recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank NMIGUY

Travellers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Certainly too expensive what you get. From the outside it is a true motel. The rooms are somewhat upgraded. But the bed and pillow would not qualify for a good sleeping experience. And they were wrapped in plastic.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fillmap
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We checked into the hotel - as we pulled up there happened to be about 3-4 cop cars next door to the hotel - alreadywe didn't feel safe- when we checked it at first appearance it seemed ok - but when we shut the door it stunk like mold -it was soo gross - I pulled back the sheets there was stains on the sheets i checked the pillows there were dirty pillow cases on the bed .If you walked on the floor in your bare feet the carpets seemed damp if you touched the furniture in the room it was damp ! Thankfully we brought our blankets and pillows with us - i barely slept that night when i did look up when i was laying down there was cob webs around the lamps. Soo gross! I have astma We had to leave very early in the morning I was becoming very sick .

Room Tip: Stay in Birch Run or in a higher brand name hotel - there is always an option of seeing a room befor...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank capercatfraser79
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I was travelling with my daughter and saw this place online for reasonable prices (around $50/night for 2) We did not book online because of our travelling did not know how far we were going to get. You can imagine my surprise when we arrived around 8 pm to see if there was a room. We were told there was only one left, it was small but had a nice big bathtub (you can see a photo of it online)... available for $115/night. I turned and walked out the door. I mean, I was very tired but I was not stupid. I was quickly called back, low and behold another room came available for $60.

My daughter suggested we take it and while we were paying were sternly told that many rooms in this area that are similar go for $130/night and there was nothing wrong with the price. We should have booked online to get the price we were getting. I just smiled and nodded and wanted to get freshened up to finally go out and eat.... We got into the room and were disappointed, as it was not very clean. Hair in the tub, stains on the walls...

I have learned from my mistake. If you are pretty sure you are getting ripped off.....just walk away...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank PJHalliday
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Never would have picked this hotel, but a few of my friends did the unpublished thing thru the internet and had great luck. Me not so much. It is far from the 2 star rating it got. Weird mystery stains on the walls,any not the cleanest, we didnt sit on the chair or couch in the room.the bed was ok, no scary stains on the white sheets and no bed bugs seen. So thats good. Its fine for passing thru town if your aware that its a low end motel, i was just very disappointed at expedia for allowing this hotel on there unpublished site, i did not feel like we saved any money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon H
Bonavista, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I booked this hotel through hotwire and it was listed as a 2-star with complimentary breakfast. We've stayed at a few 2-star hotels through hotwire like the Baymont in Columbus (reinbacker/obetz) or the Best Western in Grand Rapids and they we're great hotels for the money. However there is no way that this motel should be listed as a 2-star hotel on hotwire; it smelled really bad and was disgustingly worn out and dirty. Luckily being a motel we could just keep the kids secure in the van, while we opened the door and surveyed the place, which is absolutely not up to the typical standards that a 2-star hotel at Hotwire should be. We checked back out immediately. The complimentary breakfast area was in the 5x7 front desk check-in area, where the front desk person is behind plexi-glass:There would be no place to sit and eat your breakfast, if you were actually brave enough to spend the night. Norman Bate's Motel had more appeal!

Room Tip: Your vehicle is better choice.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family