“Need to close and regroup”

Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed 15 August 2012

First, I want to say the staff here is friendly and they try to help you. That being said, this hotel needs an overhaul. The lobby and pool area seems okay, however, the rooms need to be redone and hotel needs to purchase much-needed supplies. There are stains everywhere (floor, beds, couches, ceilings, towels, etc), and our room did not have blankets and bedspread.(Fortunately we use our own blankets and pillows when traveling). Water in tub took hours to drain after showering. There is a lounge in the Hotel and on a Sunday night there was thumping music until the early hours. With some TLC and some room renovations this can be a convenient hotel as it is right off from I-75 in Saginaw and convenient to those traveling to and from the UP. I hope they really make an all-out-effort and make this a good place to stay. Good luck!

Room Tip: Poolside Rooms are convenient to the pool. There is a lounge int he hotel, so if there is a party...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sallybeecleveland
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Don't go here, I mean it. went to check in at 3:00 - multiple rooms. most rooms not ready until after 10:00 pm. Was with a group - here is what we collectively experienced. Smelly, musty rooms, sewer flies, dirty sheets, blood on a pillow, visible stains on walls, carpets, beds, ceilings, boxsprings. Cigarette burns in comforters, and windows. Rooms not cleaned yet but keys given any way, those rooms waited hours to be cleaned. Not enough towels in rooms, towels that were there were scratchy. broken elevator, keys given to new customers even though rooms were occupied. Cold water not working. At check in, pubic hair on used soap in shower, dead skin and nails on sink counter. gunk on sheets, sheets appeared to have been used, many threadbare. no mattress covers, so when you lifted the sheets to check for bedbugs, all stains were clearly visible. No sprinklers in the event of fire. Is this place even up to code? Should it be reported to the health department? broken ice machines, worn and old across the board. probably the worst neighborhood in Saginaw. I understand the red roof inn down the street is host to drug dealers and prostitutes. That was all this place was missing to complete the picture. I feel bad for the people that work there. They try to help but the product they have to sell you is just awful.

Room Tip: keep driving.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sassymouthsue
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Okay, I am not one to complain or review the many hotels that we stay in, however this must be said for everyone's safety. Upon arrival the said pool and hottub closed. Someone was working on it. Yeah right. We get to the room, dirty and smelly however we turned the air on. Sent out shopping and came back for a shower. Hot water tap worked, barely, cold water tap turned and turned and turned.....did not work. The tub questionable. I do not recommend bare feet or bathing your children in the tub. Sent to the desk at 1130pm and employee was going to allow me into another room to shower. Ah i think not we finally changed rooms. This room dirty and not even cleaned. Another room here we go.....only a sheet on the bed with stains all over the bed. Third room now 1230am red stains on the sheets
Spoke with manager. Offered to give us half off a future stay. I said what... As if I'm coming back. Then offered 15 percent off our weekend stay. The fixed the pool..a chemical issue. We walked to the pool area and smelled like and chemical disaster...our eyes we watering about 50 feet from the pool.

But hey top it off I met a guy who knew where to score some good stuff....unbelievable can it get any worse.... Yes.

Service is horrible. I learned once again you get what you pay for. Crappy dirty bed, dirty bathroom, dirty floors and nobody cared.

However if you are okay with these conditions...great value.....however I'm going home to get antibiotics.

Room Tip: Sorry. My tip is to go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jayzam79
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Warn carpet, room smelled like pee... YUKKKK !!! and outrageous price...try some other place for good night sleeeeppp

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Me and my family are visiting Michigan for a couple months and we have spent 2 months here already and it as an awesome place to stay. The rooms are very nice and clean. I've had problems with bugs in the past at other hotels and I'm glad to say I haven't met even a single ant for the entire time i've stayed here. The staff is quite friendly. The manager Jason has gone out fo his way to make our stay so very pleasant. Always reccommending places to go and asking us how he can make our stay even more comfortable. It's a great location too with lots of food choices within walking distance. I will definitely be staying here every time I come to saginaw from now on.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Satyam P
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My family stayed at this location for a night the next day we woke up regretting the warning signs. The first sign was after checking in and walking towards the elevator the smell of old/humid/dusty alarmed our senses and my sister allergies began to flare. Being we all were exhausted and checked in after 10pm and had the intentions of leaving first thing in the morning we decided to stay.

My room was fair, bed was comfortable, sheets were clean, however I noticed areas that could have been cleaned better. My sister called me the she had mold growing in her toilet and she was going to request another room. Moments later she confirmed her next room was in slightly better condition and was just ready to go to sleep. To make a long story short the next day we were all sick (Party of 6) with chills, fever, shortness of breath, and headaches. Dr confirmed it was an allergic reaction to mold. The front desk clerk confirmed they are currently renovating however I am going to tip off the health department simply because they should not be in operation until the issue is fixed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank smilez230
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I went here with my boyfriend on a lower budget thinking it wouldn't be all that bad. When I went in the lobby I had to wait 10 minutes before anyone came to help me with my reservation. When the lady finally came she was very rude to me. We got our room keys and decided to go check everything out. We realized we were the only ones on our entire floor and it smelled awful. We walked in our room and my first impression was that it was trashy. The paint was peeling off the walls in the bathroom, the bottom of the tub was black. Half of the lamps in the room didn't work, the tv was broken, the room was cold, there was a huge old blood stain on the sheets and the carpet was disgusting we didn't even want to take our shoes off. We checked out the pool area and it was supposed to be open but almost every light was off and it just looked plain dirty. We both refused to even go in. We decided to get a refund and while waiting in the lobby we noticed the only lady in front of us was getting a refund as well. I don't reccomend this hotel to anyone none the less I would never want to come back here. Plus it was in a terrible run down location. I'd say the only time this hotel was ever nice was prolly like 30 years ago.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Paancake
ABVIsaginaw, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

We are very sorry that you were not happy with your stay, it should never take 10 minutes to service our guests and we deeply apologize. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to inform us of some of the issues. All of these items have been shared with our staff so they can be avoided in the future. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than a great room and great service.