“Unacceptable sub-standard and unclean facility!”

Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Check in took us over an hour, as I had to check out three rooms before I found one with a clean enough tub and shower so we could at least refresh ourselves before bed and upon awakening. The entire facility had a stale cigarette like stench to it, there were overflowing trash dispensers, trash on the floors in the hallways, the floors looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in quite some time, including our room, dirty and torn bath towels, heavily worn bed spread, blanket, sheets, and pillow cases. The room air conditioner sounded like an airplane flying, every time it came on throughout the night. Hallways had strong smell of cigarette smoke in the morning. Disgusting place, we should've been given a full refund. The State Health Department should inspect this place. If they did, I'm sure they would be shut down. They also rent rooms on a weekly and I believe, monthly basis. As a result of this, I believe, the place is being neglected, and poverty income individuals are utilizing this place for very cheap, and unclean housing. Travelers shouldn't be subjected to this type of facility, in the name of just trying to get a deal at the last minute for a room. I was certain not to walk on the floor without shoes on. This place is not even worth the $40.00 rate we paid for a queen bed. Because of the filth, throughout this facility, we did not even risk enjoying the complimentary breakfast. We stayed in room 219 on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. We will never stay in an Americas Best Value Inn again, whatever the room rate! DISGUSTING!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Richard T
Ryannon H, Public Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand that experienced many issues including odors and cleanliness and housekeeping in general as well as with your air conditioning unit. I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. We have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms and hallways. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This place is a mess! We checked in walked to our non smoking room and it smelled like a cigarette hide out. Cigarette were all over the sink in restroom. So I went to the front desk and they assigned me another room it also had a strong smell of cigarette. When I walked in the restroom the toilet seat wasn't put together. The pool was out of order and the hotel has a very bad smell. I went to the front desk to request a refund and I checked out.. This place is run down! We are in town for a family reunion and we stayed at this hotel when we were in MI a few years ago the place has changed names and it's run down. They should CLOSE

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank K M

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand that you had several issues with cigarette and other odors, pool out of order, and a broken toilet seat. I apologize that your experience was not satisfactory and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. We have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms and hallways. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Even though we got the hotel at a great price for the week there was several things wrong. The first thing that caught my attention was the fact that the side entrance into the hotel, which was suppose to be locked, wasn't and anyone could come in at anytime. One of the elevators was out of order, Sauna wasn't working, fitness room had no operating equipment, no grills were available, Play area/Picnic area was a joke it was used by the adults as a designated smoke area, they advertise free internet and fail to tell you that your only access to that is in the main lobby, both ladders in the pool were broken. On the upside it was close to I-75, the pool was always nice and warm, the whirlpool was operating, & the staff were all friendly and very informative about the area and things going on.

Room Tip: wouldn't recommend this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand you had several issues with things being out of order, feeling safe, and the internet. I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. We have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms and hallways. Also, we are currently working with our internet provider in order to get a better signal strength in our rooms. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 of the 3 nights we booked. Hotel directly off the highway, but in a sketchy part of town. Very dated property, but clean. Breakfast included, basic but edible.

One complaint I did have was the hotel manager's brother came outside our second night, invited himself to sit down with my friend and I, outside, late evening (rudely interrupted our conversation and he was a very high strung black male). At first the conversation seemed innocent but he quickly proceeded to ask me and my friend what our sexual preferences were and if white Canadian women really enjoyed black men (fill in the blanks). I quickly gobbled my drink and prompted my friend to come inside. I am not sure if he was drunk or high to be quite honest.

This was one of the reasons we left a day early.

Wifi at the hotel is very unreliable. If you can, stay elsewhere. Price was cheap but I would never return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angele A
Ryannon H, Public Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand that you had issues with a family member of an employee and the internet as well. I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. The employee that you mentioned is no longer with us. Also, we are working with our internet provider in order get a stronger signal in all of our rooms. In addition, we have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms and hallways. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Nothing works! Bad TV, no air, wi fi only in lobby, fridge luke warm! Go to motel 6 if you want to save money! I travel often for work and this was my worst hotel stay ever! Definitely will never use this chain again!

• Stayed: June 2014
Ryannon H, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Saginaw South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand that you had many issues with things not working properly for you. I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. We have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms and hallways. We are also working with our internet provider to get a stronger signal inside of our rooms. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here one night on Memorial Day weekend. I had read mixed reviews, but the price was great at $40, so we took a chance. The front door looked a little cruddy and I thought we might have made a mistake. Our room was clean and comfortable. There was a table but only one chair, so that might be an issue for some people, but we didn't need the extra chair. Some people have mentioned that the hallways smell. It most likely is from the indoor pool in the adjacent atrium. The hallways from the main hotel halls leading to the atrium are open, so there aren't doors to contain the smell. The atrium and pool area appeared to be very nice. The breakfast is all carbs: bagels, toast, cereal, but the do have a waffle maker. It was enough to get us going. Overall, it was a very good value and we would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am happy to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay and would like to invite you to stay with us again. We are very recently under new management and will be making many renovations and updates to our rooms and hallways, as well as adding to continental breakfast. I would love for you to stay with us again and have an even better stay. I am happy to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we have available rooms. To accept this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the date of your previous stay as well as the day you would like to reserve. This offer will remain valid until November 30, 2015. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Where do I start. The pictures on this site are not todays look..... I'm sure it once was a grand place to stay but NOT TODAY!! The pool was down and hot tub... They did give us a rebate for this..... The safety lock chain was ripped off the entrance door to our room, dirty carpet... peeling wall paper.... dirty tub..... felt so very unsafe..... just creepie. If you are going to have this hotel might I suggest updated it by section.. keeping the other sections closed until undates can be made. Dining area is not bad at all.If you did 5 rooms a month with new carpet.... new bedding.... freshed walls and ceilings... and just a major good old fashion scrubbing you could bring the dignity back to a once nice hotel... just a suggestion.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I understand that you had several issues with maintenance, housekeeping, the pool, as well as feeling safe. I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and would like the opportunity to show you how exceptional our hotel can be. We have very recently changed management and are in the process of implementing many changes to our property. These changes include, but are not limited to, re-training our staff and renovating and updating our rooms. I am so sure that we can change your mind about our property that I would like to offer you one FREE night Sunday through Thursday, or 50% off of one night on any Friday or Saturday that we available rooms. This offer will be available to you until November 30, 2015. To claim this offer please e-mail me at ABVInnSaginaw@hotmail.com with your name and the dates of your previous stay and the date that you like to reserve. Again, I apologize for your previous stay and look forward to making it up to you.