“Stay away from this one!”

Knights Inn Saginaw
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It was very late at night, I was tired, and there was only *one* room left in Saginaw. I thought to myself: it's only for a single night. How bad could it be??

Pretty bad.

I asked the manager if I could take a look at the room before I registered. It was so dirty and looked so generally neglected that I felt a need to check for bedbugs. I didn't find any, but there was a lot of cigarette ash between the mattress and box springs, and btw the mattress and the sheets. Made me really wonder about the quality of housekeeping ...
I brought this to the attention of the manager, but he didn't recognize that it was a problem of cleanliness -- or safety! It was difficult to understand his English, but he gave me to understand that a convention was going to take place in Saginaw in a few days, so all he had available was a smoking room.
The carpet and the upholstery were filthy; I was afraid to set anything down on any surfaces. The hems were pulled out of the drapes. There were stains on the walls.

The price the manager quoted was quite steep -- much more than i had been paying for decent rooms on previous nights of the trip -- I suppose because of the shortage of rooms. I asked the manager for a discount, figuring that he wouldn't be able to rent that wretched room to any other poor sucker at that time of night, but he wouldn't budge.

The next morning, in the light of day, I discovered more evidence of decline. The whole property needed a coat of paint; the lawn needed mowing and weeds needed to be pulled.

On the plus side: there was a working refrigerator in the room, plus a microwave. The room rate included breakfast. Breakfast was nothing special, but it was evident that the manager and his wife were making a lot of effort to please their guests. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they're immigrants. Perhaps they don't really grasp American standards of neatness and cleanliness.

If I had the opportunity to do this experience over, I would definitely have kept driving, no matter how late it was. Or perhaps just slept in the car!

Room Tip: Choose a different motel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
GMKnightsInnMI, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Saginaw, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear ComradeCamper,

I apologize if our team have not met your exacting requirement and you were not able to avail of the discount you asked from the manager during your stay in Knights Inn. The rates were fixed and can no longer be adjusted.

We have made improvements in our hotel, though I appreciate your bringing to my attention your assessment of our room. I will make further evaluation so that we could maintain the best quality of accommodation for our guests.
Your comments will help us further improve our services as we are committed to achieve the best quality of service to provide our guests for giving us your business.

Thank you for staying in Knights Inn Saginaw.

There are newer reviews for Knights Inn Saginaw

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Older property that needs lots of work. Beds were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good. Did not like the fact that the rooms were separate from the main lobby and looked like there were people living in this property instead of beiing travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
GMKnightsInnMI, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Saginaw, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Miss Mary Kay,

Thank you for staying at Knights Inn.

We are glad that you had a comfortable stay in our hotel. Your review is important to us and we assure you that we will evaluate your comment and implement corrective measures accordingly so that you will be more comfortable on your next visit.

We appreciate your taking note of our friendly staff and our breakfast.
We hope to have another opportunity of providing your next accommodation in our hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Not the best neighborhood, but definately a good price. Nice employees, clean rooms. The doors seem kind of flimsy. That, along with the fact that the rooms are actually separate from the main area of the hotel made me feel a bit unsafe.

• Stayed: July 2013
GMKnightsInnMI, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Saginaw, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Dear dyaniyam,

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience in our Hotel.

We assure you that we give utmost importance to our guests’ comments and reviews. We hope you will give us another opportunity of providing your next accommodation requirement. We shall ensure you will find a room more comfortable for you to stay and would feel much safer on your next visit.

We hope you will give us another opportunity of providing you best value accommodation.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Staying for the 1 night, Checked in a lil early with out any issues, Staying in the Jacuzzi room. Worth the money! Clean room with a comfortable bed and Jacuzzi in the room along with a separate bathroom with a shower/tub ...Don't let the Motel appearance fool you, it is an older property motel, but it has all the basics for the price. Conveniently located to the shopping mall and restaurants...If you don't mind the older look to the motel, it is a great value for the price, not a pricey wallet gouging rate. Very quiet setting...Very Basic but the rooms have all the updated amenities...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DaniLynnWeddings
GMKnightsInnMI, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Saginaw, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Hello Danilynweddings,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and we glad that you had a comfortable stay. Your positive review motivates us to be dedicated in maintaining the best value accommodation our guests deserves for giving us your business. Your satisfaction is our guarantee that we have sufficed your needs.

We look forward to another opportunity of providing your next accommodation requirement in Knights Inn .

Reviewed 8 July 2013

For the area, the price was reasonable. The location seemed safe and nondescript (all the usual chains from Applebees to Starbucks to a mall within a mile). I would like it to be cleaner but I have seen a lot worse, this one just had a lot of dust in the corners which aggravated my allergies a bit. There was no shampoo in the room but the front desk was quick to provide some packets. A guest had a gigantic German Shepherd that was bigger than he was and we really didn't think he was going to be able to control it, so that made us feel less than safe. For a budget hotel, the bagel and cream cheese and coffee was acceptable. If we paid 40-50 dollars, it would have met my expectations. The bed was too soft/sagging to be comfortable. Staff was very friendly. This was close to the expressway and a good stopping point on the way to Michigan Upper Peninsula.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hello Miss,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay in Knights Inn.

Your reviews are important reference for us straight from our Guests to be able to further improve our services. I sincerely apologize if in any manner there were instances that have caused you discomfort. We assure you that these shall be properly evaluated and addressed as we give high priority to the quality of service our clients deserve.

We shall keep on improving our services to compliment the location of our Hotel that you enjoy. Thank you for finding our breakfast acceptable. We shall work on making them “tastier” so that you will also enjoy your breakfast the next time you and your family visit us.

We sincerely look forward to accommodating you and your family soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed one night here by myself and overall I'm satisfied. The room was a little dirty but for 55.00 I can't complain. I would stay here again someday. It's location is an added bonus being near I75.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear mjsteffl,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your concern. I assure you that this matter is going to be brought to high priority evaluation as we want to give our guests nothing less than great accommodation, sanitary, that you will be comfortable and enjoy staying. We believe that our Guests satisfaction is priceless.

We look forward for another opportunity of providing you our services in our Hotel soon.
Thank you very much for your business.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have to go to the VA Hospital several times a year. With the inflation occurring yesterday, today & tomorrow, gas prices biting us, we're having to find motels that don't wipe out a hundred bucks for a night.

Knight's Inn turned out to be the answer. For far less than the Big Chains charge, we had a clean, quiet room, comfortable beds & money in our pockets. It was right on Tittabawassee road, next door to an I-Hop & a block away from an Outback Steak House. Their breakfast was modest, but like I said... I Hop is right next door & I can have ANYTHING. Oh yes one other good deal, the gas station in front of it usually has the lowest gas prices in the area. This motel is also very well situated for shopping. Fashion Square Mall is two blocks away. Sam's Club is a mile or so away, just beyond the high dollar motels. There are any number of other stores & restaurants which makes it a good place to be. And for Antiquers... There's a great Antiques Mall a mile east of there on Tittabawassee over in Zilwaukee.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ground floor. We were on the end next to the non-pool. They used to use the pool...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Miss Kathleen,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Knights Inn.

We are pleased that you find our place a Best Value for your money spent. Moreover, thank you for sharing your experience with us it sure mean so much for us that we have successfully provided you a comfortable stay without putting a hole in your pocket.

Your positive review motivates our Team more to work even harder, to maintain the quality of services you deserve for giving us your business. I am grateful as well for bringing the “breakfast” to our attention. We shall properly evaluate this matter and will address immediately so that you will get to enjoy the entire services in our Hotel the next time you visit us.

We look forward to serving you breakfast soon.