“Worth a look”

Museum of Ojibwa Culture
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: At this National Historic Landmark, visitors can learn about 17th century St. Ignace: the Ojibwa who formed the population, the Huron refugees and the French who established the area as the center of fur trade. Check out our award winning Clan Park and our Longhouse on our grounds. Also visit Father Marquettes burial site in our Marquette Mission Park. Admission is by donation.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Worth a look”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I really liked the great visual time line history, not at all boring and very nicely displayed. Beautiful native crafts but most were too expensive for me though I'm sure they are worth every penny. They also had a walking tour that I wish we'd had time to enjoy.

Visited August 2013

leroy
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Extremely interesting Indian artifacts & history of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Highly recommend to all, especially those w/children.

Visited September 2013
Monroe, MI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Interesting place to visit!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

My 5 yr old and I stumbled upon this great little museum on a recent vacation. The attendant was awesome and shared so much about the museum and art work. My daughter is of Maya Indian heritage so she loved learning about native Americans. It's a great educational visit and must see. Loved the teepee!

Visited August 2013
Frederick
356 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 402 helpful votes
“Authentic Ojibwa Culture”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I happened upon this just driving by wanting something to do that wouldn't take long. The lady inside was friendly and explained some of the history of the building, formerly a church, and told me to go in and take my time. They don't chage admission but appreciate donations. It was well worth going in and wandering around. There is a very well done museum with interactive exhibits and many examples of real Native American crafts and culture, and animal pelts everywhere. There is also a shop with handmade jewelry, music, and small leather items for sale including dreamcatchers of every size. Outside this lovely area is a flower filled park with multitudes of colorful blooms and a full sized bark structure showing how the community shelters were built. The only thing that I can compare this exhibit to is the village in Jamestown VA. Both are excellent and educational.

Visited September 2013
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Informative and interesting”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a small museum, but it has a little something for everyone. It helped me understand patterns of settlement in this part of Michigan, interactions between several tribes, and Father Marquette's role in the area. The archaeological artifacts were especially intriguing.
The museum is free, and accepts donations. When I first arrived, there was a volunteer or staff member who was soliciting donations a little aggressively. I went through the museum in about 30-40 minutes, and was very pleased with the experience. When I left the museum, the pushy guy had disappeared.
The gift shop features all-Native items, but that is not to say they are all regional items. The gift shop sells books and products from Southwest tribes, Plains tribes, as well as Canadian native people.

Visited July 2013