“Relaxing getaway”
Review of The Cedars Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
The Cedars Motel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This visit was just as nice as the last time. Room was clean, comfortable and Kathy & Tim make you feel welcome. I met some really nice people (other customers) too! It was neat to talk to them by the bonfire.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Cedars Motel and were more than pleased! Kathy and Tim go out of their way to make you feel very welcome. Very clean and has a cozy cabin feel! It was our first time in the UP and they gave us so many hints on where to go!! They didn't hesitate to sit down with you and have a cup of coffee or sit by the nightly bonfire and just relax. I LOVE THIS PLACE! We forgot our jackets there and they shipped them to us! Great people, great place, great vacation! The ONLY place I will stay in the UP! Thanks Kathy and Tim!! We will see you again, very soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AHargis
Reviewed 21 October 2013

From far away, you don't know the hotels/motels in any area, and that is why TripAdvisor is so handy. Usually. "Ranked number 1 of 26" it says on this site. 57 reviews, no less.
The price wasn't bad, $49 I think, and the owners gave us coupons worth $10 each at the local Kewadin Casino. We would not have gone there without the coupons, however. So we won $13, and that knocked the price down some. And that was an "experience."
And yes, there is a campfire with supplies for S'mores. But to call this a 5 star motel makes one wonder who stayed here. Yes, the owners were nice. But...
1. It is a typical 1950s-1960s motorlodge. It probably has had new paint.
2. The floor in our room was uneven. I suspect termite damage.
3. The bathroom baseboard was peeling away and had been cleverly made of a thin baseboard that was meant to be glued directly to the wall instead glued to a spacer that held it a half-inch from the wall, with putty or caulk applied behind it.
4. The lack of electrical outlets was made up for by extension plugs enough to make any fire marshal shudder. But they did go to a small refrigerator in the room, and a microwave on top of it.
5. The shower had no light. Thank goodness the curtain was thin and let some light into the dinky area. No tub.
6. We went there on Sept 28th, 2013. While leaving the motel to get on the ferry, we drove by at least 10-15 hotels and motels, all in the same or cheaper price range, and all looking more modern. But they might not give out $10 coupons to the casino, and they aren't the closest one to it. This probably is. But if you want a lake view, or something closer to the ferries, go to Google earth and look along the street in downtown St. Ignace.... I snapped photos of some for future reference, and these included the K Royale, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Wayside Motel, Budget Host Inn, San-Bar Motel, and others. Among those I would bet on the Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn if you want what looks closest to a modern hotel. The rest look dated.
7. The walls were thin. Very thin.
8. The orange juice was turned to wine. Now granted, there was free cereal and the milk was fresh. And there were Danish buns in plastic. No fresh pancakes, no fresh waffles.
Where am I going with this? Well, I just have to say that I'd not rule out staying there again ever, but I'd know what I was going to get. Oh, and the cedar rooms? Ours was stuccoed over and painted. But I saw no bugs.
Why the title? The next night we stayed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. Both 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you want a real cedar room at the Cedars, you had better ask about that. I certify that I am not...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kurt H
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed two nights at The Cedars Motel and found it more than met our needs. We were in Room 5 and having the electric fireplace was a great bonus to take the chill off a cool night. Cathy who owns the motel with husband Tim was so pleasant and willing to answer questions. While the facility is older it is very clean.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicki1020
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed here one night on my way back from a visit to the Upper Peninsula. The people working the front desk were very nice and friendly and helpful. This is a small budget priced motel so you should not expect lots of amenities. The room was decent sized and very clean. The bed was a little hard but still comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the shower had good water pressure (always a plus). Really my only complaint was that the walls are quite thin and some noisy neighbors made it tough to fall asleep. The hotel is located relatively close to town but you will need to drive to get to most of the eateries or the ferry docks if you are heading to Mackinaw Island. Overall I had a decent experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank world_traveler1340
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had such a nice time at this motel. I looked on Trip Advisor to find someplace reasonable to stay overnight. This motel had great ratings and sounded like fun with a camp fire every night and they provide the stuff to make s'mores. It was wonderful. There were 7 of us in 3 rooms. The beds were pretty comfy and I did not hear anything from any other rooms. The owners were so friendly and fun. I would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: There are only 11 rooms in this motel. I know one room has a recliner if you need to sleep in one i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary Lee G
Reviewed 15 October 2013

With my wife and another couple from Germany, we made a fall foliage tour through the UP which included a stay in St. Ignace, visiting Mackinac Island. The Cedars was a perfect place for our two night stay. Tim and Kathy were great hosts, the rooms were small but comfortable, The rates were more than reasonable and even included a light breakfast. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends