“Don't do it!”

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Ubly
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

You may be enticed by the prices and the quaint look of this motel but look elsewhere. My husband and I stayed there during a very busy weekend. On Thursday evening at 10:15 p.m. after a very long day of traveling, my husband was already sleeping and there was a guy sitting in the chair directly outside my window visiting with another guy who happened to be the owner and they were talking really loud. I opened the door and asked if they "could keep it down". After closing the door, the owner came unglued and began to yell and curse at me. A few minutes later, he began pounding on my door. I finally opened the door and he told me that I lost my reservation and that I had to leave in the morning. He finally left but I was a bit frightened since there was no security chain or dead bolt and after all, he is the owner and has the key to the room. In about five minutes his wife came down and apologized and asked me not to leave. She assured me that he wouldn't bother me anymore. Needless to say, I didn't get too much sleep that night. We ended up staying simply because we had an obligation in town, had already paid, and could not find another vacancy in town. I will never stay there again and I urge others not to either. I completely believe "never again" and empathize with her experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jean1998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ixonia Wi
Reviewed 17 September 2012

the owners are unfreindly double charged for rooms had to get a credit and then that isn't right the beds are terrible i slept in my truck which was more comfortable then the beds no cleaning service or clean towels unless you go ang get them yourself. the owners both smelt of alcohol and very sleazy looking no heat in the rooms it got down to 36 degrees and we were told they don't turn the heat on to October never again would I waste my money here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TRUCK983

Travellers are raving about these Saint Ignace hotels

Dallas,Tx
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I have been staying at the Pines, annually, for over ten years and I can only assume that "never again" must have been staying at some other Motel. The rooms are scrupulously clean, the owners are extremely friendly and their "dogs" consist of ONE very friendly small collie. While it is not a large establishment, that is a virtue. After the second day you feel like a member of the "family". A very comfortable place to spend a few quiet, peaceful days.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gerald M
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 2 April 2012

my husband and I have stayed here about three times a year for about the last four years.the owners are very friendly. the rooms are very clean and rustic. the price is reasonable and the location is very convenient and close to the casino.i highly reccomend this motel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sally r
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have traveled numerous times to the Upper Penisula of Michigan and have been very happy with my accomodations at the Pines Motel. The rustic pine look of the rooms is very peaceful and relaxing for me. I have checked out a number of hotel rates in the area and The Pines has been the most "bang for your buck"! I have never had any problems with the staff of the motel or at the convenience store they own located adjacent to the motel. Everyone has been very friendly and accomodating during all of my stays and I look forward to paying another visit in the near future.

Room Tip: My personal preference is a room w/mini fridge, microwave & rocking chair
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ruth C
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The owners are drinking while running there business. There dogs are not are not friendly to other dogs, the male owner is even less friendly. He used very inappropriate language towards me when I asked him to get his dogs that were barking & growling while charging towards me. Myself& my toddler were terrified& immediately left. He refused to refund my money as well. The carpets were stained& dirty. Rooms were musty as well.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank heed74
michigan
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This place is very cute, on the outside. We stayed there because it always seemed like a cute, Mom and Pop place- and they accept pets. We opened the door and at first it seemed very northwoods like. After further inspection, the carpet was worn, dirty and overall- we did'nt let our small dog sleep on it. When we got out of the shower- which was equally disgusting with tiles falling off the wall and the caulking moldy- we put our shoes on before stepping off the bathmat, YUCK! We would have went elsewhere but we did not get there til the wee hours of the morning. After check out- we found much more delightful accomadations at a more reasonable price. Oh- the property is for sale, at a price of $315,000 ...it would cost another $100,000 to renovate this place. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple