“Poor service”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It is rare that I completely pan a restaurant for service, particularly in St. Ignace/Mackinac area where service tends sometimes to be a bit slow. You're on vacation - go with the flow. But this is the exception. We visited on a Saturday morning when the restaurant was less than half full. My husband ordered a fruit plate and toast and I ordered oatmeal. The fruit plate and oatmeal were not served at the same time. In fact, my husband was through eating before my meal arrived. And it took 30 minutes - for oatmeal! The staff seemed completely unconcerned about how long it was taking and was surprised when we complained.

The restaurant has a lovely view and a decent menu. We had heard good things and were thinking about trying it for dinner. But after this experience, we did not go back.

There are newer reviews for Hillside House Restaurant

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Prices are a little high. Food is ok. Don't get the homemade chips, not worth it. Good view out the front windows. Outside eating has a good view. Nothing special here.

1  Thank Bob0409
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Promptly seated and our server was prompt to visit our table. My wife and 5 year old son both order spaghetti - they were happy. I ordered chicken and it was a bit under par. Salad bar was good and very fresh. I felt the pricing was fair for the food and portions during the summer in Northern Michigan. Good views.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped here twice over the weekend. Once for dinner, Once for breakfast. Both times the service was great and food very good. I don't eat fish so there is nothing 'special' on the menu for me but I enjoyed what I had. My husband liked the fish and the owner is very pleasant and funny. This will definitely be a place we stop every time we come. Both times they were very happy to sit us outside, actually they seem to expect people to want to sit on the porch. Hard to believe some of these reviews unless it's people who frequent expensive, ritzy restaurants. But for us this is just perfect.

1  Thank Jodi R
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Visiting St. Ignace for the night and decided to stop in. Waited for 10 minutes to be seated and the restraunt wasnt even that crowded. Tried to order the whitefish, they ran out. My mom ordered smothered chicken, guess what? They were out of chicken! She ordered stir fry veggies without rice, and they still charged full price even though she didnt want half of the entree and the only reason she got it was because they ran out of everything else. I ordered a steak, only half of which was edible due to it being full of gristle! My father ordered the meatloaf which was burnt to a crisp on the outside as well. Not to mention we waited forever on the food and several people around us got up and left. Would never go back!

1  Thank Cns_2008