“Satisfactory, but very pricey”

Breakers Resort - Lakeside
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is a hotel in a tourist area. I was at the hotel in the peak of the season. The room, bed, and breakfast were ok. The Wifi was lousy. The hotel has no exercise room. My room fronted on the lake and the sound of breaking waves was pleasant. The breakfast was very crowded and the hotel had people on duty keeping up with the demand. It is just that for about $100 you should get usable Wifi.

There are newer reviews for Breakers Resort - Lakeside

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel is fine except for the fact that a non smoker like me thought I could sit out on the balcony of my expensive 4th floor smoke free room and enjoy the sunrise or just the view of the lake, however I was choked out by the cigarette smoke from the balcony below and could not even sit on my paid-for balcony. The front desk stated "I don't know what you want me to do for you" and "they are allowed to smoke on their balcony" and offered no sympathy or apology for my situation. I won't be recommending or staying at the St Ignace Comfort Inn again.

1  Thank fomocojo
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in early August 2013 in a two queen bed room on the first floor. I didn't even go to the first room they assigned as I discovered it was right next to the pool and the vending machine. Why assign anyone there if the hotel is not full? There is also tile with significant grout lines in front of about six rooms near the pool. Listening to people pulling suitcases on that tile would be terrible. The walls are thin, the hotel older and kept up only to passable standards. The place feels more like a budget inn than a Comfort Inn. I expect Comfort Inn to be mid-level and this place has a cheap budget feel. The breakfast was pretty bad with one waffle maker, packaged type muffins and rolls and round egg patties that may well have been powdered. The breakfast room is also up a small hill in the front desk building. If it is raining, it wouldn't be fun getting there. The room itself was mostly clean, but tired and well worn. I think the rates reflect the Comfort Inn name and not the quality of the stay.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very disappointed. Would never stay here again. First room was musty & switched to another. This room doesn't smell but the hotel needs some maintenance. Most rooms require using stairs. Door locks require slamming the door. Bathroom doorknob almost falling out. (I fixed it.) Ultra-thin doors, walls and ceilings means we're listening to every action in the rooms around us. Walking. Washing. Water running. Sneezing. Really. I can hear the neighbor sneeze. That's bad! We upgraded to a larger room and other than more floor space, the upgrade is not worth it. Fogged up door-wall with a broken lock doesn't allow a clear view of waterfront. Don't be fooled by the "beach". It's a bird park. Gulls and geese all over the place. I wouldn't walk out there on a dare.

Room Tip: My best advice? Stay somewhere else.
Reviewed 24 July 2013

nothing made it special, except the price....top floor worked well, extra stairs no problem...
Breakfast good...Good value...Wrong coffee provided for the pot, I improvised, and it worked!

girl at the desk, very nice...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Rented a 2 queen bed room July 11-15, they were average rooms, not modern. We did not accept the first floor room assigned to us, smelled moldy. Bed cover very dirty. Changed to a 2nd floor room. Employees were very helpful and courteous. Only a few rooms in the center of the building are on the same floor as the elevator. We always had to carry bags and cooler up and down stairs. This was a big negative factor for us. Great view of the water. Beach was small, bring your own chairs. Not designed for swimming. Watch where you step, goose droppings are everywhere. Next time I would not rent there if avoidable. Strictly good for short stay and make sure you get a room in the center on same floor as elevator. Big plus is it’s next door to Java Joe’s.

Room Tip: Strictly good for short stay and make sure you get a room in the center on same floor as elevator...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here one night while vacationing in the U.P. I was warmly welcomed by the front desk staff member (sans name tag) in the office near the street. I then drove down near the main hotel building, walked past the inviting indoor pool (which I didn't take advantage of) and took the elevator to my room. There are a few stairs to walk down if you have a room on the wings but this was no problem for me. I entered my room and found it clean, new and wonderful. I wish they had left the AC on, during this sweltering day but the view more than made up for it.

You should always request a beach view. Gazing out at Lake Huron from the fourth floor was truly relaxing. The room had a dorm size refrigerator that I didn't expect so that was nice. The bed was comfortable, the linens clean an new looking. I would have preferred a chair without arm rails, but I simply slid the table easily toward the bed and sat on it for all of my computer and internet travails. The older model AC eventually cooled the room and with the blackout curtains I easily slept in til 9:30 a.m.

After I awoke and swept back the curtains the bright sun filled the room and along with the view filled my soul. They literally are beach side, as about 20 yards from the exit is a 10 yard strip of sandy beach and beyond that the lapping shores of Lake Huron.

If you are vacationing in the U.P. or planning to go to Mackinac Island, this is definitely the hotel to stay with.

Room Tip: Request a lake view or you'll end up with a lovely view of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo