“Nice views, convenient”

Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Texas
“Nice views, convenient”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Normally we stay on Mackinac Island, but this was a last minute decision and when we weren't able to book our favorite hotel on the island, we decided to stay in St. Ignace and day trip to the island. We had a very pleasant stay and had no complaints about the room. Our room had recently been renovated and was clean and comfortable. We didn't try the pool so cannot comment on it, although it seemed very well used by families. There is a nice beach area and it is well maintained. We did find the hallways a bit dirty. While I know it can be difficult to keep them clean when the hotel is full with lots of families traipsing in and out, this is an area the hotel could spend a bit more attention to.

We had a ground level room, which was very pleasant as it opened to a wide open lawn that fronted the beach and lake. One item that is confusing. We paid a few dollars more for a lake view as opposed to a "court" side. This seems a bit misleading. The best we could tell, all of the rooms overlook the lake. The hotel is comprised of three wings. The center one faces the lake directly. The other two flank the first at a slight angle. However, the reality is all of the rooms have a lovely view of the lake.

The hotel is within walking distance of St. Ignace and restaurants. Wifi was free and worked just fine.

For a last minute weekend, this fit our needs just fine. Nothing fancy, but a clean and reasonably priced option, particularly for families.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for lakefront.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel! I was a little concerned over some of the reviews, but it exceeded what I expected. The beds were clean and comfortable and everything else was sufficient. Could use a good detailed cleaning. Toilet had some issues, but we were able together it straightened out fairly quickly. One small complaint. Though it was great to have the luggage carts, after taking the elevator to our floor, our room was still down a small flight of stairs. Had to take our luggage down them piece by piece. The view is the best part! It is spectacular! I will try to post some pics. Also, the breakfast was decent even though it was busy. We would stay again!

• Stayed August 2014
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for a few days last week, and I wish I hadn't.
Why would you put a family above someone who didn't bring kids? called about the noise a few times, and nothing was done. No in room phones, internet was the worst. Room was not very clean especially in the corners and behind stuff. Overall I was not even close to being impressed, and its pretty clear to me, they just don't give a damn.

I am a travel agent, and I will never, ever book a client here, EVER!!

Room Tip: Don't get the bottom floor as you will surely be kept up by jumping and running bratty kids.

Travellers are raving about these Saint Ignace hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Overall I was quite impressed with this hotel and will likely stay here again. The hotel staff were friendly and the beds were comfortable. I also loved having the Lakeside view. The hotel is also conveniently located just north (but within walking distance) of the hubbub of the waterfront business distract.

The reasons I gave this venue four rather than five stars:
1. The hotel uses styrofoam everything at breakfast. This is a major detractor in my book. It makes me somewhat ill thinking of all of the chemicals consumed by hotel guests as well as the waste produced every single day.
2. Our room was not quiet. Guests above sounded like elephants up until 11:30 pm and again starting at 5:30 am.
3. The waterfront area is covered in goose poo, which detracts from its appeal for an evening stroll.

Room Tip: It is worth springing the extra money to get a room facing the water rather than the parking lot.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I stayed here recently. The view is nice and the rooms are clean, however management and the owner are awful! The owner is a lawyer, author, and hotel owner, so good luck if you have any issues because he is "too busy" to deal with it. The pool area is very dangerous. While we were there, many occurrences of slips and falls happened. My son fell as well, one lady fell and hit her head and 911 had to come, another boy was hospitalized. We called the front desk to ask them to mop up the pool area but the manager refused and said that there was a sign to use caution so they did not have to do anything. I actually went and video taped the area. While I was doing so, 3 people slipped! He was extremely rude and abusive. If you read reviews on other sites, many others had the same issue. I have filed with the Chamber of Commerce, the BBB. This owner and manager are also affiliated with the Holiday Inn next door. I would not recommend either. One more thing, beware if you shower there. The temps are not regulated.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Corey W
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean but very basic, mini-mini fridge and no microwave. Breakfast was hot and stocked but there enough chairs or seating. The shower went from warm to cold to extremely hot. The pool deck was extremely slippery, I'm not sure how it ever passed an inspection. I saw several kids fall and a woman fall and hit the back of her head. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Very spotty wi-fi, it went in and out during our entire stay. I think I would try another hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Livonia MI
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Found old food in the fridge, lights burnt out and missing in bathroom. Also, no extra toilet paper and no facial tissues. Kitchenette has only spoons, no other cutlery.
Next day, returned to find that housekeeping left our used coffee cups on night table, did not empty trash containers or replenish the coffee.

• Stayed August 2014