“They tried.”

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Ovid, Michigan
“They tried.”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Ok, I realized that when I called the last minute on a Thursday, for a next day arrival on Friday, I was taking some risks. We got there on late afternoon and checked in. Everyone at the desk was friendly and helpful. What I liked... was the staff. Although at times they were limited, they worked hard to please and they did for us three times. Twice to help the get Direct TV on and once to move us to another room as the first room had an overwhelming musty order. It was done quickly and with a smile. What I didn't like...was the lack of detail by management. Carpet in our first room was loose and bunched up. Wallpaper was coming loose in bathroom and in room itself. I noticed the parking lot was freshly coated but the buildings need fresh paint as they were peeling and fading. The carpeting on outdoor stairways to the second floor were raveling apart. Besides not looking good, someone could trip and get hurt. Now the breakfast. If your going to use this as a feature draw, better back it up. I sat and watched only one staff member rush back and forth and continue to fill the hot food as well as the cold drinks as people stood in line. She could hardly keep up. Some were patient and some were not. There is some need for better preparation and help here. I also notice no one at front desk at that time. So i assume she was doing double duty. Details. Windows in breakfast room needed cleaning as well as some sprucing up. There's more than just depending on a flat screen TV. I use tripadvisor a lot and wont give you guys a second look next time. You have too much competition.

Room Tip: Good location off the expressway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CFHazard
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
We are pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, this is our main goal with every guest: Friendly and helpful service. Your concern of limiting staffing for breakfast that particular morning was do to being short staffed for a day and the issue has been resolved. The property is currently being revived and refreshed after being closed for a few years, and the paint on the buildings is next on our list of property Improvements. Guest areas are, of course clean and in good repair. Thank you for being our guest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I took the kids (9 and 7) on a 9-day trip around the Great Lakes. We spent a lot of time researching places to stay in the Mackinac area. You'll have no problem finding accommodations where you can dump a bunch of money. Luckily, this place isn't one of those. I'm fairly finicky about hotel rooms, especially when the kids are along. I was a bit nervous with the low price, but we were super pleased with this gem! Rooms were clean, inviting, and roomy. Ours had a balcony with a partial lake view. The hotel staff were welcoming, friendly, professional and very helpful with suggestions and directions. The location was just fine, too. It's right across the street from the on-ramp for the Mackinac Bridge, and the ferries are a short drive away. No need to worry about parking -- there's plenty at the ferry docks.

Add in free WiFi and a hearty breakfast, and we were happy as clams.

Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about the Cedar Hill Lodge!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank roadlesstraveled76
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for being our guest during your most recent visit to the St. Ignace area. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its our goal at Cedar Hill Lodge to provide every guest with a warm and memorable stay, while they see the beautiful Straits Area. We are glad to hear that you were able to find lots to do while you were in town, the front desk staff is always willing to provide friendly advice on what to check out during your stay. We hope to see your family again really soon! Thank you!
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed three nights at the lodge. We stayed in a pet friendly suite in the Spruce building. The new owners are wonderful! They go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need. The entire staff is very friendly and helpful. The lobby in the lodge is welcoming with comfy furniture and a large TV. I loved the 'up north' decor. The breakfast room was large and they serve much more than the typical continental breakfast. The indoor pool is open until 10pm every night. The pool area was clean with a depth of 3ft to 5ft. Clean pool towels are available. The hot tub was under construction but it looks like it will be very nice when finished. We enjoyed playing volleyball on the front lawn as well as tether ball. There is a nice patio area with a couple picnic tables. We bought some subs from Subway and enjoyed a quick dinner on the patio. The view of the water is amazing! We loved being minutes from downtown. Traveling with family and pets, we appreciated the grocery store across the street. They are in the process of updating the rooms. I can't wait to return next year (yes, we already made our reservation) and see what they have done. This is a perfect place for families. I felt as if we visited a resort. From the little things (stringing white lights on the trees) to the big things (new mattresses and flat screen TV's), I know this will be the best place to stay when traveling up north.

• Stayed August 2013
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I am not generally pleased about staying anywhere and don't do reviews except absolutely terrible places.....I like 100 bucks or less and a fairly decent hotel no matter what, even at tourist time....So, After two nights in another hotel (not great) we ended up looking for a different hotel since we were still going to stay around Mackinaw. So this was a search and find on a Saturday night. Lots of hotels/motels so didn't worry...too much. This was one of the first hotels right after the bridge. It was our 3 or 4th stop to check for vacancy/rates. Couldn't believe it. New owners I believe. First impression was really good. Very nice staff-especially the two I encountered most, nice pool area with a hot tub that was being re-done (looks like it will be very nice), clean rooms, large yard where volley ball court, shuffle board are, an OK view of the lake (nice sun rise), better than average breakfast, large parking spots etc. My wife, girls and I are still happy that we found/stayed at this place and will think of it first the next time. We'd recommend it to anyone. Hope they do well. Oh, I even forgot something important there and they found/held it for me till I came back

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Prowl66
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for being our guest during your visit to the beautiful St. Ignace area. All of us here at Cedar Hill Lodge are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. A clean and comfortable room, warm and friendly staff, and a good breakfast are what we strive to give every guest. There are a lot of things to do and see in the area and you cant see it all in one trip, so come back soon, we look forward to being your host again. Thank you!
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have stayed here several times and each stay has proved to go above and beyond my expectations. The staff is friendly, the rooms are very very nice and the location is extremely desirable. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the St. Ignace, MI area!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My family and I stayed at thr Cedar hill Lodge last weekend and it was great. I stay in alot of hotels for work and this was one of my most comfortable stays.Treated me and my family well I would recommend the hotel to anyone, going to be back in St Ignace labor day weekend and won't be staying anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you so much for being our guest. We are very happy to hear that you and your family had a nice stay, as your host we are always trying to keep true to being " Your Family Place Up North." We hope to see you again on Labor day weekend. Thank you!
Belding, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2013

yes we stayed at cedar hill lodge for 4 days. arrived day after they opened. a warm welcome and friendly faces we woke up to. the room was awesome with a great view. seen first hand how they accommodated all their guests, even if it was the littlest request. always with kindness and a smile. there is restaurant in walking distance as well a grocery store. so as you cross the bridge take first exit and you will see the sign bright and welcoming as the owners are. I would recommend staying here if you would like the family experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cindy0203
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Warm and friendly service for all of our guests is priority one for all the staff at Cedar Hill Lodge. We look forward to having you as our guest again really soon. Thank you!