“pleasant stay at an inn being revamped by new management” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cedar Hill Lodge

Cedar Hill Lodge
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Eagle Harbor, Michigan
“pleasant stay at an inn being revamped by new management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Location and access are good: it is between I75 at the first exit north of the Mackinac Bridge and the downtown/waterfront area where the Mackinac Island ferries are located. The lodge is clean and in good shape (we had no issue with damage or stains in our room). We especially liked (and used) the pool/spa area and the feel of the lobby and adjacent breakfast area, which was quite large. Most of the exteriors of the buildings appeared to be recently repainted or restained, and there was other evidences that the new management is modernizing the facility, like a flat screen TV in the room. The breakfast was OK: nothing great, but better than fast food would have been. The bed was extremely firm, as another review notes, which bothered my wife but not me. There were other odds and ends that one could criticize, like the cable TV being down the two nights we were there, and the shower curtain being maybe 8" too long, but I left with the sense that the new management is moving in the right direction and that I'd give it a score of 4 rather than 3 in another year or so.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thanks for noticing our ongoing improvements and our brand new TVs in all guest rooms. We're glad you find the location convenient, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Duluth, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

In my past stays in St. Ignace, I have stayed at the major chain hotels there. However, as I was only spending the night I was having a hard time justifying their costs so I looked at my options at Trip Advisor. I chose Cedar Hill Lodge based on the ratings and I was not disappointed. The price was significantly below the chains. While this was not quite as updated or fancy as other properties in the area, it was well maintained, clean, and more than adequate for my needs. The bed was acceptable, it had a nice flat screen TV, and where I was I could park in front of the door. Since I had things I didn't want to leave in the car overnight, this was great. The room was a bit small but I chose the single bed room so I got what I expected. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the location very easy to access and close to anything I wanted to see. There was a breakfast but I departed before they started serving so I cannot comment on it. Positive: price, cleanliness, furnishings, location. Negative: nothing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thanks for the compliments on our clean rooms and our friendly staff! We look forward to seeing you next time.
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our first night in St Ignace we stayed at Best Western....very snobbish people. Even the guests in the room next to ours were snobbish and if you get a room overlooking the water....good luck...freaking birds everywhere and a lot of poop! So, the next day we checked out, drove down the road and found Cedar Hill Lodge. As soon as we walked into the Office, it was that "first impression" from the Management and staff that sold us. We stayed at the Spruce. The room was very clean; the breakfast consisted of hot food for a change; ALL the staff could not do enough for you. Our room did not have a refrigerator in it and Audi (hope I spelled his name correctly), one of the staff members, literally carried a refrigerator and microwave to our room. Even the other guests who were staying there were very friendly. EVERYONE seemed very happy and relaxed. "Cedar Hill Lodge was definitely "home away from home". AND, the room did not cost an arm and 2 legs as was the case at Best Western! For all my future visits to St Ignace, I will not stay anywhere but Cedar Hill Lodge. I highly recommend Cedar Hill Lodge to EVERYONE!
Veronica roni2554@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Veronica N
Leroy, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I read pretty good reviews so I went ahead and booked an overnight here. Let me start with the good things. It's in a pretty good location just off the interstate a little ways, so it's very easy to find. It's not in the downtown area of St. Ignace so you are away from the hustle and bustle. They have a nice fire pit (although it was not used/lit the night we were there which I found strange as it was a gorgeous cool night) Nice patio area. Nice lobby that is very welcoming. Decent breakfast. Friendly staff. Did not check out the pool area as we didn't have time, but you do have to walk outside to get to the indoor pool. Depending where you are this could be a bit of a walk. The place is set up in sections named after trees. We stayed in the "Cedars". This is where things go down hill. Needless to say the room was run down. Stains on the walls, carpet is older, one old cheap picture hanging on the wall. Uncomfortable chairs and small table. Bath Sink was bright yellow counter-top that matched nothing in the room and pretty small. Very small bathroom. I did not shower there as the people with me did and were both scorched by hot water and freezing water as they showered. Guessing this is due to people flushing the toilet in the next room over. A couple good things, the room was clean considering animals are apparently allowed to stay in these rooms. (We had dogs all around us, and the one next door barked quite a bit) No bad smell in the room. The bedding was decent and clean. The pillows were cheap and had no support at all. The beds were the worst beds we've ever slept in. HARD AS A ROCK. If I had booked 2 nights here, I would have moved to another hotel for sure. Basically this place needs some updating. If they update, it would be a nice place to stay over all, but at this point it's not my suggestion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank midwestgirl75
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We're glad you liked our welcoming lobby, our breakfast, and our friendly staff. Thanks for mentioning our clean guest rooms. We are sorry yours was not more to your liking. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts.
London, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

A larger/older establishment that must be under new management/ownership. Staff could not do enough to cater to us, extremely helpful! The room was outstandingly clean, and appears to have been updated recently.
Breakfast was a pleasant surprise of hot items!
Wireless signal was strong,,, too bad it did not connect to the internet. Staff were able to get us connected through another server, thanks.
A clock of some kind in the room would have been a nice touch ;)
Restauraunt across the road was very worth the walk.
All in all, a great stop over in Sty. Ignace !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vaughn B
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for pointing out our helpful staff and our outstandingly clean rooms -- we take pride in both! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the suggestions, and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Howell, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Drove over400 miles our yearly family
family vacation. made it two days at the camp sight. it rained both days, and we were getting gamers by the mosquitos. came into town to find a room only to find out it was the weekend of the car show. not only did they work there magic and get us in a room but they found us another room at another motel for the next night, then they had a cancellation and worked us into the cancellation shot. Awesome accommodations, great service, very friendly and efficient staff. indoor pool and spa. This place rocks. thanks for the great memories..
God bless,
Mike

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank thankgul1
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We are thrilled to know that your family had a fabulous stay! Thanks for recognizing our friendly staff. We appreciate that. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Saint Ignace, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in April 2014 the outside was kept up. Terrific View. Very Comfortable Mattresses. Great Hot Breakfast. Friendly Staff. Pool was excellent. Very warm which isn't the norm. I really like that.

Room Tip: all rooms have great views