“DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My family of 4 stayed here the weekend of the Youth Pond Hockey Tournament in a double queen room. Everything about this place was terrible! I made reservations weeks in advance and I was advised that it was a two night minimum the weekend of the Pond Hockey Tournament, which seems a little ridiculous...but I didn't really have another choice so I went ahead and booked a room for two nights. Upon checking in to the hotel on Friday I was informed that they had already charged my credit card for $143 when I first booked our reservations...I'll add that when I reserved the room they did not inform me they were going to charge my card immediately. On another note, this was my first time staying at this hotel so I assumed for $143/night the rooms would be immaculate, boy was I ever WRONG! When we made it to our room, I couldn't believe that I paid almost $300 for a two nights stay in a incredibly outdated room with an uncomfortable bed. The room was rather "run down", the beds were very very uncomfortable, the coffee maker had old coffee grounds in it from the previous guest, the tv was old and small, about 15 of the "cable" channels worked and the reception was awful, in addition, the rooms didn't offer a "dirty clothes" bag like most other hotels.
After all of this, the next morning I was expecting the breakfast to be somewhat acceptable, but I was WRONG again. The "continental" breakfast was a joke! The options were cold cereal, oatmeal, mini bagels, frozen waffles, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, yogurt and bananas that were so brown I wouldn't even consider using them for banana bread. The tables were so small that you were lucky if two people could fit at one table.
Our first game on Saturday was early so when we arrived back to our room the housekeepers hadn't been to our room to restock any of our toiletries. I managed to track down a housekeeper and asked if it was possible for our room to be vaccumed, as we had tracked hay from the locker rooms at the tournament back to our room. The housekeeper, said yes it is possible, if you do it yourself and proceeded to hand me the vacuum cleaner...and then said "just kidding". I CAN take a joke but excuse me, I'm a paying customer and the "joke" was a bit harsh considering I pay you to clean my room.
We had two games Sunday and were thinking of asking if we could stay a little later than the check out time but we honestly couldn't wait to leave this hotel.
I would not recommend staying here. I've stayed at better hotels for cheaper.

The only good thing about this hotel was the pool, it was heated!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank E P
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

I apologize that your stay wasn't what you were hoping for. Our cozy inn is a great place to getaway and enjoy the sights and sounds of St. Ignace. Given that, we do have to price accordingly based off our services and our location. I'm sorry to hear that there was a miscommunication about the deposit. It's a policy that we have to ensure reservations are being fulfilled, which is especially important on the busy hockey tournament weekend.

Also, we like to treat our guests like family. I'm sorry to hear that one of our teammates offended you. I can assure you that this was not her intention. Above all, we want our guests to feel take care of. I sincerely apologize that we missed the opportunity to fix this before you left. I hope you enjoyed the tournament and spending time on Lake Huron.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

A group that I was with had set aside a block of room for a hockey tournament. It just so happened that the night that we were to arrive, the Mackinac Bridge closed for several hours due to wind/visibility issues. There were several of us that waited it out on got across the bridge at 9:00PM. It was quite a shock to me to learn that my room was sold and I had to be placed in another room for the night, and informed that I would have to move the next day because someone else was to be in that room Saturday night. I even called the hotel at 7:15PM the night we were to arrive and informed them that we would be there as soon as the bridge opened, I was told by the hotel staff that they would be holding my room for me when I arrived. Obviously not the case!
Being tired, I took the room and went to bed. I went to the front desk to express my frustration with the situation they had placed me in, being I had several bags to account for and had games starting at 10AM Saturday, and had no desire to haul all my bags around all day. According to the front desk staff, upon hearing the bridge had closed temporarily, the person that blocked off the rooms called the hotel and told them that the group wasn't going to make it that evening. In hearing this the hotel decided to start selling our rooms to other "stranded" motorists. As stated before, several of us did in fact make it there. Each individual had taken care of the payments for their respective room when they were reserved, and we were all charged one nights stay a month before we were to arrive. The hotel did not call to ask if it was OK to sell reserved rooms. The hotel screwed this up big time. A cancellation/change is only to happen when you speak with the person paying the bill! Number one rule of business!
We returned to the hotel after our games were completed on Saturday, and were given our "correct" room. Directly under the breakfast room. Apparently when the breakfast room was renovated, no one thought to insulate/sound proof the ceiling of the room below it, or the floor of the breakfast room itself. There was a group using the "breakfast" room until midnight, and all I heard up till then was laughing, talking, chairs scooting across the room, and people walking around. I was finally able to fall asleep at 12:30, no thanks to the horrible beds, only to be awoken at 6:30AM by the noises in the room above.
On Sunday, I went to the front desk to ask them if we could have a late check out due to our game not being until 1:00. I was informed that noon was the latest I could stay (I could work with that). Upon telling them what room I was in, they told me that our coach had a room set aside until 2, and that my room extension was void. As many of you may know the St. Ignace area is not full of tourists this time of year especially on a Monday, so I'm not sure why one more late check out would have mattered.
All of this confirms my thoughts from the beginning: This hotel is not concerned about their customers, only how quickly they can collect your money and get you out of there.
Other room complaints/concerns:
Friday night: Safety latch on sliding glass door was broken/missing. Beds were way too springy, if you sat down too hard you could bounce right off.
Saturday night: I has to physically lift the door 1/8th inch just to be able to engage the deadbolt. Beds were just as bad as the previous room.
I would not recommend to hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam W
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

I would like to respectfully disagree that we “don't care about our guests”. On the contrary. As you know, the weekend that you stayed with us was our annual Youth Pond Hockey Championship. Every year we typically sell-out far in advance. Due to the large number of last minute cancellations that our difficult to resell we require a first night prepayment and no cancellation allowed approximately three weeks prior to arrival. Therefore, even though the bridge was closed for the entire day (11AM-9PM) and we had know way of knowing when it would reopen our rooms were prepaid. As this bridge closure dragged on and our guests were stuck on the other side many began calling us to tell us they were postponing arrival until the following day. They were informed that if we could rent the room we would refund their deposit. Keep in mind that many, many motorists were stranded on the North side of the bridge with no rooms available anywhere. If we could rent the rooms to these people we were helping them as well as the prepaid guests who were tired and stranded on the south side of the bridge. If we could not sell the prepaid rooms the guests were not refunded but had rooms available immediately upon arrival. The guests that received refunds for Friday were very grateful. In the case of your group the situation for us became much more complicated. We received a phone call from the coordinator of your group, informing us that the entire group was canceling. This person was the one who originally made the group reservation and was our contact person through the reservation process. Why would we not believe him? After his phone call we began renting to the stranded motorists on the north end of the bridge with the intention of refunding deposits to the members of your group. Unfortunately, the leader of your group misinformed us about the entire groups decision to cancel. I fail to see how that is our fault. If we did not care we could have sat on every empty prepaid room, not refunded any deposits and not have tried to assist stranded motorists in a severe blizzard. I commend my staff for the extra effort they put forth that night.

Because this was a youth pond hockey tournament comprised of families with small children this storm was especially difficult. I don't blame exhausted parents for seeking lodging on the south side of the bridge. I can only imagine what it would be like to sit in a car for hours, during a storm with no place to go. When families did arrive children were excited and ready to burn some pent up energy. I am certain that our building was much noisier than usual. We allowed the kids to be kids until quiet time before attempting to get them under control.

Our beds were purchased from Capital Bedding in Lansing, Michigan. Overall I believe they are of high quality and our guests are satisfied. Everyone has a little bit of a different taste in mattresses. I am sorry that you were not happy with them.

I believe that granting each group a complimentary room until 2PM for the purpose of storing luggage and freshening up was a demonstration of accommodating our guests. Our check-out time is 11AM but everyone that asked was granted a noon check-out with no extra charge.

We take pride in running an independent family hotel where our guest satisfaction is paramount. I believe a perusal of our past customer reviews will bear the facts that my staff and I have and will often exceed a guests expectations for service. Thank you for allowing me a chance to respond to your critique.

Best,

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed the weekend the Mackinac Bridge closed. Found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the room to be clean and welcoming, and the breakfast to be fresh and satisfying. Very thankful for the wonderful place to stay! Thanks Holly, Howie and staff!!!

Room Tip: Our room had two doubles and a little side room with a single which would be GREAT for a family trav...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

It's great to hear from you, Laura! Thank you for sharing your kind review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope you had a wonderful getaway to St. Ignace! We'd love to welcome you back in the next time you stay in the area.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here for a little getaway. Good rates, clean hotel, room was very clean (cleaned by Alice), no animals allowed, really nice pool, and great guest services (Todd). Stay here in the off season for a quiet getaway. Stay here if you don't want to stay where hotels allow pets; I have really bad allergies and asthma (I didn't have any problems). Stay here, the kids will love the pool and the adults the whirlpools. The only thing I didn't like was the chair in the room (just old and worn out, the room doesn't even need it because there are two chairs at a little table in the room. I also thought the bed mattress was a little too hard but I just prefer a softer mattress. Overall the hotel was very good and I plan on taking my family back. We just really liked that no pets are allowed, very clean room and great pool for the kids. Thanks Todd for great service!

Room Tip: Tell guest services what you're looking for and they give you the best availability.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hi, Alice! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your getaway. It sounds like our team took great care of you, which is wonderful. I'll be sure to let Todd and Alice know! I'm sorry to hear that the chair in your room seemed to be worn out, though. We like to leave extra seating space in the rooms to accommodate groups of friends and family, but thanks for letting us know your thoughts. That said, I'm glad that the whirlpool and no pets made up for it! I can imagine that traveling with allergies would be difficult, so I'm happy to hear we could help. We'd love welcome you and your family back in the next time you're in need of a weekend away!

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

The pros: Given the fact that we came during the "off season" and didn't book in advance, the room was nice & priced decently (<$100). The room was located on the first floor & had access to the beach, a plus. It was cozy and clean. Convenient to the town & free shuttle to the ferries. They give you a small allowance for the casino, though we didn't use it. The pool is large & the hot tub was nice. Didn't use the sauna, but it was available. The staff was very nice & helpful. Lots of places offered free delivery which was great since we got in late & didn't want to drive someplace to eat.
The cons: The cable t.v. is pitiful, we're used to satellite and at least a channel to see what's on. There were 99 channels but only about 30 actually worked. The breakfast was a shame too. Coffee was weak, the B&G were plain & I had to wait for the kids to stop playing with the microwave to heat up the instant oatmeal. The seating isn't favorable for families or groups of 3+.
But all in all, I give it a 3/5 stars. Clean & quiet outweighs the poor cable t.v. & pitiful breakfast.
It's highly recommended to visit between the months of May-October otherwise you'll spend most of your time in your room because there's not much to do, since almost everything is closed. Especially the island; it was a waste of my $50 ferry ride to walk around a ghost town for an hour.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Tess, thanks for making us part of your vacation to St. Ignace! It's great that you found our place so cozy and clean, but I'm sorry to hear that there were a couple parts of your trip that you found lacking. Since there are so many great places to visit and explore in the area, we don't hear many comments about our cable. The channels should be working, so this is something to look into and speak with the cable provider about. I'm sorry that you found this to be inconvenient. We're always looking for ways to improve your stay, so thanks for letting us know that your breakfast could have better, too. Making sure that you have a great start to your day is important, so we will take this into consideration. I hope that during your next visit you have a chance to come during the warmer months, so you can fully enjoy what the area has to offer, such as the beach and beautiful scenes around the U.P.!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here on our way to Ontonagon and on our way back. This was a perfect spot, clean and friendly with a view of Lake Huron that was spectacular from the deck off the room! Rosie, a black Labrador greeted us and made us feel very much at home, she even shakes and gives high fives! Thank you Rosie! We will be back, the breakfast made it easy to get back on the road.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thanks for the kudos! Glad to hear that you enjoyed your room as well as the wonderful view of Lake Huron. I'll be sure to pet Rosie for the both of you and we can't wait to have you back!

Best,

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We only planned to stay one night, but we were so comfy we stayed for two. The room was very clean with a view that can't be beat! Continental breakfast had so many choices it was just as good as going to a restaurant. All the staff we encountered were super helpful and friendly, although Rosie the black lab was our favorite. Only suggestion to future guests is to bring some earplugs, walls are a little thin. We will absolutely return here!

Stayed: November 2013
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

You are so nice to write us this glowing review! While we certainly appreciate your kind words, your extended stay is the greatest compliment you could ever give us. We're thrilled you decided to stay a while longer and felt right at home with us. I think I can speak for our entire staff (Rosie included), when I say that it was our absolute pleasure to host you. We'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're in the area!