“Exceeded my expectation”

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Exceeded my expectation”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our family vacation was planned in January so we had 7 months of anticipation. We planned to stay 3 nights in St. Ignace then drive to Sault Ste Marie, Canada for 3 nights. My wife and 2 boys drove the mini van and I rode my Goldwing. My wife and boys arrived at Bavarian Haus before me and got us checked in. When I arrived I found the room to be spacious for a 2 queen room. It was clean, the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom area was good sized as well. The hotel itself seemed to be generally well maintained. We had a balcony room on the third floor with a nice view of Lake Huron. The lakefront yard had areas for sitting and enjoying the lake breezes and games of Frisbee golf and bean bag toss which lead to tournaments! The swimming pool was a nice size and the boys spent hours playing there. The breakfasts were adequate and consisted of sausage patties, hard boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese which we made into "McEggle Bagels". There was also English muffins, PG & J, apple juice and orange juice, cereal, Danishes and some fruit. The nicest thing for me was that when I went to my bike in the morning I found a towel on my seat to wipe off the dew that had settled over night. That's royal service that puts Bavarian Haus on my list of hotels to return to.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view choose a 3rd floor room. If you have kids that need to run take a fi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Sounds like you guys had one fun family vacation! Thanks for taking the time to share your great details with us. Waking up to those beautiful lake views is the perfect way to start your day, right? It's wonderful that you took advantage of all the fun to be had by the water. We hope to see you next summer for another relaxing getaway!

Howard Cole, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had booked a room at America's Best Value Inn through Orbitz.com the day before our trip. When I arrived there, our reservation could not be found, and I got a bit worried. Apparently the Bavarian is a partner of America's Best, and so the receptionist called over. Seconds later, she informed me that our room had been upgraded to a Lake View room with the Bavarian across the street due to overbooking.

While slightly outdated in decor as well as the building itself, the room itself was clean and fresh, and the view was beautiful. We had everything we needed, and while it is supposed to be their busiest time of the season, the hotel was not noisy at all. We had a wonderful hot breakfast with various options the next morning, and also enjoyed the nice, warm heated pool.

The staff was pleasant and offered great suggestions for food at dinner time. Overall, our stay was relaxing and fun.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, Raquel! You can't beat waking up each morning to those beautiful lake views, right? It sounds like you had a blast taking in the sights and sounds of Lake Huron. The next time you make the trip to our area, we'd love to have you back in!

Port Washington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had such a pleasant stay. The staff was very welcoming when we arrived and helpful as to where to dine, things going on in the area and such. The room was huge and extremely clean. (Thanks Susan) The free breakfast bar had such a variety, you didn't have to eat the same thing twice. Our balcony with a beautiful view was so relaxing. We were able to watch local fireworks from the parking lot and avoid downtown traffic congestion. What a treat! We will definitely be back. The only other comment I would make is to inconsiderate adults who apparently can't read. The notice not to feed the seagulls is there for a reason. If people would heed the request, it would make everyone's stay more pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chipncheek
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
It's fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us! We always want our guests to have a truly memorable experience, and it sounds like from our friendly service to the incredible fireworks, your visit was top notch. Thanks for sharing your experience with us here, and we hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!

All the best,
Macomb
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights in a walkout suite. My boys loved it! Breakfast buffet was wonderful as well. The front desk staff was super friendly and gave us great ideas on local attractions. The manager Jason was a great guy and very helpful. Great location, great price, great people! I highly recommend the Bavarian Haus.

Stayed July 2014
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review, Wendy! So glad you and your boys enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the recommendation and hope that you'll stay with us again in the future!

Best,
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice, big rooms. Great price. Loved the balcony and the amazing view of the lake and island. Pool area nice with 2 hot tubs and sauna. Small breakfast area. Desk staff very nice amd helpful. We would definitely stayhere again!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank snoopnsteph
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thanks for your glowing recommendation! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You can't beat waking up each morning to those beautiful lake views, right? We'll see you next time you're in the area!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had stayed in St. Ignace a few years ago at the Best Western. Very unfortunately, I couldn't remember its name so we booked here. It was a big disappointment. To say the least, we wish we had not stayed at the Bavarian.

The room was terribly worn down. Decor was awful--very tacky. We couldn't use the 'balcony' since there were tons of mosquitoes and seagulls. There was even a note on the table by the sliding glass door urging guests to NOT open the door due to those creatures. Yikes--and this was summer?! The view of Lake Michigan and Mackinac Island was lovely but to not be able to sit outside was useless.

The bathroom was tiny and the sink/mirror was outside it in the main room.

We would not recommend this hotel and are stunned at the number of good reviews. The woman who checked us in was very helpful and friendly. That is one of the few positives about this hotel.

Next time it's the Best Western for us!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wegothere
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I'm surprised and disappointed to see your review. As a small business, we'll go above and beyond to make sure that you love your stay. It's unfortunate that we didn't get a chance to chat about a few of these issues before you left -- I'd love to address a few of your concerns now.

We're proud that we've been welcoming guests in since 1989. While we love our vintage charm, we understand the need to keep the hotel updated and maintained. It sounds like the decor wasn't your style, which is disappointing. Also, as you know, bugs and birds are a part of Michigan summers near the water. I can imagine that not being to spend relaxing evenings and mornings on the patio put a damper on your visit. That said, during the day is a great time to explore by the water -- the mosquitos are much better during that time of the day.

I'd love another chance to welcome you back in during your next trip to St. Ignace. While the idea of a well-known hotel might be appealing, there's nothing like supporting a small, caring, local business.

Best,
Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stopped by this hotel after our first choice was full. ( duh, I thought how could they be full, major car show was answer..lol)
This hotel was a great value at just about about a hundred dollars a night. Rooms were very clean, and very, very big, I really was shocked at how big, lots of extra room for coolers and all the stuff we drag on vacation. LoI. The room has 2 Queen beds, a mid size table and a big 4 drawer dresser. The bathroom sink and mirrors are separated from the bathroom and shower and the sink area is big enough for leaving makeup bags and there is a hair drier. There is a big closet are for hanging 12 items. A coffee maker has 2 bags each of reg and decaf. There are 2 tea bags and the normal bags of stirrers and sugar.
Few nice surprises are a really nice info packet of things going on in Saint Ignace. A pack of playing cards in drawer, that obvisoley should be left for next guest.
They're are MAJOR swarms of flying assorted bugs at night, and each room has a warningg about leaving windows and doors open. DON'T. Its right at waters edge, and you have amazing views from the windows and patios during the day. At night,bugs fly. No amount of spray by hotel will stop it. Much, As they have to abide by government regulations around the water.
Free breakfast is basic, but ok. It will fill you up, no kids have cereal and toast. There is also sausage, biscuits fruit and bagels.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Staff is kind, knowledgeable and willing to help with any needs.
Pool is warm, and hot tub was hot. Great for a after island swim, it's open to 12. There is a separate hot tub for adults, in a separate room, a wonderful thing, as kids flock to hot tubs like bugs..in summer. Lol. All swim and hot tubs have huge windows to see outside.
A no brainer to stay here. Compare price and what you get. You can get cheaper, but I'd rather sleep in a clean bed, amazing views, and lots of space.

Room Tip: All rooms seen to be great. For huge rooms, get a triple queen. Small countries aren't this big...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank murphy1121
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us so much! Thank you for taking the time to share all of those great details. You're right -- the bugs do come out at night around our area, but we hope you had plenty of time to enjoy the lake during the day! We hope to see you back in during your next trip to Lake Huron.