“Good value but very dated”

Quality Inn Lakefront
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Farmington, Michigan
“Good value but very dated”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

For the price we paid for a room with a king bed, a pullout for the kids, balcony and hottub in the room it wasn't bad. If you don't mind rooms with no interior corridors and aren't afraid of little bugs that congregate around lakes, you'll be fine.
The room was clean but smelled a bit of lemon disinfectant. The decor is very dated and the "beach" was no more than a section of sand without easy access to the lake that needed to be cleaned for cigarette butts. (We wouldn't let our kids play on the beach.) The internet was not working as was documented by a misspelled sign in the office. I was disappointed that management implied that the wifi not working was not a big deal as it was "free" anyway. Hotels need to understand travelers will choose hotels based on these amenities.
The breakfast is average and they start moving things right at ending time (9:30). With such a small area to eat and the inability to take food out (multiple plastic signs) we felt rushed and burdensome when we arrived at 9:15.
The pool is in an outbuilding and included a good-sized pool and nice spa that was well-maintained.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor seemed larger. We liked our king suite with the in-room spa, and it was o...
1 Thank kOps210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was a decent place for a couple days stay.
Pluses:
Right on the lake, great view and warm enough to go wading on the rocky beach.
Reasonably clean and well maintained.
OK Parking. We did not use the pool but it looked nice.
Good sized room
Minuses:
Feather pillows, caused some allergy issues
Breakfast room is way too small for a hotel this size. Eat early or late or go to a different restaurant instead. Pretty standard breakfast offering anyway.
A fair distance to boat docks and not much within walking distance.
WIreless internet was not working while we were there

We would probably check elsewhere before staying here again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colt
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This was the worst place we have ever stayed. The only good thing about this room was the view. The internet would not work unless you went outside with your computer. The bed was as hard as concrete. The bathroom was so small you could not stand in it and shut the door. The TV was old. The balcony was full of mosquitos and the door to the balcony was bent and hard to open/close, it was also filthy. The grass outside the balcony was tall but they did mow it just before we left. The staff was very rude and not accommodating at all. We told them about the problems and they said all that came free with the room!!! The breakfast was not stocked and we even came to eat early. Awful. Don't stay here!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at this motel! Unless you measure the room for the view. That's all it...
1 Thank kattoe
Erie, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was traveling with my husband, teenage sons and elderly parents. I called 2 nights before our stay for reservations and it took the man on the phone almost 30 minutes to complete our reservation. He was polite, but very slow. I called the hotel directly because I had special requests and wanted to talk to the hotel directly. I was given a price of $120 which agreed with what was posted on the Quality Inn website. the next night I went to the website again and saw that the price was now $88. I immediately called the hotel and was told (really snotty) to bring up the issue when I checked in. On the day of check in, the same (snotty) man who had told me to question the rate at check-in, was on duty, and told me to take it up with the manager in the morning before checking out. He said he would not deal with it. I dropped the subject and said fine, I would take it up in the morning. Left the office and tried to find a handicapped parking place. There appeared to only be 1 - and it - along with all other spaces close to the building were taken. I unloaded my elderly parents and went to their room to get them settled. Their room was just okay and I did notice that there were all kinds of bugs on the window sill and that the room was very, very crowded with the 2 queen beds and other furniture. I then went to our adjoining room (which I had requested) and realized that the adjoining doors were so close to the beds that they could barely open all the way. Our room was equally crowded to the point that I could not walk around the beds without hitting other furniture. We also had numerous bugs on our window sill. The big surprise came when my 13 year old opened the refrigerator and found a half full bottle of wine, moldy pizza and moldy smoothies. Our room, like my parents room, had a fairly new flat screen TV that sat on top of - instead of - inside the piece of furniture designed for housing the TV - so watching TV required you looking up fairly high. The morning of check out I politely asked for the $88 rate for the rooms. The women behind the desk rolled their eyes, looked at each other and told me that they could not do that. I asked why, and one of them went to a man sitting to the side in a small office. he told her to tell me no way. I looked right at him and asked why, and he told me that Choice Hotels set those rates not him, and he could not change it. As we talked, the women behind the desk continued to roll their eyes and act disgusted. I asked what the "Lowest Rate Guarantee" that Choice Hotels advertises means and he said, well, I'll give you $10 off. I asked why one minute he couldn't do anything about the rate and the next he could lower it by $10. I also stated that if he could lower it $10 then he could lower it to $88. He told me that he then was retracting the offer to lower it by $10 - and to take it up with Choice Hotels. Pleased note that the entire tie I remained very polite and calm. I managed customer care globally for a large software company for several years and I know the what's and how's of customer service...and this man and his staff are seriously lacking in all areas. The lack of adequate handicapped parking for such a large hotel is a direct violation of the ADA compliance laws, bugs in the room and the booze and moldy food in the refrigerator clearly indicate that the housekeeping staff is inadequate and the rolling of eyes and snotty attitude of the desk staff and management are each reason enough to never go back - and all together they are reason to make sure that I let everyone know, through every form of media just what a disaster this facility is....

Room Tip: Although this hotel is on the lake - it is not a nice sandy beach down to the water. Lots of large...
3 Thank kaxel
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed here two nights at the beginning of June and used it as our 'base' while sightseeing in the area. The bugs, although they only last a couple of weeks, were so thick during our stay that we were unable to sit out on the balcony. We had to rush in and out of the door to keep them from invading our room. We could see where previous guests had smashed the bugs on the walls and ceiling. I booked this hotel because it was in the "Choice Hotels" group, and because it had a balcony (which we were unable to enjoy) and indoor pool. We were very disappointed with the pool because it was not attached to the hotel and we had to walk through the bugs to get there. We did go to the pool twice and basically had it to ourselves, I'm sure because others were unwilling to walk through the bugs. This experience has taught me to definitely check TripAdvisor reviews before booking!

We arrived for breakfast exactly at the end of their serving hours, and most of the food had already been whisked away. Fortunately we were able to grab a cup of coffee and some fruit. The waffle maker was still hot, but the server was walking away with the batter and refused to allow us to make waffles.

This hotel, with it's lake view balcony rooms has the potential to be a gold mine. Unfortunately their customer service is lacking and did not make up for the distance to the pool & breakfast room or the run through the bugs. If the staff had been a little more accommodating, my review would have been much different.

Room Tip: Definitely get to the breakfast room early, or you won't get any food!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Charlotte, Michigan
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The bugs were awful. We had a great view but couldn't open the door because the bugs were coming inn. Complained and was told there was nothing they could do about it. Would not stay there again. No inside access to either pool or room. It was 40 outside and I was not about to walk to the pool which was in a separate building. Also the office was in a separate building so to get breakfast you had to go outside.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cln51548
Streamood
Reviewed 14 October 2012

1. Advertised indoor pool was in no way connected to the hotel. When the outdoor temp is 40° you don't want to have to go to the pool bundled up, get out of those clothes, in to your suit then get in a freezing, over filled pool (I am 5'2" and could not touch bottom on the marker indicating 4' and the drop is very abrupt) only to have to redress & walk back outside to your room. 2. After removing "do not disturb sign" on our way out for the day @ noon, we returned @ 8:30 PM to an uncleaned room. The night clerk had to interrupt the TV show he was snuggled in to watch, said if we needed anything we should come to the office and get it ourselves and if we wanted anything else to talk to the mgr in the AM. The following morning a member of the cleaning staff rudely indicated it was our own fault since if the do not disturb sign is not removed by noon "or so" they do not go back to check if it the room is available to be cleaned. 3. On 2 different nites, in pouring rain, we determined our key card was deactivated. The same nite clerk pulled himself away from TV to give us new keys with no apology or anything, All of this topped by the fact that upon check in we had to state the # of nites we were staying and then were required to sign a card indicating no refunds for any reason for our 7 nite stay. Ironically on one of our excursions we had a converstation with a "local" who previously knew the owner & said he had never found the facility clean so he stopped accepting "comped rooms. Never stay here - they don't care about you only about your $$$$$.

Room Tip: Rooms all seem to face the water, but does this matter if they are unclean and management has no con...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple