“Nice hotel with a reat Breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace-Lake Front
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room was did not have a lot of space but it was fine. We left the sliding door open all night and the breeze coming in felt really good and listening to the waves made us think we were on the ocean. I do think it was a little expensive for the room but you are at a tourist area. Their breakfast was one of the best breakfasts included in the room price that you will find. There were eggs, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, cereal, etc. They also had hot cinnamon buns that were very tasty. It was a little crowded in the breakfast area but tables turn over quite quickly.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that faces the water. Nothing is more peaceful than listening to the waves.
1  Thank Sharon V

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were very happy with our room at this hotel. We were able to request a large room with plenty of space for all 6 of us. The staff was friendly, and the pool and hot tub were nice. The breakfast area was very crowded both mornings, but the breakfast itself was fine. The location of the hotel was great in relationship to the ferry docks for Mackinack Island.

My primary disappointment was that I was under the impression, from pictures and the website, that there would be an actual beach area at the hotel. We were quite excited to get a first floor room that opened up onto the courtyard and overlooked the lake....until we actually stepped out there. The courtyard and area between the hotel and lake were absolutely covered with droppings and feathers from seagulls and geese. It was, frankly, disgusting. We tried to make our way down to the water, but it seemed very unsanitary for my kids to be barefoot - you could hardly take a step without landing in goose poo. Yuck! Moreover, the "beach" area was actually one tiny little muddy, rocky spot - most of the shoreline was overgrown with weeds and you couldn't get right up to the lake. There was a sandy area with a firepit (again, the whole thing was covered in droppings), but the firepit was full of broken glass, so we avoided that area as well.

Overall, the interior of the hotel was fine, the outside was not.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BuckeyeMamaof4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace-Lake Front, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear BuckeyeMamaof4,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room and our staff.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the beach area. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our number one criteria is cleanliness. This hotel gets high marks for that. The Front Desk staff was not so accomadating. We arrived after the 3:00 check-in time and were told our room still wasn't ready! We were not happy about that. The cleaning staff and breakfast bar staff were much better. I wanted to swim laps before the official pool opening time, and a staff member allowed it. That was nice. Another staff member got me the extra towels we needed quickly. She was from housekeeping. We loved our room, except the bathroom was small. The living area and terrace were very nice. I can't say enough about how clean this hotel was. Big positive! The breakfast area is small for the size of the hotel. We had to take our food back to the room with us because there was no place to sit in the breakfast area. The pool was warm and clean. although the chlorine level was so high it made our eyes red. Hot tub was clean and hot. Overall, we would reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with lake view
1  Thank CindiB53
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace-Lake Front, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear CindiB53,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness and housekeeping.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the front desk service which was unacceptable. We will address this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our family of 5 stayed here for three nights. We really enjoyed our room overlooking the bay. The room and bathroom was very clean. The breakfast, especially the cinnamon rolls, was also very good. Although it was a little pricey, we would return when in the area.

2  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We really loved this hotel. We had a suite and it was newly updated on the fourth floor. Room was very clean, the balcony and chairs were a nice plus to sit and watch the water, ducks and even rain. We were really comfortable there. It was pricey but we expected that as all the hotels in the area of U.P. were in this range. We didn't eat breakfast and my husband went down for coffee he said it was the same average fare you would normally find but if you were hungry and needed breakfast it was available. We enjoyed our stay and the staff were friendly. Could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: book the bay view if you want to see the water it states so right on the page otherwise you will not...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel was nice, location was great (near the ferries) and the breakfast was decent. The man running the breakfast was very efficient and friendly. We were on the top floor which was great since the hotel was full and very busy. My only complaint is that I was concerned about the bill under my door in the morning since I had booked this hotel using Orbitz, the matter was effficiently taken care of by the Manager who happened to be at the front desk in the morning. I would stay here again....

Room Tip: ask for top floor
Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 516Susan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have chosen this property many times before, usually with good results.Not this time. Made reservation 6/18 for a 3 day stay, starting 7/31. Requested a room on the highest floor (4th) and 2 or 3 doors from the elevator. Plenty early enough for my request to be honored, right? Wrong. I was put in room 316, which is on the 3rd floor, and quite aways from the elevator. Even though I have platinum status in the chains "priority club", they couldn't find a way to give me the room location I'd requested. Upon checking in, I was told "we're very full tonight, and this is the best we could do". When I got to my room I found many of the electronic items not woking ( weren't plugged in ) no pad or pen for notes or reminders, and I had to call maintenance because the lock on the door to the balcony would not work. Finally, when preparing to checkout, I noticed my bill had mysteriously jumped from $607 to $782. very dissapointed. Management needs to take more care in honoring special requests, and room readiness.

Room Tip: Don't bother. You'll get what they give you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HARRY_LOVES_TRAVEL
UpN0rthGirl, Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace-Lake Front, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Unfortunately during peak season we cannot guarantee special requests. Our hotel is full or nearly full every night and when there are many people staying for multiple nights there are times when we do not have specific rooms available.

If there is an issue with your bill please contact me directly at the hotel and I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can.

Once again thank you for the review and thank you for staying with us.

Rachel