“Don't pay a dime! Stay anywhere else!”
Review of Silver Beach Hotel

Silver Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had booked 3 nights here with another family. The lobby was gorgeous- and completely deceiving. Our room was disgusting. No updating since it first opened I would imagine. Someone had patched a hole with sparkle but never sanded or repainted. The clock was unreadable because of a film over it- gross. Huge crack in mirror in friends room. I've read other reviews and read them before our trip and it seems there may be some renovated rooms but ours definitely was not. Random birds in lobby, pool was weird and nasty. After half hour in the room, we called other hotels in the area in hopes to get out the next day! Our first night there was $167 and would go up fri night and Saturday was $329!!! I was ready to go home if I had to stay all 3 nights there and pay that much for the crappiest room I've ever been in! I didn't even shower because of the shampoo/conditioner dispensers in there that I had no clue what was actually in them! We ended up moving to the nicest hotel around- the Boulevard inn that was CHEAPER than the dump Silver Beach hotel! Seriously, do not book this hotel! St joe is so beautiful- don't let this hotel ruin that!

Room Tip: I have no clue!
5  Thank Carriey251
There are newer reviews for Silver Beach Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This has got to be one of the most disappointing hotels at which I have ever stayed! It reminds me of The Breakers at Cedar Point before the remodel. It is so outdated and dirty, I feel sorry for it. The wi-fi didn't work, the fixtures were broken in our bathroom, we didn't have a coffee maker in our room - the "Presidential Suite", the "lakeview" is a joke, the birds in the lobby are kind of gross, and they ran out of food at breakfast, which by the way is set up like 6th-grade camp! And if that is not enought to keep you away, you can see through the glass in door of the Presidential Suite, which may violate some law, since I am pretty sure you have an expectation of privacy when you're in your own hotel room. Way too much money for this hotel. The location is its only positive attribute.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank MissJRL
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is horrible - DO NOT WASTE your money! Within an hour of getting there the entire hotel was out of water - though fixed quickly, there was no communication and no apology for the inconvenience. But worse than that was the absolute filthiness of our room. The shower was BLACK. The floor had hair - not ours all over. It was just gross. I didn't want my kids in there at all. When I went down to complain there was a complete lack of urgency or care to get the issue resolved. We did have someone come back up and clean everything - but the whole place just felt dirty from then on. They spent all their money on part of the lobby and the elevators - the rest of the place is old, dated, dirty and in need of care. I have told everyone I know that comes to St Joseph to make sure they NEVER come here.

5  Thank Sara V
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you are looking at the professional hotel photos, keep in mind they have been "enhanced". Do check the actual hotel guest photos. I really was expecting this to be a high class hotel in downtown St Joseph. As we pull up there is a limo out front. Then as you walk by the limo, you see all the rusted out spots. Kind of the same idea when you go inside. Room hasn't been updated in YEARS. The shelves in the bathroom were rusty. I though the counter might break if I set anything heavy on there. I had no interest in using the jacuzzi in our room. This could really be a great place if they would do some updating. Minimal plug ins and the wifi didn't work when we arrived. When my husband went to the front desk, they basically thought he didn't know how to connect. Um, we do. Then the front desk clerk tried to connect and she couldn't. As she was trying to tell my husband she would make a call, another employee (male) actually handed my husband the number of their internet service and expected him to call. He was not happy and after a bit of conversation, they agreed to handle it. It worked finally, but was spotty. We had planned to stay here two nights, but were so disappointed in the hotel, that we just stayed one night. There are also loud squawking birds in the lobby which is quite odd. Unless they do some major updating, we won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a jacuzzi suite.
4  Thank Stacie G
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed 1 Saturday night, July 19. We made a special request for 2 queens at check-in and an updated room. The room we had reserved online was for 1 king bed. They filled all our requests. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Great location. I would stay again, no question.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dadly99
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Very expensive for no reason. I agree with most comments above...no blankets, pillows lumpy, WiFi connection was horrible, no channels on TV and very thin walls, because I could hear everything!!!!! Didn't get to sleep until 3am because even on the 4th floor, I could hear people screaming at the bar downstairs. I couldn't wait to get back home to sleep!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank nikkibayos
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Silver Beach Hotel reminds me of an old Florida hotel. it could use some updating ,but our room was clean and large. Bathroom was large and clean, except for the vent. Breakfast was basic, but adequate enough to save the cost of a meal out. We were on the 5th floor and our king room was large. We didn't come to St Joseph to watch TV, so we only watched for a few minutes. Refrigerator and Microwave in the room are a nice bonus. Internet worked well. Staff was helpful, friendly and courteous. We slept very well. Mattress was firm, lots of pillows. Freeman worked with me to get us the best price available. Balcony was small, but allowed us to have a view. We plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!