“just ok”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
cincy
“just ok”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

old property, AC was noisy and sub par.
Breakfast ok, the staff worked to ensure the food was sufficient
Room was clean but drab and old
not close to the beach or anything else
I would book a different hotel if returning to this area

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cincyedc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is way overpriced! This hotel is NOT on or near to the beach. Its very close tho the noisy road, so if you like to hear car engines and sirens... you can also hear other room tv’s and people! I was here for a wedding, and everyone had trouble with their card keys. Mine in paticular never worked and getting in late after the wedding celebration took an extra half hour to get into my room! The beds are old and hard, and cleaning services are extremely poor. Some rooms also had bugs! The lobby is nice, but don’t be fooled, its the only nice part of the hotel. A true source of furstration. I clearly reccommend you research other hotels.

Room Tip: don’t stay here!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank liz M
Ohio
Reviewed 26 August 2014

For the price, I was disappointed. The exterior and interior are in need of updating and repair. The lobby and indoor pool, sauna and hot tub were good, but the breakfast area and rooms were below average. The front desk person was very friendly, but when I got all the way up to the 7th floor with all my luggage, the room key card would not work, so back down to the lobby I go. I was originally given room 705 (facing the lake), but was then told I was given the wrong room, and was then given room 702 facing the street. The room was large and ok, I did not have any wash clothes or hand towels. When I called the desk, they sent some up very quickly. The air conditioning unit worked well, but was on the loud side. The bed was pretty hard. The breakfast was good I also could not find any type of information folder in my room like you usually find. Smaller TV but reception was good. I stayed 2 nights, and on my 2nd day I left my room around 9:30am and returned around 3:30pm and my room was not cleaned. I left again around 4:30pm and the cleaning lady in the hallway asked if I wanted my room done,and I told her if she could empty trash and take the wet towels, that would be fine. When I came back later, neither had been done. Parking on Friday and Saturday night was also a problem, their parking lot was full. I booked mainly because of the location, which was great, but if I was to do it over, I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: rooms facing the street were rather noisy I would ask for a room facing the lake, although I doubt...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank bhein60
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Silver Beach Hotel with our Golden Retriever and really enjoyed our time at this hotel! Not easy to find a nice, dog-friendly hotel with an excellent location! Yes, it does look like an older facility, but you cannot beat the location and I found the hotel staff very attentive. Breakfast was good and plentiful (they even set up extra tables in the hallway for the booked up weekend guests). Walk to park, walk to beach, walk to downtown St. Joseph...what more could you ask? One small situation ... we arrived back on Saturday from touring the area and could not find a parking spot, even though we were registered guests (!) Hubby had to waste about an hour and a half running back and forth from a public 3 hour parking lot to try to grab parking! Seems like parking could be handled more efficiently. We will stay again!

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty soundproof, and we had our Golden Retriever with us on the second floor.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Room was dirty with multiple stains on carpet and linens. Bathroom tile was dirty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks! Bed was like sleeping on a hard wood floor. I was also charged twice for my room and left a pillow with a few articles if clothing in my room. When I called to fix these problems, the manager was only rude and didn't offer any solutions. I never got my personal items back.... Worst hotel I've ever seen and stayed in!

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Arobinso
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel based off the description and pictures on the website. Also, sadly enough the price made it seem like it was a 5 star hotel. Where do I begin.....first off, the exterior appearance was poor-terrible. We still had hope at this point and entered the lobby, the lobby was decent and almost convinced us that we chose a nice hotel. Then we enter the elevator and get to our hallway....outdated, dirty, and hideous decor/paint schemes fill the hallway. Get to our room and are swarmed by flys amongst other insects. The staff offered to spray some sort of pesticide and told us to just leave our door open and they would escape on their own...what??? Our room looked nothing like the pictures from the website. Also, we paid the extra price for the "lake side". Well there's an older taller building blocking the entire lake view. The free breakfast is rather disgusting as well.The staff did not even bother to ask how our stay was at check out (assuming on purpose as I'm sure they get disappointed visitors daily). Long story short avoid this place at all cost. We payed over $300 for a dump. We pay that same price for a 5 star hotel on magnificent mile in Chicago. The deception of the Silver Beach Hotel is sad and down right wrong.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
8 Thank Lee B
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

For starters we booked this room thinking we would be staying in a decent hotel....boy were we wrong. I'll skip over the poor exterior of this establishment and go straight to the interior. The pictures on the website are DECEIVING. That hotel literally looks nothing like the hotel we booked. It was $300 after taxes for one night....I'm assuming we paid strictly for the location. However we spent last weekend in Chicago and paid the same price and it was beautiful. The lobby of this hotel is nice as well as the elevators. We made it to our room and it was infested with flies. We called the front desk and we waited a half hour for someone to come up and ask if we wanted them to spray our room. No thanks. Our stuff is in here....so we let that go. We tried spending the least amount of time in our room as possible. It's overall outdated and not very cleanly. I was surprised to see there was no comforter on the bed, however it was comfortable. The room had yellow ceilings and yellow/black stained lampshades....i assume this was a smoking room. I would have expected that room to be $120, next time we will pitch a tent. We also paid an extra $30 to have lake view, that was inaccurate as well....we got to see the parking lot, the building acrossed the parking lot, and a smidgen of the lake when it was not gloomy/foggy. Our room key also stopped working and I'm glad that when we checked out they didn't bother to ask us if we enjoyed our stay....guess they've learned their lesson!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else?
7 Thank LJB20142014
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!