Silver Beach Hotel
US$75
EconoLodge
US$290
US$284
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph(Saint Joseph)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$168
HIExpress.com
Boulevard Inn(Saint Joseph)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$127
US$104
US$140
US$121
Best Western Benton Harbor - St. Joseph(Benton Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$84
See what travellers are saying:
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 July 2005

For a 1950s vintage concrete block hotel that began as a Holiday Inn, this one does pretty well. The staff is friendly and courteous, the rooms are clean and in working order, and the rates are moderate. The view from the Lake Michigan side is nice. The location is within walking distance of the beach and excellent restaurants. Drawbacks include an antiquated elevator system that continually breaks down and a continental breakfast that is dull and unappetizing. Also, there is no outdoor pool, patio, or any sort of facility. They should use the roof of the indoor swimming pool for a magnificent outdoor deck. Stay here, but eat and enjoy the outdoors someplace else.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2005

Okay, I stayed at the Clarion Hotel during Art fair weekend in St Joseph. It was the only hotel open for a wedding we were attending in the area. We paid $150 a night and it was NOT worth it, even with a nice view of the lake. My husband put it best when he said, "It was probably a really nice hotel 20 years ago." The hotel is old! The tile was chipping in the the bathroom, all the rooms and hallways had a strang odor like mixed cleaning fumes, and the carpets were stained every where! I didn't want to walk barefoot on the carpet. Don't get me wrong, the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean, but the hotel needs some major updating. I didn't want to spend any time in my room due to the odor and the horrible King mattress that was broke down in the middle. It looked like a V and my husband and I kept rolling into each other in the middle of the bed. To make matters even worse the hotel was booked up and there was only one elevator working in the entire hotel for all 7 floors. Sometime had to wait 15 mintues for the elevator. Of course, we were on the top floor and ended up getting our exercise. I recommend skipping this hotel and pay a little more to stay at the Boulevard Inn.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank lerikss
Reviewed 29 June 2005

The staff was pleasant all throughout the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable enough.
The hallways (on the fifth floor anyway) were extremely hot and stuffy, as were the extremely slow elevators. The halls and elevator were also considerably more dirty than the rest of the hotel. Probably because it was too darned hot in them to stay in there long enough to clean!
Overall, for the price and location, I found it to be a good deal.

1  Thank MrFrump
Reviewed 17 June 2005

This was our second stay here. Maybe my thoughts about the Clarion were influenced a bit by the discount rate we got, but I thought it was just fine. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. We didn't visit the pool area, however, so can't review that.
The location of the place in downtown St. Joseph is excellent. You can walk around town and down to the beach.
You may be able to do better in St. Joseph, but without spending more money I don't think you will find a better location with a decent room.

1  Thank cmsps23
Reviewed 15 May 2005

We spent only one night in the Clarion. In all fairness, I have given this hotel a 2, based solely on the location and attitude of the staff. The location is excellent for shopping and the beach. The staff were great, especially considering what they have to work with. Were I to rate only the hotel, I would give it less than one. This hotel is in dire need of some serious renovation! It is my understanding from talking to the staff that some renovation has taken place and more is scheduled. However, until such time that the management brings this to fruition, I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005