“enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Walking in you see a beautiful view of the glass sculpture hanging in the entry way, upon looking around you see the Planks Tavern with the view to the outside seating by the harbor. You just take a deep breath and know you our on vacation. Rooms were outstanding. Food in the restaurant was very high quality, enjoyed by kids and adults. Kids enjoyed the hot tub and the pool. Seating outside by the pool was vey comfortable. We are going back in September to stay for our 20 year anniversary.

Room Tip: If they are available, the rooms where there is a harbor view is very peaceful.
5  Thank C B
TheInnAtHarborShores, Owner at The Inn at Harbor Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear CB,
Thank you for your review of The Inn at Harbor Shores. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your stay here. We are glad to hear you found things relaxing and enjoyable. We look forward to having you as our Guest again in September fro your Anniversary!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at The Inn at Harbor Shores July 11th and 12th as part of a wedding group. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but most important to us was the professionalism, kindness, and attention to detail shown by the sales manager, Erica, Kristi and the food and beverage staff. They made the welcoming reception we hosted Friday evening and the farewell brunch on Sunday very enjoyable experiences for us, the bride and groom, and our guests. I would not hesitate to host another event here, Also, the food was not only tasty but beautifully presented.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Janet H

Dear Janet,
Thank you for your review of The Inn at Harbor Shores. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your stay here. We will make sure our entire staff sees your kind words. It is our mission make sure all our Guests have a truly memorable experience. We look forward to having you as our Guest again soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you are looking for a resort with the amenities then don’t stay here!!! I cannot emphasize that enough. Our first impression upon driving up to the Inn was the employee smoking right outside the front door. Then the card reader didn’t work. After a long wait for the elevator and a very slow ride up to our floor, we arrived at our “suite” only to discover the security lock was defective and we couldn’t get in. After another wait of 20 minutes, somebody finally “jimmied” the lock. Not sure that speaks well for a security lock. Upon entering our room, I looked around for a directory that would provide hotel information, including the all-important menu for room service. Nothing was found. Believing this to be an oversight, I called the front desk. But, lo and behold, they don’t provide room service. A. With trusty IPad in hand, I went down to the front desk to show them room service is listed as an amenity. Then after waiting again for the hotel restaurant to open, we finally were seated and ordered our food. No problem with waiting here. I believe I had taken two bites of my salad before the main course arrived! After dinner, we decided to go for a stroll on the walking trails. We asked the front desk again for directions to the Harbor Loop. A blank stare was all we received. Well, we figured, at least we can relax on the balcony, overlooking the harbor. Not so, there are large exhaust fans which make it virtually impossible to hear each other without shouting; and the view---well, let’s just say my five-year-old grandson would love it because he is fascinated by construction vehicles, at present. As for the rest of us, a view of sand piles, rocks, backhoes, and cranes, across some backwater isn’t really what one has in mind. But, hey, I suppose it is better than the other view which is the parking lot. And, my final pet peeve is the “in room coffee.” They provide EXACTLY one cup of coffee per person. There are far more things I could mention such as a shower which doesn’t maintain temperature and scalds you, a noisy air conditioning unit which doesn’t work well and so on but I think you get the picture! If you want a clean bed in which to sleep then stay at the Holiday Inn, where you will be less apt to be disappo

9  Thank R S
TheInnAtHarborShores, Owner at The Inn at Harbor Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear RS,
Thank you for your review of the Inn at Harbor Shores. We appreciate your feedback, and I will share this with our entire staff so we can continue to improve the overall experience for all our Guests. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly about your stay, and your thoughtful suggestions about how we can improve our services. I can be reached at (616) 212-7340 or by email edvan@theedgehospitality.com anytime day or night. We look forward to making things right for you and ensuring you will be a guest of ours long into the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have read the other reviews. In fairness, this place just opened several months ago, so a few glitches might be expected. I stayed here 2 nights in town for the wedding of a dear friend. Front desk staff was very helpful. Elevator a touch slow but not a major issue. I loved room, the balcony, the single cup Koereg coffee machine! My only gripes were that the A/C was a bit noisy, And there was a motion activated light in the bathroom that would go off during my shower. Not a huge issue.

Beds are fresh and clean, room decor a bit spartan but perfect for me. View of the harbor was of river traffic, the bridge that retracts for sailboats (watching this worth admission). And we got to watch a huge freighter unload gravel across the water and then try to turn around in the channel using serious bow thrusters. Took a while but was successful. Worth the price of admission.

Parking free! Not necessarily true elsewhere in town.

Breakfast was perfect. Staff friendly. Overall a great stay. But not sure it is worth $300 a night!

Room Tip: Harbor view nice if you like to watch boat traffic and the drawbridge.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank pnc47292019

Thank you for your review of The Inn. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your stay here. We also share all the reviews with our staff to help us improve our services and make sure all our Guests have a truly memorable experience. We look forward to having you as our Guest again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I can't say enough great things about this super sophisticated but chill hotel. Heard this was a brand new NON-chain hotel from a very well traveled friend. She was spot on with Kimpton/W comparison though not the prices or "stuffy" feel from employees. Spent two nights here for my husband's 50th birthday in June. Guy at the front desk set us up (sans tip) with a personalized birthday wishes message and a bottle of bubbly. Had amazing brunch and an even more impressive birthday dinner on the patio overlooking the channel with boats coming and going (highly recommend hand made local white fish spread and their kale salad is the best I've every had). Staff was friendly, fun and attentive - chef even stopped by to check on our entrees. Can't wait - Local art + rustic modern decor seal the deal! Pool and HOT TUB are the best I've ever seen on the Red Arrow! We're heading back in August for a kayak/golf long weekend + vineyard tour.

Room Tip: Request a harbor view - sip a bevvie on the balcony and enjoy the boats!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank andrea k

Dear Andrea,
Thank you for your review of The Inn. We are very pleased you had a great time here while celebrating your husband's birthday. Your compliments are very flattering and we will share them with our entire staff as it is our mission to ensure all our guests have a truly memorable experience. We look forward to having you as our Guest in August!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had such high hopes for this hotel. Too bad they did not pan out. First, they violated ADA rules by telling me that I had to present papers to bring my service animal. Then, when I tried to discuss this with the manager, she would not return my phone calls. So, I had to leave my service dog at home. Next, upon arrival there was no one to help us with our luggage. When we tried to check-in we were told that the room we reserved was not available, that the reservation was a "request" not a reservation; despite the fact that it was more expensive. When this was worked out, we got on the painfully slow elevators which sounds as it they were about to break down, which they later did, resulting in climbing six flights of stairs several times over 3 days. The doors to the room slam so loudly that you cannot sleep in or nap. The rooms are nice, but no better than a Hampton Inn or such. Don't even bother with the expense of upgrading to a Habor View room because you will simply be overlooking a gravel pit. The rooms are very clean. However the fans in the bathroom run constantly unless you manually turn them off and the air conditions are very loud. They put us in a room next to a family with a bunch of kids who were screaming like howler monkeys. Hospitality 101, put families on the same floor. The pools are tiny and the hot tub was filthy with hair balls floating in it.
On a positive note, the front desk staff just kept trying to make things right. Something management seemed to have no interest in whatsoever. The food was mediocre at Planks.
To sum it up, this place it not worth the $300-350 a night they are charging to stay here. They need to step it up if they want these rates.

Room Tip: Don't bother to upgrade to Habor View, it overlooks a gravel pit.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Suzanne M
TheInnAtHarborShores, Owner at The Inn at Harbor Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Suzanne,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of The Inn at Harbor Shores. We want to ensure all our guests have an absolutely perfect stay. We understand how the issues you encountered during your stay, i.e. noisy neighbors, elevator malfunctions, have greatly inconvenienced you and your family and we sincerely apologize. We have taken these comments to heart and are working to resolve those issues immediately. It is our goal that every guest has a truly remarkable stay. We certainly value your opinions and welcome you to call us directly to discuss these issues with our Management Team and make things right with you. Give us a call or email at your earliest convenience. You can reach us at (269)983-1111 or info@innatharborshores.com anytime. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed there over for the 4th of July for 3 days. I had called about a week after they opened to book a reservation (a reservations agent or manager was supposed to call me about a week ahead of them opening, but forgot). I did a credit card hold for a 2 bedroom suite. My wife called Thursday, the day before we arrived, to ask if our room had a view of the fireworks. We were told yes and we were told we would have 3 queen beds instead of 2 queens and a king. We get there on Friday and our told that no suites are available, but they had arranged for us to have 2 adjoining rooms. They had discounted the price of the room to match the price of the suite. The guy at the check in desk said that i was getting a better deal. I had my wife, daughter and in-laws with me so I was not in the mood to press it. I found out later on that the suite is really a condo rental. The 7th and 8th floors are condos that are for sale. They do an income property rental arrangement for the condo owners. The condos are much nicer than the apartments. I was totally hosed by the front desk. If i would have realized that prior to check-in, I would have really pushed for the suite that I was promised. It did not ruin my vacation, but just left a bad impression of the hotel on me. There are other examples of customer service lacking. Nobody says hi when you come and go from the hotel. Room service will only clean your room if you remember to leave a tag requesting your room to be cleaned. I had to track down a maid to get towels. We went to the restaurant at the hotel and they had no kid money for brunch. The waitress had to go back to the kitchen and ask if they had any kids options. It was kind of surprising considering how kid friendly the area is. Upon check out, I was not asked if I had a good stay or anything. It is just little things that left a less than desirable view. Now the hotel is really nice. It is clean and modern. The rooms are efficient and have nice amenities - good size TV, balconies, table and chairs, etc. Having said that, it is still a decent alternative to the escalating cost of housing rentals in the area. It is also a doable walk to Tiscornia Beach.

Room Tip: Ask about your view...watch out if they offer you a suite.
4  Thank PurdueBen

Dear "Purdue Ben"
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of The Inn at Harbor Shores. We wish to apologize for the confusion at check in regarding your reservations. Our mission is to ensure all our guests have an absolutely perfect stay. We certainly value your opinions and welcome you to call us directly to discuss these issues with our Management Team and make things right with you. Give us a call or email at your earliest convenience. You can reach us at (269)983-1111 or info@innatharborshores.com anytime. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Joseph
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph
Comfort Suites St.Joseph / Stevensville

Been to The Inn at Harbor Shores? Share your experiences!