“Excellent”

Cuisines: Tunisian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Eaten here on several occasions and always been very happy with the service and the quality of the food. I am one to complain if something is not right but I have never had cause to at the Queens Head.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We arrived rather late for weekday lunch having found that the nearby rather posh hotel didn't do lunches!

Although the restaurant was still busy the drinks order was taken promptly and the the wait for service was acceptable.

My soup (in a round bowl) was excellent as was the poached salmon salad. The fish was moist and flaky with the salad lightly dressed with vinaigrette. My wife's meal was equally excellent.

The down side? This pub fell short of excellent only because of the "packed in" tables leading to a distinct feeling of crowding. Otherwise and good experience.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great pub, lovely staff and fantastic food. I go quite regularly with my family and they are always accommodating. My son has aspergers syndrome and is very specific with his food. They are always extremely welcoming. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This used to be a terrific pub before the cottages were knocked into one to create the present pub/restaurant. Unfortunately a lot is done for effect and results in a clinical atmosphere.

The advertised price of a Sunday lunch is £7.50, not the £8.00 I was obliged to fork over yesterday. Charging 50p for a Yorkshire pudding isn't what I'd expect and I consider that nickel & diming. Pubs in England don't do this and it's no surprise the place was half empty. As I thought to myself on the way out, don't spend that 50p all at once - you won't be getting any more from me. This may sound pennypinching but it isn''t. I expect to pay the price on the menu, not have the price inflated especially when the increase was not pointed out when I put in the order.

2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Landlady asked if she could take our order as soon as we sat down. When I asked for a couple of extra minutes she just skulked off in a huff. Couldn't bring herself to return to take our order so the kind head waiter came instead.
Food was very average (I had fillet steak with frozen oven chips) my wife had a microwaved pie. We did not complain and made the most of our evening. Upon leaving, the landlady walked straight past us with her eyes on the floor. You're welcome happy face!!
She has a flash Mercedes with a personalised number plate so clearly earns far too much and doesn't need our business. I'll do her a favour and not give her any more of mine. Ever. I don't know how they get away with it. The decor has been the same for 30 years and the owner is ungrateful. Baffling.

8  Thank Addey83