The Hickory Pit
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stopped into this place after a long day of dealing with one way and construction traffic during a rainy day at the Holland Tulip Festival.
The (I assume owner) was very nice, very helpful with unfamiliar menu items, and chatted us up a little bit. We enjoyed the conversation.
The food was very good. After finishing our meals we actually ordered extra cornbread as well as some to go! We had pulled pork, brisket, creamy coleslaw, baked beans,cucumber & onions, potato salad. It was fantastic, I am partial to the cucumber & onions.
The BBQ sauce was great, either tangy or spicy. I mixed them both together. But the pork and smoky flavor without any sauce could stand on its own.
Great location with windows overlooking the water and very easy to park even though it is downtown.
If you like BBQ, Meat and/or Southern food, this is the place to be!

3  Thank Megan A

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I love good barbecue, and this place delivers. The pulled pork is amazing, and the homemade sauces are fantastic, although the sandwich is delicious enough without adding sauce. There is a great selection of meats and sides, and we were told that there are even more creative options in the works. If you're in the Saugatuck/Douglas/Holland/Grand Rapids area and you like fantasic BBQ, this is a place that you should not miss.

4  Thank mpcjr001
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Super friendly staff. Best brisket and pulled pork that I have ever had. The sides were delicious too. Looking forward to trying the ribs next time.

4  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This place has the very best barbeque in the area. I'm from the South and we know barbeque. The pulled pork and pulled chicken is mouth-watering, as are the ribs and brisket. I really like the "sides" - two kinds of slaw, macaroni, baked beans, fries - and everything else I've eaten there. I've visited Saugatuck many times and always eat at The Hickory Pit. Not only is the food excellent, the owners are welcoming and friendly, and the prices are very reasonble - you get a lot of food for the money.

4  Thank Beth C
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We tried their BBQ beef brisket at the taste festival - it was the best I've ever had! Doesn't look like much from the outside but you really should try it. Not sure if it's still open, or closed for the winter? I went Monday Oct 10th and it wasn't open.

5  Thank PaulaS605