“2nd time just as great as the first!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites

Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites
Ranked #4 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Bourbonnais, Illinois
“2nd time just as great as the first!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in the San Juan suite April 4-6 and it was just wonderful! This was our 2nd visit to Hidden Garden and we are already planning our 3rd! Gary and Jonathan are wonderful hosts. From the AWESOME homemade muffins to the bath salts they leave in the bathroom to use with the huge whirlpool tub, you will not be disappointed when staying here. The San Juan is basically a one bedroom apartment and has a great wood burning fireplace. We've also stayed in the Orleans cottage and that was just as wonderful. We cannot wait to come back and check out the Tuscany cottage and the Kilamanjaro suite! Also, it's wonderful to be within walking distance of fun stores and great bars/restaurants (you must try Phil's!). I would definitely recommend this place. We love it here and you will too!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Caledonia, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in the San Juan Suite March 23rd - 25th to celebrate her birthday. We had previously stayed in the Tuscany Cottage, and once again the experience was wonderful! Gary and Jonathan never fail to provide all the amenities you could want for a relaxing getaway for two. The San Juan Suite is the largest at Hidden Gardens, with a full kitchen, wood burning fireplace, and plenty of room to stretch out while still maintaining a very cozy feeling. The in-room breakfast is a nice touch, and the muffins are not to be passed up! We have made reservations for New Years Eve in the Orleans Cottage, and are very much looking forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Zeeland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I attempted to book a room for my honeymoon at Hidden Gardens. I talked to a gentleman about the dates and had everything almost finalized. I told him I would call him back shortly to make the payment to secure the room after I had all the details worked out. (Keep in mind that this was during the day, between the hours of 11am-1pm roughly). I called back about 10 minutes later, no answer. Called back again about 20 minutes later, no answer. Called back about 30 minutes later, no answer. Called back an hour later, no answer. Called back again 4 more times, no answer. I left them a message and told them I was trying to make the payment to reserve the room and gave them my phone number, but no one ever returned my call. I called them about 8 hours later (after having to go to sleep, as I work third shift) and finally spoke to the gentleman, who then informed me that they had booked the room with someone else and they were all full. Terrible experience, but given the information I acquired from this experience, it is probably for the better that I did not stay here... if this is what happened just trying to book a room, I can only imagine how unprofessional the actual stay would have been.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JackieChiles
Lakeffect, Owner at Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I am so sorry that we were unable to accommodate this person. There are times when we are unable to answer the phone. We are not a Hilton Hotel with a 24 hour front desk. We are a small 2 person run bed and breakfast that must find time between guests to go grocery shopping, run errands, make repairs, clean rooms, do laundry and finally check in new guests. On this particular day I was working by myself. I had already had 3 lengthy conversations with this particular person that did not result in a reservation. It became necessary for me to prioritize my time and to get ready for incoming guests. Why this person called 8 times over a 3 hour period but not leave a message until the 9th call is puzzling to me. We received a reservation request for the same dates via e-mail that same afternoon. I carefully checked when the e-mail came in and when we received the phone message and determined that the e-mail was first. If this person had left a message after his first call, he would have gotten the room. We hope this person found other accommodations in Saugatuck and we ask that he stop by for a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate his wedding.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Tuscany cottage March 15- March 17 . We loved it!!! Everything was perfect, cozy and warm for our relaxing winter getaway. The breakfast basket in your room is a fabulous alternative to communal breakfasts at traditional b&b.

• Stayed March 2014
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed in the Orleans Cottage Jan 31-Feb 2 and our weekend was wonderful. The cottage included every amenity we could have possibly needed: the continental breakfasts were fresh, the fireplace was especially nice given the weather, the movie selection was great, and the jacuzzi tub even came with bath salts. I loved being right in downtown Saugatuck; we will definitely come again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RSG2014
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

The location -- discreetly just off the main drag in downtown Saugatuck, with some parking -- and (in the cottages) privacy make this a nice option for a cozy weekend stay in this weekend-friendly town. Only thing missing from a typical B&B experience is a common breakfast room; supplies for a private breakfast (yogurt, muffins, cereals, coffee/feas, etc.) await in your room's minifridge. Whether that's a plus or minus depends on you. Congenial hosts who know the territory are, for sure, a positive.

Room Tip: The Tuscany Cottage provides maximum privacy, if that's a priority.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We went in March 2013 for a babymoon, and stayed in the New Orleans cottage for two nights. March in West Michigan is still cold and often snowy, so the location near multiple walkable great restaurants (as well as the folder with menus and personal recommendations in our room) was excellent. I am a neat freak (yes, I look at baseboards), and this tiny room was very clean. Bed even had washable duvet covers and blanket protectors so you knew that you weren't lounging on anything that wasn't your own cooties. Loved the kitchenette - well stocked with popcorn, coffee, teas, hot cocoa, granola bars, chocolates. Breakfast for the next morning was already there when we arrived the prior evening - milk, juice, fresh fruit, homemade muffins, yogurt. This was fantastic as it avoids the inevitable awkward table conversations guests may have at a more traditional b&b. Also, we used it as our snack food for the evening/next day. This room has a skylight, so in the winter can you enjoy both the warmth of the fire and have a bit of the precious daylight stream in and still have privacy. They provide robes, umbrellas, current movies, current magazines, etc. The jacuzzi was plenty big for two (clean!). While Saugatuck has much to offer in the winter, you could have stayed in this cozy room for two days and been happy.

Room Tip: Off season rates are a great deal.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn
The Hotel Saugatuck
The Hotel Saugatuck
#6 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites? Share your experiences!