“A sweet retreat”

Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites
Ranked #2 of 19 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The weekend of April 11 - 13, my girlfriend and I stayed in the Orleans room. It was our first time visiting Saugatuck and this place was the perfect location. We felt like we were in the heart of Saugatuck. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend this place to any couple looking for a quiet, romantic getaway. It was nice having breakfast stocked in the fridge while we were gone during the day. It was ready for us in the morning and we could eat in private.

My only negative comment is on the additional package I purchased - Wine, chocolates and bath salts. Everything was great except for the wine. The bottle had a bunch of dirt around the cork and the wine itself tasted funny. We mentioned it to the owner and he was kind enough to give us another, "new" bottle. Unfortunately we still ran into the same issue. My only recommendation to the owner would be to invest in a different wine.

Other than that, great place and I will be staying there again the next time I visit Saugatuck!

Room Tip: Orleans overall was a great room for two for a romantic getaway!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I spent a fantastic 5 days, April 5-9, at Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites in the Tuscany Cottage. It was a beautiful room with amazing hosts. The cottage was built to give you a small and cozy feel. We have the wonderful fire place and the whirlpool tub, not to mention the amazing muffins, fresh fruit and yogurt. It allowed us the private location and time, but close enough to small town hospitality. Eating at Phil's is a must! The beauty along with the shops and beach made this a wonderful location and we will be back.

Room Tip: Although we stayed in the Tuscany Cottage, all of the locations would be wonderful! Good size beds...
1  Thank RachelVictor
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at The Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The room was lovely, breakfast was delicious and our hosts were lovely. The town of Saugatuck was fantastic, everyone was eager to tell us about their town and how wonderful it is. We couldn't agree more. We are looking forward to our next trip when the weather will be warmer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Orleans and the jetted tub was awesome
1  Thank lisa p
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in the San Juan suite April 4-6 and it was just wonderful! This was our 2nd visit to Hidden Garden and we are already planning our 3rd! Gary and Jonathan are wonderful hosts. From the AWESOME homemade muffins to the bath salts they leave in the bathroom to use with the huge whirlpool tub, you will not be disappointed when staying here. The San Juan is basically a one bedroom apartment and has a great wood burning fireplace. We've also stayed in the Orleans cottage and that was just as wonderful. We cannot wait to come back and check out the Tuscany cottage and the Kilamanjaro suite! Also, it's wonderful to be within walking distance of fun stores and great bars/restaurants (you must try Phil's!). I would definitely recommend this place. We love it here and you will too!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in the San Juan Suite March 23rd - 25th to celebrate her birthday. We had previously stayed in the Tuscany Cottage, and once again the experience was wonderful! Gary and Jonathan never fail to provide all the amenities you could want for a relaxing getaway for two. The San Juan Suite is the largest at Hidden Gardens, with a full kitchen, wood burning fireplace, and plenty of room to stretch out while still maintaining a very cozy feeling. The in-room breakfast is a nice touch, and the muffins are not to be passed up! We have made reservations for New Years Eve in the Orleans Cottage, and are very much looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I attempted to book a room for my honeymoon at Hidden Gardens. I talked to a gentleman about the dates and had everything almost finalized. I told him I would call him back shortly to make the payment to secure the room after I had all the details worked out. (Keep in mind that this was during the day, between the hours of 11am-1pm roughly). I called back about 10 minutes later, no answer. Called back again about 20 minutes later, no answer. Called back about 30 minutes later, no answer. Called back an hour later, no answer. Called back again 4 more times, no answer. I left them a message and told them I was trying to make the payment to reserve the room and gave them my phone number, but no one ever returned my call. I called them about 8 hours later (after having to go to sleep, as I work third shift) and finally spoke to the gentleman, who then informed me that they had booked the room with someone else and they were all full. Terrible experience, but given the information I acquired from this experience, it is probably for the better that I did not stay here... if this is what happened just trying to book a room, I can only imagine how unprofessional the actual stay would have been.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JackieChiles
Lakeffect, Owner at Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

I am so sorry that we were unable to accommodate this person. There are times when we are unable to answer the phone. We are not a Hilton Hotel with a 24 hour front desk. We are a small 2 person run bed and breakfast that must find time between guests to go grocery shopping, run errands, make repairs, clean rooms, do laundry and finally check in new guests. On this particular day I was working by myself. I had already had 3 lengthy conversations with this particular person that did not result in a reservation. It became necessary for me to prioritize my time and to get ready for incoming guests. Why this person called 8 times over a 3 hour period but not leave a message until the 9th call is puzzling to me. We received a reservation request for the same dates via e-mail that same afternoon. I carefully checked when the e-mail came in and when we received the phone message and determined that the e-mail was first. If this person had left a message after his first call, he would have gotten the room. We hope this person found other accommodations in Saugatuck and we ask that he stop by for a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate his wedding.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Tuscany cottage March 15- March 17 . We loved it!!! Everything was perfect, cozy and warm for our relaxing winter getaway. The breakfast basket in your room is a fabulous alternative to communal breakfasts at traditional b&b.

• Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Judson Heath Colonial Inn
Judson Heath Colonial Inn
#11 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites? Share your experiences!