“never again”
Review of Lake Shore Resort

Lake Shore Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I agree with other reviewers. The room did smell old and of chemicals.. I did not like having to cross a road and navigate 100 steps to the beach. I have some arthritis in my knees and those steps were terrible. The main draw, for me, was the water and the steps made it nearly impossible. This is not a resort, really just a plain old motel. The bed was so uncomfortable my back hurt the entire time While there, however, I did find several other locations that will work for me in the future, not nearly as expensive either!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bbaapp

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Beautiful, quiet place with a great beach! Room smelled strongly of cleaning supplies which we remedied by opening the windows. However, the people next to us were sitting outside thier room smoking so that didn't work! A scented candle did the trick. Helpful staff at check-in! The rooms are almost clean and could use an update but we had a pleasant evening.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Susieforthebecki
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The room smelled when we entered it the first time. Like a real old building smell. Used air freshener and candle for all four days of visit. Thought room was clean but on the third day an additional smell of chemical cleanser prevailed. Turns out the stains in the bathroom were not permanent after all! There were problems with the plumbing too. And not just in our room but in all three rooms reserved by my family. The toilet flushed but barely and there were strange gurgling's which resulted in raw sewage coming up in the bathtub on the last morning. When I mentioned this to the woman at the desk (the owner, I guess) did we get a "sorry for your inconvenience" or anything. No, we were chided for not calling them immediately. "What would you do if there was a fire," she scolded. Uh, call 911? The place is not cheap even in off season and we will never stay there again. By the way, the resort is on a bluff separated by a road from the water. It's still a nice view but if you don't want to walk the 90 steps down, go to Oval Beach which isn't too far away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Wordpainter
JoeLSR, Manager at Lake Shore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

I spoke to this guest on the fourth and last morning of her visit when she FIRST mentioned the toilet malfuntion. Within five minutes the toilet was working properly. Since the guest indicted she felt inconvenienced, understandably, I advised that I wished she had called the office at the time of the problem so we could have corrected it immediately. When she said she did not think there was anyone available at 6:00 am, I told her staff is available 24 hours to assist our guests or respond in the event of an emergency such as a fire.

With regard to the condition of the room, we place the highest priorty on cleanliness of our rooms and our record supports this concern. We are disappointed to hear something may have been overlooked by housekeeping. However, if we missed something, we would have appreciated knowing about it during this guest's 4 night stay to resolve the issue rather than hear about it for the first time on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were very happy with our stay at Lake Shore Resort.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, something I am a bit of a stickler on as there is nothing worse than a dirty room that smells :( So for me to say it was clean and comfortable is saying something.
The staff was always available and helpful with any questions we had for them. The breakfast was centennial style with fresh (homemade?) muffins, fruit, yogurt and boiled eggs. Coffee and orange juice. All served in a nice clean kitchen/eating area.
The location of the resort was perfect for us. It is towards the end of Lake Shore Drive so there is very little vehicle traffic, so it was nice and quiet with no problems with taking a stroll on the road.
The views....AWESOME! Beautiful sunsets from many different vantage points, be it on the multi-level deck that leads down to Lake Michigan to the immaculately groomed grounds of the resort.
Star gazing was amazing as you looked over the lake sitting by one of two gas lit fire pits. Also a great vantage point was off the multi-level deck to watch the stars. I was able to see 4 shooting stars from that view.
If you’re looking for a nice quiet place to relax, take in some really beautiful views and rewind...this is the place for you.
I know that we will be going back many times as it really did the trick for us!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vega15
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have been staying at the Lake Shore Resort for over 10 years. Frequently the trip includes my mother & daughter. We love the quiet beauty of the resort. To the front, there is beautiful Lake Michigan with a lovely beach, in back are hiking trails in a wooded area, and in between are gorgeous gardens with small seating areas set up to maximize any view. The rooms are pleasant & immaculate. The staff is polite & helpful. The owners are on-site, but not intrusive. Usually after breakfast (provided by the resort), we head toward either Saugatuck or Holland for some shopping or to see the attractions. Then, we spend quiet time at the resort swimming in the lake or pool, looking at the scenery, hiking or reading before heading out to supper for some fine, casual dining. I can't imagine a year without a trip to Lake Shore Resort.

Room Tip: Call early--in April if possible, but all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Lucinda S
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This would be an amazing place to share with kids or grandkids in the summer. The hotel is old but clean and updated. No old smells. The staff very nice. Free bike use for an hour at a time. Plenty of fun things to do in the area. Art barn. Shopping. Dunes river boat rides.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank 64jodi
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from Lakeshore Resort yesterday. Perfect time of year to visit. This resort has amazing grounds and flower beds. Lots of effort I'm sure goes in to keeping it that way. The view is absolutely spectacular from anywhere on the property. We loved that it was adults only there. Nice and quiet. Perfect place to unplug and relax. We spent a lot of time in the pool. Well maintained and very clean. Our room was nice and clean. The bed was comfortable. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for an escape from a busy life.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WOYB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
Captains Quarters Motel
Captains Quarters Motel
#1 of 10 in Saugatuck
Best Western Plaza Hotel Saugatuck

Been to Lake Shore Resort? Share your experiences!