“Clean, comfy motel”
Review of Ship-N-Shore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Ship-N-Shore Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is clean and the staff is friendly. The rooms were small, but they have all that we needed, with the exception of a coffee pot, but the coffee was good in the lobby. We spent the last weekend here, and didn't have one issue. Check in was fast and easy, as was check out. The breakfast was coffee, juice, bagels, english muffins, and cereal. Nice place to stay, and in Nov. we got a discounted rate from those posted on the website.

Room Tip: We got the upstairs balcony room, it was the best view and was very quiet and comfy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joonbabie
There are newer reviews for Ship-N-Shore Hotel

Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This was a fun place to stay in a great location right on the river. The downside is it is a motel with pretty outdated rooms. The rooms were clean but the outdated shower/bathroom was a little rough. I would stay again for the location, but don't expect a high quality room...

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kyme S
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My wife and I took a "mystery trip" and I booked two nights at the Ship 'n Shore Motel, a place we'd stayed in 18 years ago. I was assured they had updated the rooms since then. Actually, they needed udating 18 years ago. We found them very comfortable and we were able to get an upstairs unit overlooking the garden and the Kalamazoo River (near where it empties into Lake Michigan). A couple of tugs tied up to the sea-wall each night but didn't block our view. You have to pay for that view. For just an average room at the beginning of October, the motel is over-priced at $124 plus taxes. The included breakfast was just okay but the sitting area, with large tables, oversize chairs and fireplaces is quite inviting. Also a nice place to join others having cocktails. The location is handy to the downtown shops and well within walking distance.

We had a problem getting anything on the TV. The clerk said to try something that didn't work, then sent the maintenance man, who knew even less than we did about their cable/satellite system. He tried to change sets and boxes but that wasn't the problem. Finally, a desk clerk came on duty that knew the system and quickly fixed the problem.

We'd go back to the Ship 'n Shore but only if they reduced the tariff a bit.

Room Tip: If you don't mind lugging bags up an outside stairway, choose a unit on the second floor overloo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evergreen007
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed here the week of 10/14/2012. I guess my biggest issue is the price. I have stayed at much nicer hotels in other michigan resort towns for the same price or cheaper. I don't get it. The rooms were clean but small. Some of the hardware in the rooms are old and rusty. The WiFi is unsucured, why ? who knows. The front desk people were friendly. Sometimes I think this town is over rated. The breakfast they have is the basic of the basic. I will probably visit sagatuck again but will never stay here again. For the best burger, go to the bowling alley in Douglas, Mi. It is the town right next to sagatuck.

Room Tip: get a second floor room. better view less noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Living a half hour away, I went to Saugatuck two weeks before a last minute planned gathering, for an October Ladies Getaway. My intention was to find a B&B, but they were either full, or would not let me make a reservation for only one night because it was still considered prime time. I saw the S&S, which was across from 2 B&Bs, but almost didn't check it out because it looked so dated, from the street side.

Well, I am happy I further investigated this option, and made a reservation for two rooms. What I discovered, was an old motel that was cleaner than any hotel I have seen in a very long time. The last hotel I had been to with that level of care was a 5 Star hotel in China, when we adopted our daughter.

The bathroom was old, but spotless .... the tiles in the tub/shower sparkled, as well as the floor.. The bed had a very clean, and appeared new, bedspread. Instead of a blanket, like any other hotel I have been in, it had a duvet that felt crisp and new. The pillows were great as well. It was a cool weekend, so we really appreciated the gathering room, overlooking the water, with a ton of seating around the fireplace. After dinner, we warmed ourselves there and chatted until midnight. The night staff person came over and offered us blankets, to make us feel even more at home.

As everyone else has said, the riverside of the motel is beautiful, with updated landscaping and pool areas. All rooms are technically on the water, but a few of the first floor rooms have views that are somewhat blocked by other extensions of the building.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. I read one comment that the price was high for an old motel, but when you consider it is right on the water in the middle of a resort town, I think what they are asking is not so out of line.

Room Tip: To be assured the best view, you may want to ask for a second floor room. If you are going to be on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Therese D
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and must say was very nice, the setting is gorgeous right on the water with beautiful patio seating where the boats dock on the Kalamazoo river, The room was nice, very clean bed was really comfy, we had the queen room,only thing negative was no coffee maker however continental breakfast was just down the hall and hot water for tea as well. Saugetucket Michigan is beautiful lots of shopping! also hiking and beaches and boat charters and lots of great bars and restaurants! Coral Gables had good food!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBEAR12Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We were in town Labor Day and were looking for a bed and breakfast with no luck. This was one of the few places that had a vacancy! First I was taken back by the price but was tired of driving around looking for a place. I was pleasantly surprised. They have a nice spa pool and regular pool it's on the water. This place is within walking distance of several restaurants and shops. The air conditioner in our room struggled to keep the room cool but it rained over night and cooled down naturally. During the night rain it sounded like we were in a building with a metal roof.

Room Tip: They have water front rooms if you don't get one of them get one on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family