“We keep coming back”
Review of Ship-N-Shore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Ship-N-Shore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Ship'n'shore for several summers and will keep coming back. The hotel is old but we like the quaint retro style that seems to fit the noncommerial town of Saugatuck. The pool, hot tub, and sun deck were renovated in the past few years and provide the perfect spot to sit back and really relax on vacation. And you really can not beat the location. You can walk to pretty much anything including bars, restaurants, and shops and still be right on the water. Our room has always been clean and comfortable, but the wear and tear is apparent on some of the fixtures. Breakfast is nothing special, just the basics of cereal, bagels, and Danishes, but it is very convenient. This is not some kind of fancy resort, but rather a comfortable place to stay off the beaten path and perfect for a relaxing vacation near Lake Michigan.

Room Tip: We love staying in the dock side rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah P

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I needed a break from reality, caring for a parent who is ill and work full time...have gone to Saugatuck since childhood and knew the town...so, I packed a duffle bag and left to find my sanity...stayed at this wonderful place called The Ship & Shore Motel right in town, and right on the Kalamazoo River...my room was on the dock and so comfortable...the owners are fantastic, and they have a wonderful dog named "Biggee" who is the sweetest dog ever...he greeted me in the mornings with kisses...and I had a wonderful, restful 4 days....so much to do...shop, eat,fish,boat...you name it....or you can sit on the chair outside your door, on the dock and read & relax as I did....the motel has a continental breakfast daily and it has such a peaceful atmosphere....I just got back home yesterday, but I did re-book for this October too....they now have my business exclusively....Sue from Alsip,Illinois

Room Tip: Rooms 37 thru 40 are on the dock. Heated pool & sauna in gated patio Loved it
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We have really come to love Saugatuck, and the Ship and Shore is the best place to stay. It isn't fancy, but the location is just perfect. We love to sit out by the pool and enjoy the River at the same time. Step out of your room and you can walk all through Downtown. It would be nice to have a bit more luxury, especially for the price, but I haven't seen that anywhere in the area. From what I see, it is the best show in town. We had a great time.

Room Tip: You can really choose your room when you book. It depends on your preference, so take a look at the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amoelba
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is clean and the staff is friendly. The rooms were small, but they have all that we needed, with the exception of a coffee pot, but the coffee was good in the lobby. We spent the last weekend here, and didn't have one issue. Check in was fast and easy, as was check out. The breakfast was coffee, juice, bagels, english muffins, and cereal. Nice place to stay, and in Nov. we got a discounted rate from those posted on the website.

Room Tip: We got the upstairs balcony room, it was the best view and was very quiet and comfy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joonbabie
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This was a fun place to stay in a great location right on the river. The downside is it is a motel with pretty outdated rooms. The rooms were clean but the outdated shower/bathroom was a little rough. I would stay again for the location, but don't expect a high quality room...

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kyme S
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My wife and I took a "mystery trip" and I booked two nights at the Ship 'n Shore Motel, a place we'd stayed in 18 years ago. I was assured they had updated the rooms since then. Actually, they needed udating 18 years ago. We found them very comfortable and we were able to get an upstairs unit overlooking the garden and the Kalamazoo River (near where it empties into Lake Michigan). A couple of tugs tied up to the sea-wall each night but didn't block our view. You have to pay for that view. For just an average room at the beginning of October, the motel is over-priced at $124 plus taxes. The included breakfast was just okay but the sitting area, with large tables, oversize chairs and fireplaces is quite inviting. Also a nice place to join others having cocktails. The location is handy to the downtown shops and well within walking distance.

We had a problem getting anything on the TV. The clerk said to try something that didn't work, then sent the maintenance man, who knew even less than we did about their cable/satellite system. He tried to change sets and boxes but that wasn't the problem. Finally, a desk clerk came on duty that knew the system and quickly fixed the problem.

We'd go back to the Ship 'n Shore but only if they reduced the tariff a bit.

Room Tip: If you don't mind lugging bags up an outside stairway, choose a unit on the second floor overloo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evergreen007
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed here the week of 10/14/2012. I guess my biggest issue is the price. I have stayed at much nicer hotels in other michigan resort towns for the same price or cheaper. I don't get it. The rooms were clean but small. Some of the hardware in the rooms are old and rusty. The WiFi is unsucured, why ? who knows. The front desk people were friendly. Sometimes I think this town is over rated. The breakfast they have is the basic of the basic. I will probably visit sagatuck again but will never stay here again. For the best burger, go to the bowling alley in Douglas, Mi. It is the town right next to sagatuck.

Room Tip: get a second floor room. better view less noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
#2 of 10 in Saugatuck
Blue Star Motel
Blue Star Motel
#1 of 4 in Douglas

Been to Ship-N-Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!