“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Ship-N-Shore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Ship-N-Shore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We've stayed here many times through the years as my brother and his wife got married in the gazebo close to the motel 17 years ago. Though it is pricey for a motel (it is a motel) - especially considering the 2-night minimum on weekends - most of our group agrees that there is nowhere else we'd rather stay in Saugatuck. The rooms definitely could use updating but they meet our needs (our king room had refrigerator, sink, bistro table with 2 chairs). The rooms face the river so you can watch the boats go by and you face either the pool or the garden area which both views are great. There is also a nice covered gathering area in between for groups to hang out if the weather is not cooperating. There is a convenience store a short walk away and all the shops/restaurants/bars are within walking distance. They have a continental breakfast from like 7-10 in the mornings. It would be nice if they added small coffee makers to the room (note to self for next time to bring our own!).

This year we took the chain ferry across the river (which is right next to the motel) - it costs $1 per person each way (plus tips). It's then a half mile hilly walk to Lake Michigan. Before returning on the ferry we checked out the Mr. Baldy(?) steps - over 300 wooden stairs to the top with landings to rest. So we did it and there is a beautiful view of the bay at the top - a great workout. HIghly recommend, but have been sore for 3 days since!

We'll definitely be back to Ship 'n Shore again. Like some others, the only reason I gave it 4 stars is because it's not a 5 star "motel." And the cost prohibits some of our friends from going (they don't want to spend over $200 a night for a motel room), but we apparently think it's worth it since we will return!

Room Tip: This is a 2 story motel and there are no elevators. If you have trouble with steps, request a room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gertiepearl

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The only reason I do not give this motel a 5 star review is because it is not a 5 star motel but close! The Ship'n Shore is a cute little place on the St. Marys river. We were in a garden view room which was perfect for people without children. I like rooms that open up to the outdoors and have plenty of seating outside to enjoy. The pool was very nice and I am sure is crowded on the weekends. Overall a very nice, clean, and friendly motel. I agree with some reviews, it does have the 60's feel but it is clean and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Request garden view if traveling without children.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bellarosa1
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I grew up in Saugatuck and always enjoy going back to visit with my wife. This Motel is in a great location, convenient to all downtown shops, restaurants and bars. It is very clean, in particular the pool area and grounds adjacent. Yes, the rooms are dated, likely back to the 60's.....that is OK since it is very clean. I do wish however they would update the televisions and remotes as I enjoy sitting in the common area during their very nice continental breakfast and watch the news. I will definitely stay here during my next visit to Saugatuck in hopes they update the televisions and remotes.

Room Tip: Kingsized beds/rooms are the best of the ones I have stayed in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Troprocker
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

So it's not new and could use a bit of upgrades but the location was great! A block walk to the shops of Saugatuck and right on the water for a fun view. It was pricey but also Memorial Day weekend so I can't comment about normal prices. Overall a very convenient location and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank smartang22
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Ship'n'shore for several summers and will keep coming back. The hotel is old but we like the quaint retro style that seems to fit the noncommerial town of Saugatuck. The pool, hot tub, and sun deck were renovated in the past few years and provide the perfect spot to sit back and really relax on vacation. And you really can not beat the location. You can walk to pretty much anything including bars, restaurants, and shops and still be right on the water. Our room has always been clean and comfortable, but the wear and tear is apparent on some of the fixtures. Breakfast is nothing special, just the basics of cereal, bagels, and Danishes, but it is very convenient. This is not some kind of fancy resort, but rather a comfortable place to stay off the beaten path and perfect for a relaxing vacation near Lake Michigan.

Room Tip: We love staying in the dock side rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I needed a break from reality, caring for a parent who is ill and work full time...have gone to Saugatuck since childhood and knew the town...so, I packed a duffle bag and left to find my sanity...stayed at this wonderful place called The Ship & Shore Motel right in town, and right on the Kalamazoo River...my room was on the dock and so comfortable...the owners are fantastic, and they have a wonderful dog named "Biggee" who is the sweetest dog ever...he greeted me in the mornings with kisses...and I had a wonderful, restful 4 days....so much to do...shop, eat,fish,boat...you name it....or you can sit on the chair outside your door, on the dock and read & relax as I did....the motel has a continental breakfast daily and it has such a peaceful atmosphere....I just got back home yesterday, but I did re-book for this October too....they now have my business exclusively....Sue from Alsip,Illinois

Room Tip: Rooms 37 thru 40 are on the dock. Heated pool & sauna in gated patio Loved it
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We have really come to love Saugatuck, and the Ship and Shore is the best place to stay. It isn't fancy, but the location is just perfect. We love to sit out by the pool and enjoy the River at the same time. Step out of your room and you can walk all through Downtown. It would be nice to have a bit more luxury, especially for the price, but I haven't seen that anywhere in the area. From what I see, it is the best show in town. We had a great time.

Room Tip: You can really choose your room when you book. It depends on your preference, so take a look at the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amoelba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
#2 of 10 in Saugatuck
Blue Star Motel
Blue Star Motel
#1 of 4 in Douglas

Been to Ship-N-Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!